“Pleasant but...........” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Leixlip
belfast
“Pleasant but...........”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

Stayed in The Courtyard in early August, booked in to find that the offer we understood we had booked (1 night B&B 1D) was in fact just B&B. We had looked at the hotel website and seen the offer, then rang the hotel to book. It turned out that the website offers are not the same as the bookings taken on the phone. Initially the mix up seemed settled but on our return from a walk the manager told us that in fact the offer was not to be honoured as the hotel has nothing to do with the website offers. Confused? We were. Anywhere else we stayed on our tour had their prices and offers on their sites and that was that. The mix up took the shine off the stay and we would have stayed in Dublin city for the same cost. The rooms are very pleasant, the breakfast very tasty and varied and served by very pleasant staff. Most of the rooms are by the river and offer nice views apart from the litter on the lawn, the first impression is that the hotel is situated in a car park and so can be dismaying. Parking is very tight. We were woken by slamming doors in the corridor. Quite how the hotel was voted one of the most romantic hotels frankly makes the mind boggle.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — Confusing offer
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

We were very surprised by this little gem. We booked our room the morning of our stay. We were leaving Killarney and needed a place to stay close to Dublin as we were flying out the next afternoon. My husband found the listing in one of the guide books and was intrigued with the Guinness connection. It was a bit hard to find - so ask for directions when you book! We drove around a little bit in town before I got out and asked for help finding it - it's tucked behind the stores on the main street in town. The room was very nice, the grounds beautiful. We ate dinner in the restaurant bar and had a little trouble with the wait staff in that some were not proficient in English and couldn't understand our order. Then they closed the kitchen after we had our appetizers but they did make an exception so we could order somethig else. (It was a Sat night in the bar, and they must stop serving food early, which we thought was odd.)

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

stayed four nights b&b over the leixip festival on arrival was met by a fustrated manager telling me there was no parking in hotel had to park in a public car park at least ten min walk away bags were brought to room for me by a lovely porter room was nice and very clean complimentary fruit basket and wine every day which was lovely housekeeping staff were wonderfull all the staff were great and very friendly they were very busy but made time for all guests the thing the let the hotel down was the food had dinner one night in the award win resturant called the riverbank which was very dissapointing had chicken ceaser to start which was cold and found bones in it the main course was smaller than the starter we had beef and chicken beef was lovely chicken was ok no potatoes dessert was unediable the service was great breakfast was cold every morning complained it was replaced but no apology room were overpriced with no facilities for guests unless you drink 'not child friendly hotel they must have changed head chef since they won award they need to hire new head chef who can cook or they will lose reputation

• Liked — staff and comfort
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kyle, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

I stayed here for 2 weeks on business. My company booked the hotel.
It's a tough call if you must do business in Leixlip; it seems to be the most modern hotel in the area, so it's hard to compare to others (i.e. apples to oranges). The room itself has plenty of space, and is clean. The lobby is comfortable, and the front desk is friendly and helpful. Eric was working most of the time I was there in the evenings, and was a great help. The manager was usually close at hand to also offer assistance.
Wi-fi was limited to the lobby, but they'll supply you with a short LAN line with good connectivity.

The trouble was the restaurant and bar business tended to take priority over the hotel. Due to bar business, I had great difficulty finding a parking space when I returned from work in the evening. One night, I gave up, parked in the city lot, and had to go down to move my car 2 hours later when my time was up. Another night, at about 9PM, one of the bar patrons badly dented my rental car, before tearing out of the parking lot. They have many signs posted with the warning that you (the guest) park in the lot at your own risk.
The scenic river side location would be very pretty if they took care of it. Sadly, it is riddled with beer cans and Smirnoff bottles.
From Wednesday through the weekend, live music is playing till sometimes past 1:00 AM. I was on the second floor, and it was very loud. In addition to the bar, hallway noise carries a great deal; and when the doors close behind you, they shake the entire floor. I wore earplugs, and was still awakened several times most nights by hall and bar noises.
Also, the phone connections to the States were lousy. Sometimes calls would last 10 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds; but I was always prematurely disconnected.
My last minor complaint was the lack of a clock and a fridge. Like many business travelers, I would sometimes work until late, and have grown to rely on stocking up on a few food items to save time and money (esp. in Leixlip where the restaurants are very expensive). At least an ice machine would help; I really felt like a nuisance having to ask for ice from the bar every night. I realize this is a personal preference, so I'm not weighting too much of my review on this point. But I think most people expect to have an alarm clock to get them up in the morning.

That's about it. Sadly, I don't know if there are any better choices in the area. If you are doing business in Leixlip, you may consider checking your hotel options in a nearby town like Maynooth for a less frustrating stay.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — Noise; parking.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

Really impresssed with hotel as it was only 3 star and have stayed in worse 4 star hotels. Great location right in the middle of leixlip. We stayed for 2 nights, the first night we ate in a lovely italian right across the road and the second night we ate in the restaurant in the hotel which was lovely. There a really nice late bar in the hotel with live music and a DJ at weekend. The courtyard itself is really pretty. We were there in the winter but I'd say its really nice to sit out there in the summer. The hotel is located on the outskirts of Dublin about 20min drive into the city centre depending on the traffic.

• Liked — The late bar
  • Disliked — A bit far outside Dublin if you are planning on going out at nite in the city
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

Booked this Hotel as we were attending a Christening party there and decided against a long drive home that evening. Our check-in was handled very efficiently by a lady receptionist who very nice. The room was lovely, very clean and overlooked the river. However we encountered some problems later on in the function room. Irish law prohibits smoking inside the building, and there is a smoking area provided outside but on this December afternoon it was bitterly cold and the four heaters outside were not working. A number of elderly people were forced to endure freezing conditions while having their “cigarette” (I’m an non smoker myself) but emphasised with them. We requested that the heater problem be investigated a number of times and were ignored completely. The staff’s had a “its not my job” attitude. The next morning at breakfast there were more problems, items included on the menu were not available “Kippers” “Crepes” etc. due to a high cholesterol problem I must avoid fatty foods like the full Irish Breakfast (which was micro waved anyway)

We paid €135, which in my opinion is overpriced, for the poor service provided. The Hotel Management should think about reviewing its daily operational problems and also employing staff that provides prompt and better customer service.

• Liked — The Rooms and views of River
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

I returned to the Courtyard having been given an offer that I couldn't refuse. I was, as with my first stay, very happy with this place. The important point is to insist on a room that is on the opposite side of the corridor to the bar with the live music (unless you want to hang out in the bar). The staff are very courteous and welcoming and - since the heating was off during the summertime - there were no cluncking sounds either!

• Liked — The courtyard
  • Disliked — This time it was very good! No complaints!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Courtyard? Share your experiences!