“Nice hotel but don't take ill.....” 4 of 5 stars

You added Esplanade Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strand Road, Bray, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Perth, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but don't take ill.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Arrived here 15th March. Now I will begin by saying that throughout the entire weekend the weather was dire. Windy, freezing cold and pouring rain. Perhaps this detracted from my weekend enjoyment. Travelled with a coach company as it was to give us a taster of Dublin and the area. I had requested a 'shower only' room if possible as I have a cartilege problem which can be a painful nuisance when vaulting the sides of a bath! I got more than that - a disabled room with gated shower! What's more, it was on the first floor close to the lift. (301 if you want to order it for a stay!)

Firstly the staff are such nice people. (except one rather abrupt young man at the bar who could do with a little customer service training) They could not do enough if there was a problem, which there wasn't really, just room key failed twice and it was promptly fixed. Didn't get the name of the woman on the desk but she was so friendly and we always had such laughs. Then she told me she was leaving on the Sunday and truly that will be a loss to the hotel. Other staff were equally as nice but didn't get to know them as closely.

The room. absolutely fine, considering it was for a disabled person. Window was a bit dodgy and barely closed and the outlook was on to roofs but as it was pouring all the time anyway it wasn't a problem as we kept the curtains closed. Tv had definitely seen better days...worked mostly but the picture was awful. Management - please take note - I can refer to this room only, but there was no decent drawer space. A couple of small ones, and three thin ones under the desk which were only fit for papers really. Otherwise all the clothes were stuck on shelving under the tv which was not ideal. Tea and coffee was appreciated. Where were the biccies? Overall cleanliness was good. Oh yes, the hairdryer failed. I think it must overheat, so first morning I was left with wet hair and a non functioning dryer. Called down - replacement in less than 5 minutes - a brand new one still in wrapper. It was better as I was no longer restricted to using it in the bathroom.

First night when we arrived the place was buzzing as there was a wedding function on. Having travelled from Scotland by coach we were tired so after the meal we went to bed fairly early. Yes - the music from the function was like as if it was next door but you have to live and let live. The choice of music was good so I ultimately fell asleep to sounds of the 80s!!

Food. Can't fault it - absolutely lovely food, plenty of it and a great choice. My husband loved it with no complaints at all. Breakfast too has much to offer - hot and cold, fruit and cereal. One annoyance - the ancient toaster takes only four slices. There were about 14 of us all queueing for our toast and most of us gave up in disgust. The dining room at breakfast is always busy and despite staggered sittings, it didn't help the toast situation. I was told that the real toaster was broken and waiting to be fixed. Yes, breakfasts were a bit chaotic and if I'd stayed any longer I might just have cracked the order in which to do things, for the whole procedure to go like clockwork!

Bar. Plenty of tables front of house with loads around the corner. We were told there would be entertainment at night. Wrongly I presumed, since it was St Patrick's weekend, it would be Irish singing and maybe a wee Irish band? Not so. Having had an exhausting day in Dublin on the Saturday, we didn't stay long that night and discovered next day that there had been 'two girls singing'. Nothing on St Patricks Day as far as I am aware. Then on our last night, there was a male singer, with backing track and a guitar. Yes, he was good but not what we were looking for really being the day after St Patricks Day.. I was feeling a bit unwell so we didn't stay too long for that.

This is where the title of my review comes in. I don't suppose I will ever know what made me unwell - the veggie quIche I had at lunchtime at a weaving mill, or my first half pint taste of Guinness, but I felt poorly in the evening to start with. (Didn't have much in the way of dinner either) In the early hours it manifested itself in a very vigorous way, eventually followed by incessant vomiting. I called the desk around 7am to request a doctor, as our coach was leaving at 9.30am to return to Scotland - and we HAD to be on it. There was no one locally apparently who attends to these 'emergencies' and I had to wait for a GP from outside of Dublin . He arrived at approx. 9.15am. I was dealt with efficiently by desk staff who kept me informed as to what, when and where. But I could not understand, when the book says there are four doctors and one clinic in Bray, that one of these couldn't attend. Also beware - the EEC health card (EHIC ??) is not applicable in Southern Ireland so we had to pay 110 Euros. Hopefully we might get some of it back on Insurance. All staff encountered were very caring and considerate to my situation.....I just needed to get out and on that coach! Fortunately the others in the party were also understanding that I'd kept them waiting for a while.

I am still a tad unwell, having just returned home tonight but thought I'd like to get this down while it was all still fresh in my mind. One final question to the management - why no crisps or nuts at the bar??? The staff couldn't answer that question, believe it or not!

And one funny story to end with. My husband went into the shower - in haste as he was warned I would likely have to chase him out. Poor soul, in his haste he knocked the only remaining toilet roll into the toilet bowl!! I ask you - what a time to be without a toilet roll! However, quick call to downstairs and two were there like magic. So, I am giving 4 stars, just a shame I couldn't give 4.5 as the deduction is only for little things really.

Window....toaster....tv...no crisps....entertainment....but overall I feel the staff are doing a great job with the number of guests we saw them cope with. A credit to the owners.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello thank you for your review and apart from taking ill I am pleased you mostly enjoyed an excellent stay. I will pass on your comments to the management and ask them to take action where necessary so we can improve our service to future guests. Our apologies with regard to the delay in seeing a doctor unfortunately out of hours services can have long waiting times. We certainly hope you get better soon and again our thanks for adding your review.

Bray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
Enniscorthy, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night in March 2013.

