“Lovely location great food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Water's Edge

Water's Edge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rathmullan
Water's Edge
You added Water's Edge to your Saves list
The Ballyboe, Rathmullan, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rathmullan
“Lovely location great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

On holiday with my family had dinner twice in the hotel have to say staff where great considering there was 12 of us 8 adults and 4 kids all our meals where of a very high standard nothing was a problem I would have no problem recommending the hotel for a meal it is a great asset to the area thanks .

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The views here are very nice. Unfortunately, our room was on the ground floor, so not as nice as from most of the rooms. The room was pretty basic, but perfectly clean. We had a lovely walk on the beach nearby - just by the ferry port. A great beach for kids - lots of rocks for climbing as well as safe for bathing.
We had a very nice dinner at the Water's Edge restaurant. Large portions and nice views while eating. The night we were there it was like a creche at in the main restaurant - we asked for a table in the quieter end and we were quickly accommodated. The staff are young and probably not hotel-management-school-trained, but they were very nice. The bar staff were the same style...probably the same people! They were poor responding to emails throughout the process or booking and confirmation. I think this hotel and restaurant were a little over priced for what you got, but it was a nice place and I'd be happy to go back if I got a deal on it next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a better view. All rooms have a water view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here 23/08/13 one night dinner b+b. Great room views, friendly professional staff and really clean rooms.
Was most impressed by the food - compliments to the chef - this is a high standard of restaurant cuisine and good value.
Well done Waters Edge - keep up the high standards
PS Try the Seabass

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were 3 adults 2 kids, and altogether 5 very satisfied people. Duck Spring Rolls cocked to perfection, succulent fillet steak and baby boiled and veg. Dessert chocolate sponge cake. Everything was excellent. Highly recommend this place. A sharp 15 walk from Rathmullan, staff very friendly and mannerly with a good sense of humor.

Midland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

New hotel, good rooms, attached restaurant, friendly staff.

But the wi-fi covers about 2 rooms and 1 corner of the restaurant. As I'm writing this, I'm sitting in a stairwell. With a good wi-fi coverage, my rating would be 5, not 3.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful location which can be fully appreciated in this lovely small busy hotel. I thoroughly enjoyed two nights, dinner, bed and breakfast here with my two very young sons. Given that I had my hands full, I was a little nervous but I was helped at every turn by the most pleasant staff. The dinner was yummy but Breakfast was a little disappointing. We toured the fanad peninsula the first day and got the car ferry return the second day to tour inishowen. I would highly recommend the whole trip but defo this fantastic gem of a hotel!

Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a modern , well designed complex overlooking the water. Our room the Earl's Suite was a spacious , elegant room with an equally spacious and well designed bathroom with separate shower. We paid €110 for the night.
The overall effect was spoiled by a very grubby and stained carpet. Whilst the carpet in the corridors was a sensible and attractive dark rust red color the one in the bedroom was creamy and had been badly mistreated.
We had a wonderful rest in a supremely comfortable bed with really good linen. Very small towels were disappointing and inadequate.
The sound of the water lapping only feet from our windows and the dawn chorus were a delight.
Our experience in the restaurant was a great disappointment however. The impression one was left with was that there was no-one really in charge. The menu was well written and interesting and our wine, a French sauvignon blanc was excellent. The food itself was poorly cooked in parts and lacked any finesse.
The fish chowder tasted pretty good but it was the first time I have ever had crab-sticks in a fish soup. Given that they are not crab but processed white fish with red colouring added, a strange choice. Our fillets of fish were fresh tasting but hadn't been cooked with enough skill to reflect the quality of the ingredients. The skin was not crisp enough to be enjoyed and had to be discarded. The biggest disappointment was the vegetables which were badly cooked and poorly presented.
We ordered 2 portions of dauphinoise potatoes as side dishes at extra cost but our waitress didn't point out that there was a full vegetable dish of boiled new potatoes carrots and another served with the fish, this was not on the menu.
As for the dauphinoise, I accept that some people insist on adding cheese to this classic dish , I can't say I like it but the amount of cheese in this concoction was really quite unpleasant.
When I asked the waitress about the wine she said she couldn't help me as she didnt like wine... When I suggested that another waiter might advise she replied,' he isn't a wine drinker either.'
The cost of the meal with 10% tip with no dessert or coffee was €100. This was our last night of a wonderful trip to Donegal but this meal was a very big disappointment. At this price the food should have been a great deal better.
The service at breakfast was extremely inattentive and again no-one seemed in charge or taking any supervisory role to ensure the device received by the clients was of a standard.
What can't be denied is the fact that the setting and view from the rooms and restaurant is one of the nicest I have found anywhere, and the design and appearance of the building is really fantastic. A real shame therefore that the overall experience should be marred by sloppy attention to detail regarding the food and service.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Water's Edge? Share your experiences!