“I won't be back.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Letterkenny
ireland
“I won't be back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel twice if not three times before and I always found it to be okay but that was definitely not what I found this time. On walking into the room on the first evening I took a quick look around, my first impressions were not good, the sideboard had coffee tracks on it, there was only one spoon on the tray, only enough towels in the bathroom for two people, we are a family of four, the kettle was on a low shelf at the right level for my two year old to reach! The sink in the bathroom looked dirty, especially around the taps and there were no extra pillows. All this after hauling two kids and bags up two flights of stairs to a 'family room' in which there was no space to swing a cat! The travel cot in which my 6 month old was to sleep had more give in it than a wheel, it was very unsteady. There was no air conditioning and the window neither opened or closed properly. Within 5 minutes of being there my very inquisitive 2 year old found someone's hair curler at the end of his bed.the phone cord was taped into the socket again within easy reach of my 2 year old. We found a piece of glass in our 2 year olds bed and some on the bedroom floor, the shower head fell off on my husband while he was in the shower. Another family member staying in a different room got locked in her bathroom when the handle, that was held in place with one screw, came off in her hand, and yet another family member had to have her key reactivated on numerous occasions. On our 2nd day/third night there our room was not serviced due to it not being done while we were gone for 3 hours but instead they came to do it when we were putting our 2 year old down for a nap. On the food side, we had meals included for three nights but only ate there 1 night. It was just okay, the staff seemed fed up and not overly friendly. Breakfast on Saturday morning was fine but Sunday morning was a joke. I asked several wait staff if they had coffee to which they replied, no it's tea, but never offered to get me coffee or tell the coffee person that I was looking for coffee. There didn't seem to be anyone in charge. On Monday morning I asked one of the waitstaff to clear a table beside some family members and explainedvI wanted to sit beside family but she replied there were lots of tables free in the restaurant so I had to ask her again if she would clear it for me as that was where I wanted to sit. The very nice receptionist managed to get a fan for us on our last night as the room was like a furnace. Another issue with the room is the lack of plugs, accessable or otherwise. The receptionist was excellent and very apologetic when I told her about the glass in the bed incident upon checking out and said we should have said it earlier and git soneone to rehoover the room, I didn't like to point out that it should have been hoovered properly in the first place, nor did I point out to her, when she told me that shewould make a note on our names to the effect that we would be compensated for the issues the next time we stay, that I will never stay there again, nor will any of the other family members who stayed there last weekend and there were 10 of us in total. The wait staff and housekeeping staff all need to be trainedcproperly and inspected throughout the day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ErrigalSales, Sales & Marketing Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
I'm really surprised & disappointed to read your review today. I was beside our receptionist when you checked out and you only highlighted a minor issue with your room, and you said you were just mentioning for our information and that everything else was great.
I sincerely wish you had informed a manager of your disappointment with your room. As a valued repeat guest, we would have had no issue with upgrading you to an executive room.
As regards the rest of your family, they all seemed very happy when checking out.

We encourage constructive feedback, however, it is very difficult to confirm or investigate any issues you have raised following your stay.

We hope you can accept our apology on this occasion. We would have appreciated the opportunity to make things right for you & your family.

Carolynne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

we arrived at this hotel last Saturday and all was going well until we saw the stag and hen parties arrive. We were in room 104 and on the Saturday night when the stag and hen parties arrived back to the hotel at 2am all hell broke loose in rooms 105 and 106.

The foul language was so bad that I had to put earphones on my two kids to drown out the noise and then the wrecking and fighting started form 2am to 5am even though I called the reception three times nothing was done until the stags fell asleep.

We had knocking and kicking at our door and guys sleeping on the corridor outside our room which was a scary experience for all.

They were up again at 8am and still making a mess and could not care about other guests but I blame the hotel for first of all taking bookings of stag and hen parties and placing them in rooms beside families and then not dealing with the issues when reported.

we were moved to a better room on the Sunday night but the kids were so scared form the previous night that they did not want to stay and were awake most of the night incase the mayhem would start again.

This could be a nice hotel if run better as the staff in the bar and leisure centre were very nice and the hotel is nice in general but we had a very bad experience as above that I would not wish on anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I'm really sorry to read your review this morning. I hope you can accept my sincerest apologies for the behaviour of the group near you. We do not accept stag parties, however, this particular group booked on a 3rd party website and we had no way of telling it was a stag until they arrived. We did give them a very serious warning on check in and they assured us that they would behave.
I can totally understand your frustration having two young kids myself. I sincerely wish you had spoken to me before departure.