The hotel is located in a great tourist spot along Bray seafront. Check in was quick and easy. Directions to the rooms are very poor from reception. I think there is a lift in the property but to get to our room we were sent through the bar area and up a stairs. It was all a little confusing and embarrassing pulling a suitcase through a crowded bar.

The corridor to our room needed a good vacuum as there was visible dirt on the carpet, which as far as I can remember was still there the next day when we checked out.

I had asked for a seaview and I did get this. Our room was small and dated. It was clean however, so I really didn’t mind the size. There was a large sash window in our room which opened up onto a balcony. This would be lovely in the summer but the night we were there it was a horrible day so the balcony was of no use to us. Not a fault of the hotel obviously. When you closed the sash window however it did not seal properly and a cold wind blew into our room for our whole stay. Again we got over this fact as we were only there for one night and not in our room for very long. There were tea and coffee making facilities but we didn’t use them at all and the t.v was small portable tv stuck on top of a 9 feet high wardrobe so you couldn’t see it and the remote didn’t work.

The bed was in fact mega comfy and we would have had a great night’s sleep if there hadn’t been a party going on the room across the hallway from us. When we returned to our room after a lovely night out in Bray we were kept awake by all the noise. A porter eventually came and asked the people to stop the party and we thought that was the end of it, but alas no it kept going and at 5.30am after a couple of hours sleep we were woken with a fright with someone screaming and shouting. Again the porter came up to the room and this time threw out the culprits. The walls and doors are paper thin so we heard every word and noise so we were definitely not well rested after our stay.

On check out I raised the point of the party next door to our room and my e-mail address was taken and I was told I would be contacted during the following week with some sort of compensation. But to date I have not heard a thing from the hotel.

All in the entire whole hotel just needs a bit of updating. I don’t know if I would stay here again as there are so many other places in Bray to stay. I suppose I prefer a more modern hotel myself but I have stayed at many older properties and they just outdid this one in many areas.

TIP: The Martello Hotel just up the road is great for bar food etc and have a nice lively atmosphere about it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hello,

I am very sorry you did not fully enjoy your recent stay, I will advise Barry Flavin the General Manager that you are still awaiting your follow up as promised on departure and I apologies for the delay in your receiving this. You should here from him very shortly.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with my partner. This hotel fitted all my needs and most definitely helped us out with anything we needed throughout our stay.

I was hesitant about staying here because of some of the reviews here but I decided to go with it because of the great value. One thing for sure, this hotel doesn't deserve the bad reviews it has received. It should definitely be up by another 2 stars on this site.

Decor was beautiful and staff were more than helpful, management were great, service was prompt. I have to mention the absolute glorious views, even when it was raining! I will definitely return to this hotel in the near future and continue to recommend it to all my family & friends.

Thumbs up Esplanade!! :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, thank you for your review very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I needed a hotel in Bray for a function last weekend at very short notice. While the hotel was very busy, they were still able to accommodate me. The management and staff were all very welcoming and helpful, and really tended to all of our needs over the weekend. The hotel itself is lovely and has really beautiful views of the ocean. Many of the people at our function commented on how nice it all was and would definitely stay here again. I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough. If you're in Bray, then stay in the Esplanade Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review delighted it all went well for you. We would certainly love to welcome you back again the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed in the Esplanade Hotel on the night of 5th March and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room and bed were very comfortable indeed, the food was excellent, the staff were welcoming and attentive (especially the lady who served breakfast and who rescued all my worldly goods — credit cards, wallet etc. — when I left them behind in the dining room) and the wi-fi coverage was the best I have encountered in any hotel I have stayed in, and it is free.
I highly recommend this great hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review on your recent stay I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your great comments to all our staff who will be delighted with the feedback. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards

dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Myself and 3 family members booked in for a girls night away on Sat 23rd of feb 2013 and from entering reception was met by a very warm welcome ,until check out the next day, Our room which had a side facing room to the sea front (as sea view rooms are closed in cold winter months) was faultless, comfortable beds large bathroom tea/coffee and very clean. we had afternoon snack in the bar area and that was when we were introduced to the fantastic host/barmaid /waitress/ all rounder JULIEANNE. This lady could not have made us feel more welcome, and catered to our every need from the bar to keeping the cosy fire well stocked and our excellent meal in the resturant that evening. we must say that you have an absolute diamond there working for you and although all the staff were amazing Julieanne really stood out and her attention to detail was 5 star..... let me just finish by saying this hotel and staff come highly recommended and we will return as good memories were made and fun was had by all including other guests we met and joined our company that night. looking forward to our next stay in an home from home hotel that gives you the best Irish welcome anyone could ask for. Jean, Trass Sinead and Pam xx

Room Tip: No sea view in winter months wich is understantable.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HelenStrandwood, Public Relations Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hello

Thanks for your great review I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the best of our friendly staff, good food and great location. I will pass on your lovely comments regarding Julieanne and we certainly look forward to seeing you again soon.

Witney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We got a very good deal for a 7-night stay in this lovely hotel by the sea. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast food was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed both at the weekend and during the week. Our room was nice and warm, with adjustable radiators. The room service (cleaners) was the only thing that let the standards down. While the room was cleaned each day, and visably so, the bathroom cleaning lacked somewhat each day; and the bed wa remade each day but the sheets were not changed unless subtle hints were left such as leaving all bed linen in a pile by the door. Overall very happy and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We requested a room in a more secluded spot, away from main thoroughfares, and this was honoured by...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Esplanade Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We have implemented a number of new systems recently to address shortfalls in housekeeping which should address the concerns you raised. Its good to know you enjoyed the dining and our friendly staff. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Bray

Been to Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!