“Great Location with Great Food and Wine” 5 of 5 stars

Oranmore Lodge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oranmore Galway | Galway, Oranmore, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Oranmore
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great Location with Great Food and Wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I’ve just returned home from a great weekend in Galway. Flew directly from Edinburgh into Galway airport and the hotel is only 8 minutes drive from here… couldn’t be easier!

Old World Manor House Hotel with very traditional décor which is a pleasure to see rather than the new modern hotels which have no character at all! It has a really good restaurant and really attentive staff in all areas which just made our stay!

Rooms were very comfortable, very big and very well presented and leisure centre was excellent too. The hotel food was a step up from other hotels I have stayed in recently with a choice of full dinner menu or a la carte… it offers a really good cooked breakfast also!

Only a 7 minute stroll to the lovely village of Oranmore which has a great little thatched pub full of locals and a ten minute drive to Galway City centre.

Liked the hotel so much I bought my mum and dad a voucher for a weekend away in it… its exactly what they would love… especially the great Irish music in the bar… I think the guy singing was called Dave…

Will definitely be returning...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
BrianOhiggins, Front Office Manager at Oranmore Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Dear Lenny044

Thank you for your lovely review - I hope you got home safe to Scotland. We are delighted you enjoyed the hotel for its traditional family values.

We hope we get the pleasure of having you stay with us again and of course Dave Dooley - our musician in the bar will also be delighted to see you back and will have all your favourites ready for you!

When your parents are coming over please do not hesitate to give me a call personally and I will ensure they receive an upgrade to our executive rooms.

Again - thank you for your lovely review - we really appreciate it.

Regards

Sales Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Mullingar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

we were invited to a wedding here in the oranmore lodge. We never stayed here before but decided to make a weekend out of it so we booked in for 2 nights bed and breakfast. We really enjoyed our stay.. the room was of a very good size.. 2 double beds and very comfy and clean I must say!
We had breakfast each morning which was of very good standard - nice buffet table with plenty of options to help your self to and then the cooked breakfast - again very good... I'm very fond of a cooked breakfast when I go away...

We used the leisure centre each day - the had a lovely pool which was nice and quiet - approx 17 or 18 metres i'd imagine... again this was lovely and clean and what you would expect in a health and fitness centre.

We booked a massage with Aria for the sunday which was superb... only €45 and so worth it!

We didn't dine in the restaurant as we were at the wedding on the saturday but the food for the wedding was absolutely gorgeous... and the layout of the room was beautiful...

We will definitely return for a weekend before christmas as we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff are great - very friendly and nothing is too much hassle to them. So a big thumbs up for them!

Dear Classycasey,

I would like to thank you for your kind review - its great to receive such positive feedback.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I hope we get the chance to welcome you and perhaps your extended family back to Oranmore.

Kind Regards,

Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I have just returned from a lovely weekend in Galway…. Is Galway always this busy??? It seems to be the place to go !

We stayed in the Oranmore Lodge Hotel which is about ten minutes drive from the city centre. We parked our car for the weekend and availed of the local bus service in and out of the city… only €3… very good value! We found this little gem of a hotel on the internet and booked in for a deal of 2 nights B&B and 1 dinner – it was great value! We checked in on Friday and was met by a lovely receptionist – Nicole … she welcomed us and showed us where our room was and offered us an upgrade to a suite for only €20… so of course we availed of it!! When we were showed to our room she explained to us what we could do in the area etc and informed us of the bus route for the city centre which we were unaware of… but found her a great help.

The room was fabulous… leather sofa, huge TV and aircon.. .which we didn’t use of course!!! We even got bath robes – what a treat when your away!

We dined in the hotel on Friday night and had a wonderful meal in the restaurant.. the restaurant is small and intimate but really lovely… its so in keeping with an old hotel.. beautiful big fireplace in it. Our food was delicious – I had the pork belly which is the best I’ve had yet and my partner availed of a steak which was cooked beautifully - however we got so much food we were hardly able to move after it….

Breakfast next morning was busy – but again very good and plenty of choice. The girls serving us for dinner were working the next morning and I have to say they are great.. they nearly know everybody by name and they really make you feel at home!

