“Worrying” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club

You added The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club to your Saves list
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Bray, Ireland (Formerly The Royal Hotel Bray)   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Diss, United Kingdom
“Worrying”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff are lovely but that was its only real saving grace. The first room we stayed in, 204, was cold, dirty and had not been serviced properly, it had a 'what to do in Dec' sheet in the Information folder! It was also very, very noisy and I was kept awake until 4.00 am. The next day we were moved and the room was better, it had toiletries, glasses and what you would expect although very basic refreshments, only tea and coffee, no decaf or biscuits. We were part of a larger family party so ate in the hotel the first night. The sea bass was average so would not recommend. my husband had a burger which he enjoyed although another person did not. My biggest concern was breakfast. As I am allergic to eggs I have to be very careful. The 'chef' used the same utensils to dish everything up, meat, eggs, tomatoes. I said something on the first day and again on the second day. Cross contamination is hugely dangerous and I spoke to the manager who was going to have a word. Others might like to check this as if I lived in Ireland I would go back to see it had been done. My husband, who eats everything said it was only just okay. Orange squash was only available to us on the Sunday but juice was there on Monday, generally value brand beans, and underripe tomatoes, pretty rank with only cocktail sausages on the Monday. The leisure centre was okay and enjoyed my swim.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel the second week in February for a weekend! Had an amazing stay! The front foyer was beautiful with a great bar attached! After returning to the hotel after a night out at around 3:30am I was greeted by the night manager who's name was ash, he was very friendly and told me if I if I wanted drinks or food he would look after me! Also the kettle was broken in the room and wen I rang reception ash brought me a replacement straight away! The rooms were nice and the food was great! Overall a great hotel made even more enjoyable by the service, especially ash! Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!

Thanks
Paul and Laura

Leixlip, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here as we were attending an event in the hotel. The rooms were very basic and badly need updating. We were supposedly in a newly refurbished room as it had a shower and bath whereas the older rooms only have showers. I can only imagine what the older rooms look like.
I had lunch in the bar. i ordered a simple toasted sandwich and chips which came out only slightly warm. The chips arrived about 5 minutes after the sandwich.
We both had breakfast the following morning which again wasn't great. The bacon was really rubbery as were the eggs. They must have been pre cooked that morning and kept warm until people came to breakfast. The food was only luke warm and not fresh as you would expect.
Wifi is charged to your room and you also have to pay for parking at the hotel.
While the pool looked ok the smell of chlorine was really off putting so we didn't bother using the pool.
I honestly wouldn't return unless the charity event was in the hotel again next year.
The only real redeeming factor is the staff who are friendly and helpful

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Had a 2 night family break at the hotel with our small children. The hotel has excellent staff who helped make our stay enjoyable . The family room which we had was large but there was a damp smell. Overall good value for money but rooms need some care and Attention. Staff are the hotels greatest asset

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I had chosen a 2night stay at The Royal Hotel for the valentines break. We opted for the 2night stay including breakfast and an evening meal package for as little as 169euro. First of all we were both greeted by welcoming staff which had given us all information possible regarding the hotel. We had absolutely no complaints with our room as it was clean, well heated and spacious when we had entered. We were greeted by amazing staff which we found couldn't do enough for you. The staff made sure we were well looked after constantly throughout the entire stay not only at dinner. Two staff members in particular both Richard (bar tender) and Sophie (waitress) were a credit to have serving us as they honestly couldn't do enough as I mentioned above. The hotel supplied all gents with roses for the ladies at dinner for this occasion which we thought was a generous gesture. The service overall was at a professional standard. Certain rooms may need to be updated but are hygienic and safe, therefore its not something to complain about. All in all our stay was comfortable, safe, reasonably priced and enjoyable. We both would well recommend this hotel :-)

Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I booked two rooms on a Friday night.

Car parking is at the rear but there is an additional 5Euro charge to a separate company. You need to tell them if you're only popping out as they will re-sell your space otherwise.

The whole place is dirty and shabby. The rooms are freezing cold and the bedlinen was stained and crumpled. There were large water stains on the ceiling. I could hear every single word said by the guests in the next room - including their complaint to reception about how cold their room was. I could also hear their coughs, sneezes, conversation plus the dialogue of the film they were watching and they weren't being noisy, the walls are just paper thin. The noise from the downstairs function could be heard late into the early hours, as could the lifts. The bed had broken springs and sagged terribly.

Reception and the lifts stink of smoke and there was ash on the telephone in my room.

The breakfast was inedible. Cheap, watery fruit juice, horrible white bread toast and I gave the hot food a complete miss as it looked disgusting.

Apparently a lot of Ulsterbus coach trips stop here so I imagine it gets very busy at times. I didn't try the pool as I'd planned, based on my feelings about the rest of the hotel. There was a large number of delegates (mostly children) at a martial arts competition so it was quite loud and noisy.

I really found the whole experience unpleasant so despite the receptionist being friendly and the manager applying a discount, I definitely would not ever wish to revisit.

Lastly, I suggest you check your bill carefully. I'd booked in advance using my credit card and when my dad checked out they billed him - luckily he mentioned it to me and I got them to refund it.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel that is run very well. We arrived as a hen party and were treated unbelievably well all weekend. The food for dinner was excellent, the bar was comfortable and warm, the beauticians were excellent at their jobs. In fact all staff were superb. Yes along corridors and big lobby its drafty but that's more to do with old building. Bedroom, restaurant and bar are all very warm. This is a great value hotel and I would have no problem recommending it or staying there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in newer rooms which were perfect
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club? Share your experiences!