I have every confidence that your next stay will be enjoyable and relaxing.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

second time at this hotel great family deal good area to see donegal from children loved it we will be back before the end of summer plenty for everyone to do the staff in all areas of the hotel cannot do enough to help they are brilliant with children as well as adults

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are really happy we have impressed you & your young family again! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warmest Regards
Monaghan, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We found a fantastic deal for the Mount Errigal Hotel through a booking website however as we were booking last minute, I thought I had best ring reception first to see if there was availability. The girl I got was fantastic. She offered us the same deal price which was great. I asked her if there were any rooms with bigger beds as I am pregnant (and extra room would be great in a big bed) and she was more than happy to oblige us with a upgrade to a "superior" room for a lesser premium than normal - fantastic, very friendly, warm and helpful girl. I wish I got her name, she had dark blonde hair and I'm not sure where her accent was from, she is very good at her job.

We arrived around 9.30pm and checked in, first impressions were all good. Having never been to Letterkenny before, it is in a fab location, very near shops etc. I had read some reviews here before coming and had noted some people had said "old carpet, smokey smell in the corridors etc" but as long as our room was clean and comfortable, I was happy! When we got to the room, it was just that - clean, more basic than Id thought but with a lovely big bed.

However, there were a few things that we noticed when we settled in:
1. The room was very very warm, so we opened the window which only opened slightly and the other window wouldn't open at all.
2. The mini fridge wouldn't work no matter which socket my hubbie put it in, (I had bought a wee bit of milk for making tea as receptionist said there would be one but pointless as it wouldn't work.)
3. The remote for the tv wouldn't work.
4. There were two pillows on one side of the bed and only one on the other side - an extra blanket was provided, but no extra pillow.
5. Just as we were settled and ready for bed, the music started below. We were in room 331 just above the front of the hotel. We watched tv until the music finished, and then got to sleep.

I can honestly say I have never ever complained in my life about a hotel, I would cringe at the thought of doing this! But the next morning after breakfast, I asked at reception for the extra pillow, tv remote to be fixed and mini bar fixed. The lady I got was great, said no problem, again very helpful.

Returned from the hotel after a bit of shopping - extra pillow, and mini fridge working, fab! Tv remote still wasn't fixed but I didn't want to make a fuss so I didn't say anymore, it was no big deal.

Saturday night noise though was atrocious. Friday wasn't too bad, we could hack the noise as we watched tv to drown it out but Saturday was ridiculous. From taxis, party buses and cars blasting music in the front carpark, to the music blasting from the bar. You can 100% tell this is party central for hens and stags. Terrible nights sleep.

Breakfast on the Saturday morning went well. Self service, usual cereals and good fry available, only annoying thing was cold toast. However Sunday morning breakfast - what an absolute joke.

Again here is what went wrong:
1. Literally no word of a lie - no clean or even cleared tables available. There were empty tables alright but dirty dishes all over them. My hubbie went to get us two frys.
2. The breakfast waiters are an absolute joke. I accept it was busy and they were under pressure but I asked another waiter could he help me clear a table and he said one if the girls would, nobody was about. I went and cleared a table myself for us. I cleared dishes from one table and placed them on another. No big deal, annoying but I was happy to be sitting - mornings and pregnancy don't do well for me!
3. I went and asked a waitress would she have any cutlery and extra cups. She snapped at me and pointed to the dresser and said help yourself. Now I have been a waitress before, I totally understand the pressures of it, but manners are basic no matter how stressed you get! Anyway I went and set the table myself. Hubbie came back with breakfast.
4. Another waitress came over asking if we wanted tea or coffee. I got tea, hubbie asked for coffee. The same girl, yes same girl came back 3 times with that teapot to us asking if we wanted anymore tea, after repeatedly telling the girl we asked for a coffee, my hubbie just gave in and took tea! The staff just do not care at all, certainly no service with a smile anyway and would run away from you than help you.

So after a terrible nights sleep and a disaster at breakfast, I thought I would see if there was any chance we could have the room for a little while longer, a later checkout to catch another wee quick snooze. I could but for an extra €10. Needless to say I didn't want to pay the hotel anymore than we had. We packed up and checked out.

This is not an ideal getaway. It is a party venue. We used the side doors of the hotel during our stay as they were open and handy to get into the side carpark - they are littered with ciggerette butts, lovely to tramp through in your flip flops! One evening we had parked the car in the top right space at the right side of the hotel, used condom lying beside the car - just disgusting. I got such a feeling that it is just this kind of hotel. I guarantee you that condom is still there as will all the cigerette butts!

So all in all the one and only redeeming feature is the receptionist staff. That really is it. Professional, friendly and helpful. But it ends there. The hotel is too noisy, definitely hen party central, ridiculous breakfast staff and service. I have never even wrote a review on TripAdvisor before, this has made me do it.

