“Nice, Basic and clean hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Galway Oyster Hotel

You added Galway Oyster Hotel to your Saves list
Galway Oyster Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castle Rd, Oranmore, Galway, Ireland (Formerly Ramada Encore Galway Oranmore)   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Oranmore
Dublin
“Nice, Basic and clean hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have to say i was very very weary of staying here after some of the previous reviews, but the hotel wasn't as bad as the reviews made out. When you arrive, it is the Ramada Encore the only time i saw the Galway Oyster written was on the letterheads used in the hotel, everything else is the Ramada Encore, even room keys. This would be frustrating if you didn't know this before you go - even hotel confirmed to me on the phone it was signage as the Ramada Encore.

The room itself was bright, clean and modern styled. The room was shower only and was more of a wet area than full shower. I will say though that i found the shower to be a bit of a disaster, as the pressure was very low and it went from cold to tepid to sorching constantly but it was ok for a quick shower.
My main problem with the room was the noise. There are wooden floors which means that it can be quite noisey in the room and from rooms around. The walls are quite thin which means you can hear conversations next door, especially in the bathroom. Slamming of doors on the corridors and balconies then the coaches outside reving their engines at 07.30am of a Sunday didn't leave me feeling refreshed. I was actually quite irriated by it all.

Breakfast was ok - staff were friendly and helpful. There was a selection was did the job but it could have been a bit better. I think the later you leave it the worse the selection and quality, same with any hotel really.

Overall, the hotel is a nice, basic, base for a trip to Galway. There are lovely pubs and restaurants in Oranmore if you don't fancy the trek back to Galway city in the evening.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
County Cavan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We were so surprised at our stay in this hotel. Yes, the hotel is difficult to find and the fact that the signage says Ramada Encore doesn't help! The hotel receptionist was pleasant and the place looked bright and clean. The room was very spacious - we had a family room which comfortably slept four with plenty of room. All the basics were there. I couldn't say it was a fancy room - very basic but it was clean. The bathroom was very modern! I will take clean and basic over fancy and dirty any day! We asked for a quiet room and that is what we got with no hotel noise - a very pleasant sleep was had. We were not expecting a fantastic breakfast but we were soooo surprised. We probably had one of the tastiest breakfasts in any of the hotels we have stayed in (and there are alot!) and we stayed for three days and each morning the breakfast couldn't be faulted! Home cooked, tasty, edible food and plenty of it! The receptionist heard us asking for directions to City Limits Entertainment( don't go there - so bad it doesn't deserve a review ) and gave us a 50 euro voucher for free!!!! We couldn't believe our luck! Although City Limits was atrocious - the generosity of the voucher was unbelievable! All in all, it was a no hassle, delightful stay. We didn't spend much time in the hotel - we used it as a base to travel around Galway but we will definitely use this hotel again. Oh and the price was the best price of all the hotels in Galway and I had researched them all!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here at short notice but were pleasantly surprised. nthe rooms were comfortable and well appointed and the breakfast was delicious. Free wifi was available in the foyer and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. The New Zealand girl on reception was particularly helpful and friendly, easing us into a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed July 2012
ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We booked this hotel on the lidl breaks website where we have booked before and had no complaints whatsoever...not this time!! We arrived after driving around like idiots wasting our time and none of the locals knew what it was...its actually called the Ramada Encore? We arrived in to reception where a wedding was being filmed and apologies to the couple for having our stressed heads in the shot!! I made the misfortune of paying in full at check in as its all the same to me and wasnt expecting any mishaps!! We dropped our bags to the room and it looked ok (apart from the filthy carpet outside the bedroom door) and headed into the city to do some shopping and get something to eat. We arrived back and got ready to go out for a meal and a few drinks in Oranmore and as i was washing my teeth i noticed there was no plug stopper in the sink and it was taking a while for the water to flow away...well nothing could prepare me for what i was going to see, someone from the previous stay had kindly left me their dinner of pasta, carrots and onions which popped out of the plughole to see me!!! I was furious and sent my husband down to sort the problem out at reception and the lady there very kindly with no questions asked moved us to the adjoining room. The next morning I went to have a shower and found the grouting hadn't been finished and you had to hold the shower head to wash yourself and the water changed temperature from varying degrees of ice hold to skin grafting hot!!! Then the plugs wouldnt work, the lights wouldnt work. So himself rang reception to report yet another problem and they were going to move us again!!! We said no once was enough and to just sort the issue. The next morning we were checking out and as it was raining heavily we decided to sit it out until 12pm checkout time before we headed home...to have our door knocked twice by housekeeping to leave and when they finally ploughed into the room at 11.30 i'd had enough and decided to go. When we came to reception the lady asked how we got on since the sink event and i just told her about the other events after that and she seemed quite oblivious to it, so we just left. When i thought about it later i was annoyed that more wasn't done and had i not of paid in full i would have had a problem paying for the two nights!!! I came home and rang the manager and expressed my annoyance at the service and conditions we were met with and his response after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing was 'I checked it out myself and I'll take your word for it', oh and next time we are in Galway to contact them and we can have a free nights B&B!!! Sorry to the staff of the Oyster/Ramada whateva it called, they were only doing their job and if i worked there and had complaints all the time i wouldnt give a damn either!!! Needless to say we will not be taking the manager up on his offer!!! Do not go here unless you want to go home in a bad humour!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Booked as Galway Oyster, signboarded as Encore Hotel, difficult to find; inadequate internet despite its claims, and when access to another room with operating internet was organised the key didn’t work; Water in Shower ran out at 7 am; hair dryer fixed to a piece of furniture OUTSIDE the bathroom – very strange.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed here on a recent break away to Galway. We couldnt get a room in Galway so we opted for this place as it's not too far from Galway itself. We were pleasantly surprised that Oranmore village has such great restaurants and bars also. We stayed in oranmore for our first night . On returning to the hotel the place felt a little desserted though. We asked for a drink at the bar and the night manager obliged. He was very pleasant and very attentive. Only thing was there was no one else in the bar so there was no atmosphere.

