“Friendly staff, great facilities” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clanree Hotel

You added Clanree Hotel to your Saves list
Clanree Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derry Road, Letterkenny, Ireland (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Letterkenny
Paris, France
“Friendly staff, great facilities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Had a four night stay in this beautiful hotel last week on a coach trip. The staff were very warm and friendly. We had a room at the back of the hotel which was quiet. Good sized room with two large beds (with duvets), nice bathroom with Dove & Lux shower gel, flat screen television (not a great choice of channels though) towels changed, room well cleaned and tidied every day, free wit-fi throughout including in the bar.
Used the pool three times at 7 am just after opening when it was quiet (there was an aquagym class around 8/30 pm when we passed but possibly not every night) - extra towels are provided. Also a steam room, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room .... They insist on a swimcap but will sell you one for a few euros (3 I think). Also tried the workout room which was very well equipped with three running machines, two steppers and a rowing machine. There's also a weights room which I didn't check out.
Good choice of hot and cold for breakfast. The evening meal was lovely - I had fish all week which was delicious with a choice of roast or mashed potatoes (or both) and two or three other vegetables. My partner has a good appetite but the portions here were very ample even for him!
Would advise getting souvenirs in Donegal Town as there don't seem to be many souvenir shops in Derry (but this is certainly worth a visit) or Letterkenny and don"t risk your life crossing the busy road to get to the tourist office down from the hotel as they don't even sell postcards. Left some postcards at the hotel which the staff were kind enough to post & even get stamped for me.
Really enjoyed our stay in the Clanree Hotel and would be happy to go back. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Look for a room at the back as the road outside is very busy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Clanree, Guest Relations Manager at Clanree Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your glowing review of your recent stay with us! We are delighted by your comments and we look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have been doing coach trips for 25 years and this is the first time that I have not felt like a second class citizen because I was with a coach party.
This hotel is everything it says in the brochure and more.
Food was first class, room was first class staff first class and facilities were the best I'v seen.
The only problem was at meal times there was only 2 waiting staff for around 90 guests. Other
than that I would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel can be a little noisy during the day as it is on a main road, but it tend to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the team at the Clanree Hotel thank you so much for taking time out to write about your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your comments & it makes all our efforts worthwhile when we get reviews like yours, once again many thanks & we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I am om the way back to Scotland after a 4 night stay.All the staff were friendly and helpful.The food was good and ample portions room and bathroom spotless swimming pool etc great.Will definetly pay another visit
Only downfall trying to get across the road to the Dry Arch. Pat.Lennon 16/11/2012

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you also for taking the time to advise other travellers about your Clanree Hotel experience. We take great pride in looking after all our valued guests ensuring that we provide a warm and welcoming atmosphere and a memorable stay.We look forward to welcoming you back to the Clanree Hotel in the future.
strabane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Beautiful hotel. Front of house staff friendly but the older lady serving breakfast very rude whilst serving 'buffet breakfast'.. it was if she didnt want to be there and we were just bothering her coming up to get our food.
Room was clean but bed not made properly and small tears in curtain.
Wouldnt go back, Mount Errigal just up the road a bit much better hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review I am very sorry to read that your stay was not completely enjoyable, we will certainly take on board your valuable comments and work at improving our offering. Once again many thanks.
U K
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My friend and I have just returned from this hotel after attending an Irish Language festival in the town. Our room was fine and the beds comfortable. However when I showered on Saturday evening at eight o'clock there was not a drop of hot water. Not pleasant especially since the weather was so cold and I was trying to warm up.
We found Reception and bar staff pleasant but didn't appreciate the long wait we had after ordering coffee and sandwiches in the bar at lunchtime on Saturday. The coffee was served almost immediately but we waited for a full half-hour before the sandwiches arrived. Very poor service ... we weren't even offered another coffee to accompany the sandwiches.
I don't think we will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay and offering us some constructive feedback, I am very disappointed to read your review and I apologise that we did not live up to your expectations. We will take your comments on board to further improve our standard of service of which our guests expect.Once Again, Many Thanks.
Abbeyleix, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is my first ever negative review. This hotel has so much potential. It has a fine leisure centre. Pool, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and kid's pool are all very good. Judging by other reviews here we must have been very unlucky with the staff there for our stay as we did not find them in any way friendly or helpful. Although it was mid-term Halloween break it was very quiet in the hotel. There is no kids club. We knew this before we travelled but did not mind as our kids are older and almost past that anyway. We had a 4 course meal for the adults included in our package and booked into the restaurant for 7.30pm on the day of our arrival. The restaurant never opened that night though even though we had told staff we were waiting for it to open as were were down a little early for our meal. A barman said he would check it out and come back to us as it did not look like opening. He did not come back to us. We went to reception and they advised us to use the bar as the restaurant was not opening as it was too quiet. We were told to explain to the bar staff we had a voucher for the adults meals. I went to the bar and picked up some menus while waiting for bar staff member to come over. She told me to take a seat and she would be down in a minute. 20 minutes later she arrived down and we ordered immediately as we were starving. Our starters and kids mains came out together as requested but our starters (garlic mushrooms) were cold, not luke warm. When the bar man collecting our plates asked how the starters were I told him they were nice but cold. I have never done this before and now am not sure if there was any point telling him anyway as that was the last we heard about it! The delay between the courses was extreme. We did not mind as we had no other plans for the night but ended up not even ordering tea/coffee as it was after 10pm and were all tired from long day and could not wait another half hour for them! The bar and restaurant were not busy so there was no excuse for the long delays as far as I could see. We asked for the bill and luckily I held on to it. When we went to check out the receptionist tried to charge us more than on the bill. She was unwilling to go through the bar receipt I had clearly outlining the steak supplements, kids meals, extra dessert and wine. First she said we had not been charged steak supplements, then said we had not been charged for the bottle of wine and in the end had the cheek to say to me after going off to copy my bar receipt that they were going to just charge me the amount on the bill as if I was after doing them out of money! She offered that I could see the manager and for the first time in my life I met a hotel manager. I can see now why the staff have such a lack of interest in their customers as it comes from the top down. It was a waste of 5 minutes I'll never get back as the manager did nothing only nod when I explained all the above and said she would talk to the bar staff! Lovely hotel, good facilities, but poor front of house staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at the Clanree as a family of four in two rooms. We got a great deal online and stayed bed and breakfast. Didn't use the restaurant for dinner because the hotel is so close to Letterkenny and plenty of places to eat. The big plus for the Clanree is the leisure club. We used the swimming pool and were delighted to have the pool to ourselves for an hour. It is well equipped with a large pool, sauna, steam room, whirl pool and a gym. Great staff, very helpful and a nice breakfast to start the day. All in all The Clanree is a great value base for exploring with a few extra comforts.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Clanree Hotel? Share your experiences!