“Hotel - Value for Money - Welcoming” 4 of 5 stars

Mount Errigal Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ballyraine, Letterkenny, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Letterkenny
Dublin, Ireland
“Hotel - Value for Money - Welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

After reading all the negative reports i was a bit skeptical about my booking..
How wrong was I?
i sometimes wonder what people expect from busy hotels especially if u book on a budget or package deal.
The Mount Errigal is one the busiest i've ever stayed in and i definitely will be back again.
Reception staff were professional and pleasant, the bar staff were very busy on both nights but always had time to ask how our day was. the food was first class in both bar and the restaurant. (i recommend the Homemade Burgers in the bar)
the room we stayed in was clean, tidy and very comfortable.
the towels were changed every day.
For breakfast there was a large variety of food from croissants to cereal to yoghurt.
the full cooked was well presented and plenty for everyone, No one batted and eye-lid when my husband decided he wanted some seconds!(according to reception when we were checking out there was over 300 staying on both mornings)

the hotel is a child friendly hotel and they dont seem to mind kids running around however i did notice that some parents must have thought it was a creche and were not supervising their young!

overall i'd like to say Thank You for a lovely stay and for being made feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ErrigalSales, Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thanks a million for your glowing review, it makes all our hard & efforts very worthwhile indeed!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Donegal soon!

Carolynne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Spent last weekend here with my wife and 2 kids. Heard a great family offer on the radio. I really canny believe some people's views. We got 3 nights dinner B and B for 329 euros, for that we got a brilliant all u can eat brekky & dinner every night. It's clear that the included dinner is not going to be a la cart with linen napkins from the price so I have to laugh at some people's expectations. I preferred the carvers set up cus they had toys and a DVD for the Wayne's. the rooms were massive with two double bed and spotlessly clean, the pool facilities were well kept and clean too. Each night a DVD was played in a wee cinema room. We had a great family holiday, the staff are great and there is always a manager nearby should you want to talk to them. I sat in the lobby with a coffee while my wife took her usual ten hours to get ready and all I heard was compliments from people checking out so I couldn't believe what I read from the last couple of people on here, either that or they lied to the receptionist I don't know, maybe they are just cowards who can't speak up for themselves but they do a mighty job on the computer eh! Not nice in my opinion. I had a small problem when here, nothing major, I spoke to the manager Joanne and it was sorted straight away and she checked on us after to make sure all was in order, great customer service and it didn't affect our hols. We will be back again in mid term this is a great hotel with great food, rooms and facilities. When staying here lurgy brack fun farm and tropical world are only 5 minutes drive and great for kids.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ErrigalSales, Sales & Marketing Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thanks a million for your glowing review, it makes all our efforts worthwhile.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have to say I travel a lot and have stayed in a lot of hotels and this is by far the worst hotel breakfast i have ever had. We were down at 9am (breakast was 8am - 10.30am) and it is self service, as is common in a lot of hotels. So went to cereal area, looked like something in a canteen, no labels on milk to say whether it was full fat, low fat etc. Juice in plastic jugs, warm.
Went to hot section, well I actually dont know how to describe how bad the food looked. The fried eggs were obviously there for ages and swimming in grease, the rashers looked like you would need a craving knife to cut them, scrambled egg was obviously powdered egg and looked disgusting, mushrooms were black which is a sure sign they were deep fried. I chanced a few hash browns and sausages. Steak knife again needed to cut hash brown and once i wiped the grease off the sausage, it tasted that bad i wish i hadnt bothered. So i had a slice of soda bread. It would have been lovely if it hadnt been overdosed with sugar.

The hotel i would say was once fab, but now it is gone very grubby. Very badly needs a lick of paint. The rooms were lovely, nice and big and the staff were friendly. The only thing I did not understand was why we had a front facing room as there is a seating area to the front of the hotel which was used on the saturday night by guests from a wedding into the small hours of the morning. I would have thought as non wedding/hen night guests we would have been put at the back of the hotel away from potential noisey spots. This is what i did when i worked in hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ErrigalSales, Sales & Marketing Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
I am really shocked to read your review. I genuinely can't understand that if you felt the breakfast was extremely below par, that you didn't mention this to any of our available serving Staff, Chef's or Management present in the breakfast room. On check out you would have been asked if everything was ok with your stay and you must have insisted it was nice, otherwise a manager would have been contacted to speak to you before departure.

I don't think your account is consistent to what you experienced; it is most likely a complete exaggeration of events. If I am wrong, I apologise whole heartedly, however, last weekend we had more than 300 guests for breakfast every morning and you are the first to raise such extreme issues.
I can assure you that our scrambled eggs are not powdered; they are prepared fresh throughout the breakfast service. The Soda Bread made fresh here has always got great compliments, this is the first time anyone had anything negative to say about it.

As regards the hotel being grubby, I can confirm that there isn't a wall in the hotel that has not been painted within the last couple of months.

I think your review is unfair. Your opinion is diametrically at odds with the majority of reviewers on this site who have complemented our buffet breakfast.

It is absolutely heart-breaking to get a review like this, especially when the person in question would have had ample opportunity to raise concerns directly with us at the hotel, however, they decided to check out, say everything was perfect and take to the keyboard from the comfort of their own home anonymously. I think that says a lot about a personality.

