“Unauthorised / Fraudulent Deductions from credit cards” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Galway Oyster Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Galway Oyster Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Rd, Oranmore, Galway, Ireland (Formerly Ramada Encore Galway Oranmore)   |
Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Oranmore
Hertford
“Unauthorised / Fraudulent Deductions from credit cards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

Standards in the hotel and acceptable and rooms clean and tidy . I took my parents to this hotel and my mother paid the charges in full . ( £450 ) ( Neverthless , the hotel have still helped themselves to £150 from my credit card and emails to them from myself are completely ignored . HSBC bank are now going to cancel my credit card and issue a new one in order to claw back the unauthorised charges . I find this particularly annoying as I will now have to advise all organisations to whom I have supplied card details .

On the first night of my stay , despite the fact that the restaurant was virtually empty , the hotel forgot to bring my mother chips with her meal . By the time these arrived she had virtually finished her main course .

When I arrived ( and I supplied the hotel with copies of my booking ) they were unable to locate it . - not sure if this was due to lack of care or a could not care less attitude -

My advise would be to exercise extreme caution if supplying this hotel with your credit card details -

• Stayed March 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Merstham, Surrey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

Our first impression of the Ramada was excellent. It is in a nice modern building with a secure underground car park and a bright, welcoming lobby. We checked in with the General Manager, Jonathon, who was helpful with our request for two twin rooms with an interconnecting door.

Our request was granted and we were given two twins next to each other on the second floor. At first look the room was superb. It was bright and modern with two sizeable windows, LCD TV, two large single beds and a free, working safe. The bathroom was impeccably clean and consisted of a wet room with glass panelled walls.

It did have a couple of quite minor problems however.

Although the laminate flooring in the room gave a modern twist, it was constantly cold and this wasn’t helped by the tiny radiator. The view over a flat roof was rubbish and this wasn’t helped by the dripping gutter that seemed to go into overdrive as soon as we started to go to sleep.

We had two nights of perfect sleep and good buffet breakfasts in the superb Seasons Restaurant. This quickly changed however at 11pm on our 3rd night. A group of about 40 noisy school girls there for a basketball tournament had descended on the hotel at this late hour and we were suddenly surrounded by them. They occupied the rooms opposite and either side of our 2 rooms and were constantly running up and down the corridor and slamming their doors. It sounded as though they were upstairs as well.

Morning came and we turned a blind eye to them and headed out for the day. After all it wasn’t the Ramada. We were completely wrong. We returned to the Ramada mid-afternoon to find that it had been turned into what seemed like a youth hostel by these girls.

We went back out for dinner and returned to screaming, doors being slammed and constant giggling. This awful behaviour continued late into the evening. At 11pm we lost patience and rang reception, speaking the Jonathon who was unhelpful and treated us as though we were an inconvenience. The awful behaviour wound down at 2.30am when the final door slam occurred. At 3.30am after just an hour of sleep a group of about 10 of them gathered outside our rooms giggling and screaming up the corridor at each other. To our horror they had also got out onto the roof outside our room, where they were screaming and smoking (in a no smoking hotel!) We completely lost it at 4.15am telling them through the wall to be quiet and ringing down to reception who were once again unhelpful.

Needless to say we had breakfast in the restaurant (which was also overrun by the group) and after discovering that they were there for another night we checked out one night early, after being given a discount. Considering the money that we had paid, we were not going to have a third night of disturbed sleep, especially as we were leaving early the next for our return flight to the UK. We went to the Quality Hotel Galway just down the road which was fantastic. We just wish that we had spent our whole break there.

• Liked — The room, buffet breakfast & secure parking
  • Disliked — Noise & attitude of the staff
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

Second time staying there...

I Like the hotel, its stylish yet nice.

Couldnt fault staff on either stay, always willing to please!

Rooms always clean and some rooms on the top floor have a kinda balcony which are nice! the bathroom is a wet room which is an interesting design.

Nice comfortable beds, lcd tv etc etc

Nice cheap clean hotel... i stayed here when visiting Galway, its a bit out but alot better than this price range hotels in town!

During the week they stop serving food at 9 so just be sure and arrive before then unlike me if you want to eat! Plenty nice pubs and restaurants around Oranmore though!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Western Ireland, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

We booked the accomodation through the hotels website & paid €5.00 deposit by laser. When I called to check that everything was in order and breakfast was included in the rate, I was told that I didn't book it through their website & that I had booked it through AVVIO?? I clicked on the check rates link on their site & booked therefore I class that as booking through their site!!!
At this stage I was told the rate was room only? I asked if I could add breakfast to the rate, I was told this wasn't possible and I would have to pay seperately! This was not clear when making the reservation so beware of this.
On arriving at the hotel there was a Honda Civic parked at the entrance with a girl chewing the face off the driver and a boy laughing away to himself in the back seat, we had our 2 children with us and this wasn't a welcome we were expecting?! After parking up in what seems like a semi hotel/public car park we went to check in. The reception area doubles as a bar and breakfast area, I stood around for a while before somebody came to the desk.
Konrad the receptionist on duty was helpful, the room wasn't ready although it was after 2pm & he told us to take a walk or have some tea. We took the tea as we had been driving for 2 1/2 hours......which we had to pay for????? A complimentary pot of tea wouldn't of gone a miss, it wasn't our fault the room wasn't ready.
When he pre-auth'd my card he confirmed that the rate WAS bed and breakfast.
The room was nice with a good view, the hotel is a bit of a let down, there is absolutely no atmosphere and there would be no reason at all for you to spean any more time than you had to there. We went in to Oranmore and ate at Keane's bar for 2 days in a row which I must say was an absolute delight!!! The staff and the atmosphere were great, a nice family orientated place.
When we arrived back at the hotel I thought I would check again just to make sure before we came back down the next morning that breakfast was included.......guess what, she told me it wasn't and Konrad had made a mistake, no explanation or anything, that was the end of the conversation!! By this point I was somewhat frustrated!
We were out again the next day, when we returned in the afternoon the General Manager was on the desk, I spoke to him about the rate and queried breakfast again.....it was included he said as they don't do a room only rate!!!!!! No apologies or anything that we had missed out on breakfast that morning, just end of conversation again!!!
The following morning we arrived at the restaurant, we were greeted by a nice lady who toold us we were on a room only rate and breakfast wasn't included!! By this stage I could of cried, I explained to her that the GM had told me it was included and she didn't make a fuss but still the lack of communication was evident and embarassing for me and my family.
Just to set the record straight, I do not intend to stay here again.

• Liked — The View & Balcony
  • Disliked — The lack of atmosphere and communication
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bastia, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We went in this hotel in aug 2007 with my fiancé and were so delighted by this hotel
Rooms are very comfortable and well decorated, and we had a beautiful view from our room (sea and old tower view), breakfast is really good (irish and continental)
++++ hotel

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Very nice hotel ,friendly staff , nice location. The hotel is based in the centre of Oranmore and very popular with tours. Nice food and menu changes every week. You need to have a car the bus stop is 10Min away but not nice if it's raining. rooms are good and many with a view of Galway Bay. Free Wi Fi also. the car park is secure too. We mostly went to galway city and didn't spend much time in Oranmore as service are a little limited compared to Galway City. Bar is a little small but very nice.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — A Bit far from Galway City.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Galway Oyster Hotel? Share your experiences!