“Wonderful Memory” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Cahir B&B and Inns
Henderson, TX
“Wonderful Memory”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our trip to Ireland would not have been the same without our stay at Carrigeen Castle. I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews left by some travelers that suggested Peig was not exactly a gracious host. This could not be further from the truth. She is very direct...quite funny and enjoyable. The rooms were spacious and the bathrooms were clean. The breakfast was fabulous. Anyone will love the experience if you check your American ego at the door and realize you are staying in someone's home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting my daughter. The building is unique - full of history and personal insights into Mrs Butler and her family and the surrounding area. The room was comfortable and clean, and everything was explained to us when we arrived. Mrs Butler is extremely friendly and talkative, and very knowledgeable about the area. Timings for breakfast are fairly fixed, however, breakfast itself was very nice. If you like your host to be friendly, interested in you, happy to help and advise and make your stay that little bit special, then Mrs Butler and her fascinating B&B are the place to head for - we will certainly be staying again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed staying at Carrigeen Castle. An old Castle turned prison turned B & B and family home – it was a quite interesting and fun place to stay. An easy walk took you into town for dinner and a tour of Cahir Castle. Peig (pronounced Peg) was a delight and a hoot. Some might be taken aback by her straightforward manner. We were not and had a wonderful time talking with her. She provided lots of recommendations for places to go and things to do while in the area. The rooms were spotlessly clean and breakfast was delicious. Loved staying there but loved Peig most of all.

Room Tip: No Wi-Fi available at the hotel. We used our i-pads at the resturants in town.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We travelled to Carrigeen, it was our first stop in Ireland on a 5 day fishing trip, I went with three friends. We had booked for three nights. The Castle sounded great, but on arrival we were left in no doubt within 10 minutes we had made the wrong choice, Peig Butler was a tyrant,rude and the worst Landlady with bad attitude I have ever met! She mocked us saying there would be other guests and we had to keep quiet. She didn't approve of drinking and if we went into town, we would be beaten up she said. We went into town, the locals couldn't have been friendlier, but the ALL had a view on Mrs Butler and it wasn't a good one! Next day at breakfast she told us all off for going drinking the night before. We said as adults we have been to Ireland many times, I am IRISH and the Craic was what we came for. Breakfast was miserable, so were the rooms, she told us NOT to speak the Staff as they were Foreign. We decided to leave that morning and she said GOOD!!! What a Let Down!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
pasadena, newfoundland and labrador, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

From the moment we drove up to this castle/B&B we new we were in for something special. And the hostess Peig Butler did not disapoint. She was most friendly, sharing with us the famous Irish charm, wit and conversation. The rooms were fitting for a castle, probably a lot more comfortable then they would have been hundreds of years ago. The breakfast was a typical Irish breakfast but seemingly more special considering the surroundings. Only a short walk brought us to the histoical centre of Cahir which also has a special charm.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Santa Monica, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

While this B&B was really cool to look at from the outside, it was nothing special on the inside. Our room was moderately comfortable, but it felt like we could have been staying at a clean Super 8 Motel and not an old castle/prison. The breakfast was delicious like every other B&B we stayed (those Irish know how to cook some breakfast!).

The problem was with Peig. She was a bully. When we checked in, she told us that breakfast was at 8:30 (I think), gave us some restaurant recommendations and we went on our way. At 8 am, she pounded on our door to wake us up. I felt like I was at my grandma's house (only my grandma does that for free). When she asked where we ate, we said that we had actually just ended up eating bar food because we met a great group of locals at one of the pubs. Peig did not seem pleased and mumbled something about us spending all night in the pubs. We got the overall feeling that she just didn't like us.

The part that really soured us is when we went to pay the bill. Since this was the first trip we'd ever taken using B&Bs, I made a mistake when I reserved. I was completely confused with what she was talking about, but she said she wouldn't accept the voucher we had and we needed to pay with a credit card. I was taken aback, but gave her my card and paid. It was my mistake and I was completely willing to immediately rectify it. You'd have thought that was the end, but no. Peig proceeded to berate me for about 5 minutes asking me question after question about why on earth I would have [insert whatever issue she was talking about]. Even after I paid, she said a couple of times that even allowing me to pay by credit card was a favor because she doesn't take credit cards. We had cash with us, so we could have paid cash, but she never gave us an option. She was downright mean.

Since this was the first B&B we had ever stayed in, I was pretty much done with them generally, but every other B&B we stayed in was very nice and none of the owners treated us the way Peig did. We realize the issue is her and not B&Bs.

Because of this, we could never recommend this place with a good conscience. Since it's very picturesque on the outside, I'd recommend taking your picture outside the gate and then driving on down the road. Seriously. It's not worth it. If it's cold and rainy and you need a place to stay because every other B&B/hotel/motel within a 10 mile radius is booked, this place will do as a roof over your head. Just keep your head down and mind your p's and q's. Peig's watching your every move. She'll tell you if she doesn't like what she sees. And she won't mince words.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

After a missed flight, lost luggage, and some serious jet lag, all we really wanted was a place to get some sleep. We found so much more than that! We landed in Shannon, made it as far as Cahir and stopped in at the tourist office to get some help in finding a b&b that might let us check in early. A call was made to Peig who, without hesitation, agreed to let us check in at 1:00 p.m. She quickly showed us to our room, gave some helpful advice on working through the tiredness, and left us to sleep. Upon awakening and showering we headed downstairs for a cup of tea and some suggestions for dinner. Upon finding out that we were without luggage, Peig immediately allowed my traveling companion access to her personal computer to contact Aer Lingus. She greeted us as we arrived home from dinner and we discussed a time for breakfast as well as meal preferences. She was more than willing to accomodate my vegetarian diet and did so graciously. We slept soundly - the house was extremely quiet, the inside temperature just right, and the beds quite comfortable. Yes, she did show us where to sit at breakfast the next morning but I have found that to be true of the other B&Bs we have stayed in as well. Breakfast was delicious and served hot and fresh. As we checked out, Peig seemed very worried that there was no word on our lost luggage. She offered some suggestions as to how we should deal with the situation in order that it get resolved quickly. As we left, we remarked to one another how fortunate we were to have found Peig on our first night in Ireland. I can't imagine having stayed anywhere else and getting the same attention and assistance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Carrigeen Castle? Share your experiences!