Rooms were spotless but could have done with air conditioning.
Breakfast was buffet style and was perfect on both mornings.
Overall we enjoyed our stay here and i have to say the staff were great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at the Galway Oyster Hotel (the Ramada Encore as it's signage seems to suggest) for two nights in June 2012. We booked expecting it to be basic but at £60 per night we thought we'd at least have a clean room and all the reviews we read raved about the breakfast so we figured we'd be well fed in the morning. I'm a native of Galway and always believed Oranmore to be rather upmarket, so was really looking forward to the stay. Oh god, how wrong I was. The place was filthy. The room smelled of smoke and it was very stuffy. The furniture was disgusting and the bathroom dark and grubby. All of the hotel was grubby and looked like it hadn't been painted, cleaned or cared for in a few years. The staff weren't particularly friendly. They omitted to tell us at check-in that the restaurant was closing at 8pm, although the Manager recommended the Coach House Hotel to us which was a nice enough pub/B&B type place. The Bistro next door is fabulous and worth a visit if you ever find yourself in Oranmore. After a restless night in a stuffy and over heated room we went down for breakfast. Oh dear ... not sure how it got such reviews. The tables were all dirty with used cutlery and dishes. I tried in vain for half an hour to get a pot of tea, eventually it came but I then had to go hunting for milk. It was a farce. If you like cornflakes then you'll be fine, but there was little else to eat - tinned fruit cocktail and prunes, rashers, pudding and sausages that looked like they'd been cooked a week earlier. They tasted of nothing. There was some bread although I had to practically escort the waiter into the kitchen to get a soda bread refill - the basket had two stale crusts. Oh and I almost forgot the big chunks of processed cheese they had chopped on a plate. It seemed like a place where people on stag/hen parties stayed for the weekend - it was generally a bit rough. I suspect it's one of the many hotels that have been taken over by the National Asset Management Agency (NAMA) - most of which seem to be left to fall apart.

On Oranmore itself, I've no idea what's happened to what I always thought was a beautiful town/village. Beside Keanes pub one evening we watched a man urinate - it was about 10pm. We popped into a few pubs, McDonaghs in particular to be met with a look of disgust. It seems to have become very chavvy. Although there one high point was the restaurant/bistro next to the Coach House Hotel, Basilico, is amazing and the staff were lovely. I'd definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Just don't go there!