We checked out on Sunday - the hotel was crazy busy Sunday morning and we ended up chatting with the wedding guests from the night before and they were full of praise for the hotel also.. apparently it had been a very late night .. but luckily we never heard a sound!

So in my opinion – this is a great hotel – well worth a visit to and I will definitely return again. I hope this review helps some of you travelers out there .

Thanks again to all the staff… you all made our weekend!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
BrianOhiggins, Front Office Manager at Oranmore Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2010
Dear Stacey,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Not many people make this effort but I can assure you it is really appreciated.

Its great to hear feedback and I will ensure the staff get to read your review so they are aware of the great professional job they do!

Once again.. Thank you for your comments.

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Comfortable but dated. Small but adequate pool and fitness club. OK for a stay in Galway area if price is right but better modern alternatives.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Donegal Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband and I booked a last minute break to Galway to this hotel. We just booked a bed and breakfast rate as we knew we would be eating in the city centre. I could not believe the room it was so tiny and the stale smell once you entered the room was just awful, The bed was also tiny and pushed up against a wall!!!! I looked into the bathroom and the taps were just filthy. I went down to the desk and asked to be moved but was told that we could pay €50 extra to be moved. I did not take this up as it was a last minute break and did not want to pay extra. We decided just to spend as much time as possible in thecity. We asked for a Iron and that was just filthy and we had to clean it ourselves before we used it. The towels that are provided are grey not white and just so small you could not call them bath towels. I found out to my horror later that the girl I spoke to at the desk was actually the Reservation Manager and she selects the rooms you are allocated. The room that was given to us was usually used as a single room. We thought that we would have used the swimming pool while we were there but again we were dissapointed as it was so small and could do with a good clean, Over all the hotel needs to be renovated. I would never advise anyone to stay in this old hotel that is stuck in a time warp.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
BrianOhiggins, Owner at Oranmore Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear alias Donegal Traveller,

I refer to your comments in relation to your stay at this hotel. You booked a last minute weekend deal at a rate of €37.50 B/B per person sharing, per night. You were allocated a standard bedroom measuring 18 sq. meters that was built 12 years ago ! The reservations manager offered to upgrade you to a superior room measuring 24 sq. meters for an extra €12.50 per person per night. You were adamant that you were not going to pay this rate and demanded a free upgrade. When this was not forthcoming, you have now set about to criticse the hotel in a defamatory manner. We are amazed as to how you could comment on the swimming pool when you state that you did not use the leisure centre ??
For your information the swimming pool is 17m and is maintained to the highest hygienic standards.

Brian J. O'Higgins,
Managing Director
Lucan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

well this is my 2nd time to stay in this hotel... myself and 3 friends decided to holiday at home this year and do the galway races..... we didnt stay in the city as it was a bit too pricey!! however we stayed in Oranmore... what a lively place to stay. we checked in on the wednesday and stayed until saturday before moving on to our next hotel... which I will also review! We had a lovely room.. plenty of space for us .. 1 double and 2 single beds... we had dinner on one night which was included in our package..... food was amazing.. again.. but way too much of it. If you are looking for a family run hotel.... this has to be the best.. you can tell simply by the friendlieness of all the staff... even the breakfast staff... Im Celiac myself but brought my own bread as I didnt want to be a nuisance... once they noted this they had everything ready for me each morning and made sure they had special bread bought in for me.. by the time we checked out we knew every member of staff and we are already organising our next girlie trip away for October... So thanks again to all the staff and the owners... they all know how to do their job! Well done!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for your great review of our hotel.

We are delighted you enjoyed both the hotel and the Galway Races and its great to see repeat guests coming back to us....

I hope everything was even better than the last time you stayed and we look forward having the opportunity of welcoming you back to us again.

La Canada Flintridge, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

The reviews I read of the Oranmore Lodge Hotel were very good so I was quite disappointed when we got there. The location is right next to the highway so not very "Lodge" like. The hallways smelled intensely like baby powder and the rooms were very dated looking. The breakfast was just edible.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Oranmore Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!