“Poor food and awful customer service.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kearney's Castle Hotel

Kearney's Castle Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cashel
Kearney's Castle Hotel
Main Street, Cashel, Ireland   |
Ranked #18 of 22 Cashel B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Poor food and awful customer service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Avoid this place at all costs for food! Last Sunday my wife and I were en-route to Cork when we stopped off in Cashel for some lunch. The entire experience was truly awful. The bar was not busy (approximately 6 customers) and three waiting staff were on duty. After thirty five minutes our food finally arrived. I had ordered the whiskey steak with onion rings and home-cooked chips and my wife had ordered the Bangers and Mash. The amount of mash that was on my wife's plate actually fitted entirely on her fork. When we asked for some more potato, we were then informed by our server that to cook some fresh potato for her would take thirty minutes? Does boiling a potato or two take that long? Having told our server not to bother cooking some fresh potato mash for us she said that my chips and onion rings were on the way out. They arrived on the table as I finished my steak, dripping in oil and over-cooked. They arrived out fifteen minutes after our food initially arrived. I was so angry with the service I just paid and left. I had no doubt that if I complained it would fall on deaf ears. Both of us work in the service industry and were too shocked at what they deemed was decent service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

My family and I stayed in Cashel for 2 nights. It's a wonderful town and well worth a visit. On our first night we went to Kearney's castle for a meal. It has everything going for it, it's a castle in the centre of busy tourist town and despite the best efforts of the chef in producing a excellent meal the whole experience was ruined by the owner. Never before have I met such a rude and ignorant man. From the moment we entered we were made to feel as if we were just stupid tourists. The guy thinks it's funny to insult his customers. It was such a pity as the food was very good. Luckily we were not staying and went back to our B&B.

• Stayed June 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed the set menu here- a very impressive selection, well prepared and presented. Massive portions and delicious pudding plate!

• Stayed June 2012
France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

After seeing the menus shown at the front door, I decided to give this restaurant a try for a quick diner before going back to Dublin.

The place is a kind of dark inside and, as noticed by previous commentators, seems to be empty most of the time. I was in fact the only customer when I got in, and it was diner time all right. As soon as I sat down, I was given menus... which included none of the significantly cheaper set menus I had just seen outside. Mmmh, maybe was it just an omission...

A while after came in some other guests, an American family of four. Since they sat down at a table next to mine, I could not prevent myself from hearing their exchanges with the waiter. Just like me, their choice had been made upon prices indicated outside. Just like me, they were given none of these cheaper set menus. When they specifically and politely asked for it, the man immediatly adopted a annoyed kind of air, unabashedly trying to deter them from choosing it, warning them that the portions were very very small and the like !

Although my food was fine - but not really cheap thus, since not from the set menus - I really didn't like the whole pervasive attitude...

PS: I haven't tried the hotel; just the restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This is not a hotel its a dump we have been in better stables, breakfast was terrible and we had to go look for the staff only ever seemed to be one person working at any time....i slept in my clothes it was that cold in our room........DISASTER OF A PLACE...... its a wonder the place was empty

Room Tip: avoid by all costs