Regards
trillick
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

stayed for 3 nights booked a 3 night family package to include food each night. I was so disappointed and annoyed ,almost insulted to think that any family would accept this as edible food. I felt like the budget deal family kept away from the better class guest.We were in a large cold function room with children running about. I observed the quality of food in the main restaurant and bar and thought mine would be similar it was terrible canteen food kept warm and dished out like the school canteen ,I could not eat my soggy fish it was horrible!!!! I did complain and did get a complimentary upgrade to the restaurant on my second night and then a voucher for the bar food on my third night which was delicious the quality of food you expect as a paying guest it was of a high standard so it makes me annoyed what we were expected to accept on our first night. I did feel uncomfortable that I had to complain but do appreciate that my complaint was taken seriously. The manager was great.

Our accommodation was very cramped for a family of 6, three double beds in the one room and it was very dowdy and dated in desperate need of an upgrade. Bathroom very small.Only one plug in the bedroom always a fight who was going to get to charge their phone or ipod!!!! Interconnecting rooms in hindsight would have been better. I did have this at 2 other hotels I stayed in at the start of the week for only 20 euros more for each night. i think because these hotels were so much better and of a higher standard my stay in the Mount Errigal spoiled the end of my holiday. I wish I had of stayed in County Clare as my hotel in Clare had more for kids entertainment was provided on each night.

To end on a positive note restaurant and pub food delicious sorry I had to complain to get this level of food, all food no matter what deal you on should be edible. Families on a family break should not be treated like 2nd class guests..
A great leisure center and pool.

Thanks to the manager for dealing with my complaint but I think others still need to be warned to avoid the family platter.

Room Tip: Don't have the family platter! 3 double beds in the 1 room too cramped book interconnecting room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are absolutely devastated by your review. You were on our 'all in family offer' which includes a carvery dinner each night, bed, breakfast, full use of leisure centre, free inhouse cinema for the kids, based on a family of 4, this is only €329 all in - however, you did not have children with you, you had adults, all your kids were well above 12 years old - so to think that you were insulted, even though we did not challenge the fact that your 4 offspring had adult portions without any extra charge is beyond me.
You were more than welcome to book adjacent rooms, we explained to you that the room would be cramped with 2 adults and 4 kids, however, at that stage we were not aware that your children were in fact adults, so I agree, it would have been cramped but this was your choice because you did not want to pay the extra money for the extra room.
The inclusive meal in the family package includes a 2 course carvery for the adults and a 3 course for the kids, it is made very clear on our website and your confirmation email would have highlighted what was included. On the carvery, you were offered a choice of 6 main courses. It was also explained, that should you prefer a more formal dining setting, the opportunity to pay for an upgrade to the restaurant is available, or you can use your credit in the bar for food.

When our General Manager Johanne Ferguson upgraded you to the restaurant free of charge, we assumed that you were happy, especially since it was in fact 6 adult meals that were served and a supplement of €125 that was waived.
Our family package is very popular; it offers excellent value for money for those families on a tight budget. The package includes dinner every night on a rate that typically would only get you B&B in a family room. The majority appreciate this value.

I genuinely believe that we could have done nothing more to accommodate you & that your expectations as regards value for money are certainly not rational.

coalisland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

we stayed for a couple of days with our teenage daughter, overall it was a decent hotel the beds were not very comfortable, also we were disappointed our 15 year old was not allowed to use the jacuzzi or sauna & steam room as they were for over eighteens only. This should be made clear when booking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay, I'm delighted you were impressed and sorry you did not expect your 15 year old to be permitted to use the sauna, steam room or Jacuzzi, however, on our website it clearly states the following in red print:
Please note, children 18 years and under cannot use the Sauna, Steam Room or Jacuzzi for Health & Safety Reasons. For further information on this policy, visit www.swimireland.ie Children 12 years and under must have an adult in the pool with them at all times, children aged 13 - 16 must have an adult in the facility at all times.
I'm sorry if you missed this & if it disappointed you, however, the policy is in the best interest of the safety of your child.

Bromborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We enjoyed 3 nights in the mount errigal hotel, this weekend. The hotel has everything we needed. Our room was facing a noisy street. Would stay again and loved donegal. Would, however, ask for a room to the back next time. Thanks to the staff for a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ErrigalSales, Sales & Marketing at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your positive review, we are delighted you enjoy your stay and had a great time at the wedding!

we look forward to welcoming you back

Wexford IRl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just returned form a 3 night weddind party stay at this hotel.The first impression was of a very dated hotel in need of serious re-investment and re-furb.The room was a decent size but again carpets and curtains were very 80ish .The bed wer disastrous,just worn out, and uncomfortable as a result.Food was average,breakfast buffet being somewhat of a cattle market feeling . In the main the staff were friendly and accomodating,especially at reception.Overall disappointed in view of the reviews on here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I'm very dis-heartened to read your review. We are a family owned & operated hotel who have spent a significant amount of money on refurbishing our property this past year. Our Leisure Centre, Bar, Function Room & Bedrooms have all been refurbished to a very high standard. We make no secret of the fact that we are traditional in our taste - which appeals to most who want to experience Donegal, I'm sorry if this was not to your particular taste.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our spacious rooms & great staff.

Regards
Carolynne

Been to Mount Errigal Hotel? Share your experiences!