“Just OK.” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ireland
“Just OK.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

Checked into this hotel for one evening while on business. Did not see much of hotel as went straight to my room so cannot comment on restaurant etc.. The room was a double but the bed was very small. Big enough for one person but glad I didnt have to share.. The room I stayed in had no air con so I had to leave the window open for the night to leave in some air. There was a massive generator (or something equally noisy) right under my window so didn't get much sleep. The shower head was faulty so sprayed water all over the floor which resulted in a pool of water in the bathroom. Hotel is fine if you are just stopping for the one night but wouldnt recommend it for a peaceful break. Perhaps ask for a room at the front of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

Had my wedding in this hotel, staff were friendly and helpful. food at wedding reception was wonderful and all guests had a great time.

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

We stayed here for a weekend break from Dublin away from Kids. It was a spa week-end package. The hotel was average for a 4 star not my ideal! I mean it was very clean and lacked any atmosphere. We checked into our room a double and the room looked ok clean and contempory furnishings but not very spacious. Then I noticed the bed...it was tiny. We measured it and it was a 4.6 ft double and I immediately went to reception to complain it was too small, I was told it was a 5 foot bed and I did argue and say we have a 5ft at home and no way was it the same. I was told all the beds were the same, I asked for an upgrade and after a bit of tooing and froing she did upgrade me at a cost of 30 Euro (after battlling down frm 60 euro a head) we got the suite for 1 night as it was booked out for the Sat. The bed was spacious and so was the suite. We had to return to our tiny double for the second night! The restaurant was just ok and really did'nt have any atmosphere it was more like a breakfast room. I have to say the Spa was great and very good value as we were in an all in package. The gym is very good too very well equipped and very spacious with plenty of free weights, machines of all sorts and mats etc. The pool was fine too. Overall not a bad hotel but lacked atmosphere and I really would;nt rate it as a 4 star.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
KERRY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

We stayed in the hotel on the mid term break,so it was very busy.My first impression was a very cold reception area and the recepenist could have being more frendly,on our 3 days there all recepion staff were the same.There was no brochures to tell you what was around.The room was nice but too hot.The dining room staff were polite but were going around in circles.We had our dinner there 1 night,we sat down at 6.30 there was only 1 other table in there at the time.It took them 30 min to take the order,in which time there was 10 tables came in .We had to wait another 15 min for our starter ,and 30 min for our main course,it was then 8 0 clock and every body was getting annoyed,we just didnt bother with a dessert as we would be waiting another hour.The food was nice when we did get it.The dining room need a supervisor to organise the staff.The manager was dealing with another table who were complaining,they walked out and he followed them out to the lobby after giving 30 min with them in the dining room.I think he would have being off to stay in the dining room and speed up things .Another annoying thing was the chipped ware ,cups in the rooms ,water jugs and the tea pots ,this was not acceptable for a 4 star or any star for that matter.The Leisure center and gym were very nic e.My over all view of the hotel is,the staff at the front desk should be more helpful and the dining room should be more organised as it is a nice hotel the food is good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

From Marian and Joe, Dublin. Arrived at 8.30pm, travelling from Dublin, over 3 hours on the road. Put bags in room, (320) noticed that double bed was a very small bed, wardrobe a single size, barely room for perhaps 3 hangars, as it was also fitted inside with a small chest of drawers on top of which was the tray for making tea!! Yes --IN the small wardrobe!! Our immediate impression was that it must be a single room. In hindsight should have asked for a different room there and then, but as we were hungry we went to the Lounge in search of Bar Food. Spagetti Bolonaise / Homemade Burger and chips 18 euro???
Very very expensive!! Went to dining room instead and had a main course each, 25 euro for steak , 18 for salmon, very nice and service excellent.
Went back to room at midnight, rang reception to ask for a different room --surely this can't be a double room? 95 euro on a Thursday in Clonmel is not cheap. The night porter answered --there is NOT 24 hour reception at the hotel!! Nobody to take our complaint/request to find us a bigger room. I hasten to add that my husband and i are small people, and average build. Larger people would not have been able to fit into this bed. No joy with the night porter, a very polite man. I asked to speak to the manager and i was told that he would be on duty at 8am in the morning. We were astounded.
What if there was an emergency? The hotel was quite full, we discovered at breakfast next morning. A bit scarey really. We had a very uncomfortable night --afraid to move in case we would fall out over the side of the bed!!
This is a Brennan Hotel, we have stayed in their sister Hotel, The Bettystown Court many times -- always a large room with a big comfortable bed and excellent, in every respect. No comparison. We will NOT be returning.....get your act together !!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Leitrim, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Ok - the good bits - nice hotel, modern surroundings and nice bar with nice bar food etc, room presentation, clenliness etc good - on the other hand though slept a total of approx 3 hours over 2 nights (and trust me this was not by choice) - very noisy rooms (and we were on the thrid floor with the noise eminating from the ground floor) - no temperature control, boiling hot both nights - no wi-fi in the rooms despite broadband being advertised, some lame excuse about being on to Eircom for the past few months (months!!) to try and get it fixed, literature said broadband cables available from reception and again not working - food in restaurant quite plain but have to say portions quite large

Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the end of August.
I thought the hotel was quite modern upon entering the lobby but the room and en-suite decor were a huge disappointment. The girl on check in was not overly polite but maybe she'd just had a long day.
We dined in the hotel on the first night, the food was average, nothing special at all. Service was good though.
Breakfast the next morning was fine, not a great selection of items if you weren't having a hot breakfast and it took a long while to get tea/coffee, I noticed a man behind us had actually finished his hot food before the waitress asked him if would like tea and toast...
We ordered room service on the second night, it was adequate... Dont expect top notch food.....
I used the gym on one of the days and I found it to be well equipped, clean and the staff very helpful.
I will sum up what we found to be the problem with this hotel:
The room temperature was an issue on both nights, it wasn't particularly warm outside but the temperature was so uncomfortable overnight. My husband didn't sleep well on either night. There is no air conditioning and the window does not open in order for you to regulate the temperature at all.
The walls must be paper thin, we could clearly hear the conversation of the couple next door to us and so we spent most of the time whispering.
There was a poor selection of television channels, and last but not least there was no WiFi connection or any access to the internet in our room (even though a previous poster mentions a cable that you can get at the reception).
When we spoke to the girl at reception about it she gave us some story about storm damage and that 'The Provider' had not come to fix it as yet, and as a result there is only internet access in the lobby - however, looking back through reviews this seems to be the case since early in the year.
All in all this was quite a disappointing four star hotel...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Clonmel Park Conference & Leisure Hotel? Share your experiences!