Do not book here for a wee weekend away. The hotel brochure states that it is the very best in luxury accommodation. What a farce. So so disappointed. You will got no sleep unless you're there to party and good luck with the extra self service for breakfast - enjoy the experience of your luxury accommodation while you clear your own table!

Never ever again.

Room Tip: Don't choose one at all, if you have to stay here, get a room away from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ErrigalSales, Sales & Marketing Manager at Mount Errigal Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We are really dis-heartened to read your review. Your views are at odds with the majority of reviews on this site; however, one unhappy customer is too much in our standards.

I sincerely wish you had addressed your issues with management. I'm delighted you were impressed with our reception team, I'm also happy that Meave our head receptionist upgraded you to a superior free of charge saving you €30 per night. On the first night when you noticed the fridge not working etc, you should have contacted reception immediately, we encourage this. I'm happy that everything was repaired the following morning after you highlighted it.

As regards breakfast, you enjoyed your experience the first morning. I can only assume that the second morning you came down at the very end of service when it is extremely busy. I apologise about how you were treated by one of our waiters, this is not acceptable and not consistent with the usually very positive feedback we get about our staff. On the Sunday morning we had numerous, clean, set tables in the Great Room, however, some guests, including you preferred to sit specific tables near the buffet - perhaps we should have been better at informing guests of these tables past the buffet.

We make no secret of the fact that we are a busy hotel, in fact, most hotels are busy on a Saturday night. If you are seeking a more tranquil experience I would suggest a hotel that is more remote than us (we are within walking distance of the town) and possibly midweek.

Our guests are primarily a mixture of young Families, European groups, Active Retired groups and a smaller amount of young couples and groups of ladies. We are by no means a 'hen & stag' central.

I'm sorry on this occasion that we did not impress you. I'm confident, that if you came midweek, you would have an enjoyable stay.

Mullingar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The rooms were clean and the town of Letterkenny was a good choice for touring and a visit to Northern Ireland.
However, the food was not very good. Two nights running during the evening meal I asked for vegetables because the dish provided had run out and I was told ;we have none left but you can have turnips'. Not very good.
Also the service at breakfast was awful. You either had to ask for tea or wait for at least 10 minutes. The breakfast food was not presented very well and the waitress/waiter service was not good.
I stayed here during June 2013, would not recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
I'm really sorry to hear your stay was not consistent with the majority of our guests. I sincerely wish you had addressed any issues directly with us so we could have rectified them immediately.

I will of course look into your claims, however, without any specific dates & no record of any such issues it makes it really difficult to pin point.

I'm confident that should you return, you will be very impressed.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a hen weekend in this hotel and I cannot stop telling people about how good it was. The deal we got was fantastic the staff we the nicest and would do anything for you the food was gorgeous and location great. Special mention has to go to Darren our cocktail coach, ciaran the barman and last but not leadt declan the night porter who god love them all got tortured but were especially poor declan who had us 2 nights into the early hours.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent Hen weekend with us! Our Sex & The City and Hens in Heels Packages get great reviews indeed!
We look forward to welcoming you back with your other half and or family, keep an eye on our special offers page for the best deals, or give us a buzz!

Warmest Regards
Navan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

the wife and i attended a wedding here last weekend. The venue itself is quite easy to find on the outer ring road around Letterkenny but yet walkable distance to town. The reception area and lobby is very large and spacious. The receptionist was polite and checked us in promptly. We stayed in Room 112 I believe, its on the ground floor. Our first impressions were not good at all, as we opened the corridor door leading to our bedroom we were nearly knocked out by the smell of smoke only to pass room 116 which was a designated smoking room, horrible!! Was not overally impressed by our own room either, small compact & outdated only for we were attending a wedding we wouldn't have stayed.

The wedding room is quite large, warm and accomodating. There is a large bar to order drinks from. The staff were all very nice and polite and helpful. The pints were good and nicely priced. The food at this wedding was delicious, a starter of bacon cesar salad for me, vegetable soup, beef and apple pie, really was good!! the staff cleared up the dining area fairly rapid for the dancing to begin. We then danced and drank the night away with no issues. Had a couple of jars in the residents bar and toddled off to the cot at 07.30am, great craic.

I would stay here again but not down on the lower level where we were put, horrible smell of smoke, everything else was A.O.K

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review and constructive feedback. We are delighted you had a fabulous experience at a recent wedding with us, our team of Chef's will be chuffed with your kind words.
It sounds like you had a great time! Should you wish to return, we have various room types available that may be more to your taste, executive, superior & suites are also available with a small supplement. You stayed in our standard bedrooms which have just been refurbished.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Carolynne

Been to Mount Errigal Hotel? Share your experiences!