“Well looked after in this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Minella
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coleville Road, Clonmel, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clonmel
dublin, Ireland
“Well looked after in this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

Myself & my family stayed in the Hotel Minalla last week. The facilities in this hotel are very good, especially the Leisure centre & health club. The food was excellant and we found the staff helpful and friendly. We had stayed tere for a wedding about a year ago and we were so impressed with the hotel & surroundings that we decided to return agin. We were not disappointed and hope to be back again next year

• Liked — Comfort & health club
  • Disliked — inland
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

I stayed here before and swore I'd never go back as the manager and staff were probably the rudest I have ever encountered. Imagine my dismay when booked on a work seminar, I found out we had to stay here, 5 of us in total and 5 of us all agree its the worst hotel in all of ireland due to the rudeness of the staff.

I have travelled all over the world and stayed in some flea pits, but the flea pits at least at friendly people. This is a terrible place, only due to the atmosphere, staff mainly the manager!

I hope no-one else has to stay here and have their trips to Clonmel ruined and I hope foreigners don't think that this is typical of irish hospitality!

• Liked — the end of my stay when I could leave
  • Disliked — Rude Manager and staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2007

On a recent trip to Ireland my wife and I stayed at the hotel Minella and could not believe our luck. We were touring in the area and stopped for lunch. We were so impressed by the setting as the Hotel is located on the bank of a river with beautiful gardens and the warmth of the welcome that we decided to stay. Our room was amazing. The pool was a real treat and we lounged in the hot tub over looking the river. After a relaxing day we enjoyed a great dinner by the fire place. The staff and management could not have been more welcoming. We are looking forward to returning and spending more time at the "Minella" on our next trip.

• Liked — Warm welcome and facilities
  • Disliked — Could not stay longer
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2006

We booked the Hotel MInella for two reasons: to see Clonmel again after an absence of many years and to celebrate my 50th birthday in luxury. From the website I thought I would get luxury.....what we got was indifferent management (almost as if they resented having us as guests), indifferent reception, waiting and bar staff, a really, really naff bedroom with a jacuzzi bath (ye Gods!) and a sideways view of the river Suir.
Breakfast was served in a dungeon-like room in the basement with kids jumping around between tables and up and down the stairs, howling whenever they fell (which they did often). I love kids, but found the lack of intervention by parents and restaurant staff deplorable --it certainly diminished our enjoyment of breakfast.
Dinner was included in our weekend offer, so we trundled down to the same room that evening....talk about a blast from the past! Marie-Rose sauce??? I thought they had banned that, together with gloopy gravy. And here were the same awful kids, still squealing. We later learnt that they were the fall-out from a wedding that had taken place at the hotel and were probably exhausted and overwraught from too much excitement (not to mention the parents who were completely ignoring them.)

It is my opinion that the Hotel management should make up its greedy mind as to what makes the most money: affluent and knowledgeable guests who have come to relax or wedding parties and then specialise in one or the other --the two simply don't mix. There was a dispute over the final bill which involved my very tolerant and logical husband getting annoyed over the unnecessary intrangicence of the woman on reception. We WON'T be back.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — on your head be it!
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bristol, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

Stayed in hotel apartments in the grounds of Minella. Everything seemed ok to begin with then my 9 year old daughters bedroom sprung a leak directly over her bed. The manager John created a fuss when we asked to be moved. When we were moved to another apartment there was no apology or gesture of good will for the inconvenience of having to pack up. Then to our shock he let the room out again to somebody else, even though the ceiling was caving in. Will never stay here again. John the manager is very rude, is not worried about keeping the clientelle happy as long as he gets your money.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Waterford Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

I was going to book my wedding in the Minella because is so near my home town and called in to John to get information. He was about as interested as the dog in the porch, basically threw leaflets at me and told me all the info was enclosed. I was taken aback by his rude manner as i expected that he would sit down with me.
I left, raising an eyebrow to what I had just experienced, booked my wedding in Lyrath Estate Hotel, Kilkenny - now that is a real five star hotel with excellent food,service, location,spa,...everything perfect!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — attitude of management was very poor
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
Co. Kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

We stayed at Hotel Minella for a weekend. The hotel is in a lovely location a little outside the town. Our room was spacious, perfectly clean and overlooked the river Suir (the rooms on the other side have views of the Comeragh mountains but also overlook the carpark). The beds were very comfortable. The en-suite bathroom was also large and clean and the shower had good pressure.
The hotel is very nicely furnished (complementing the period character) and there are a few separate rooms for having coffee or a drink and reading the newspaper (supplied free of charge by the hotel).
Dinner proved to be a very nice affair. The food was delicious and the service impeccable. Breakfast is self-service but the waiting staff are happy to get you anything you might have forgotten to get yourselves.
The staff at reception, in the dining-room, in the bar and at breakfast were at all times courteous, friendly and efficient, even though the hotel was very busy with Christmas parties on both nights.
There is also a leisure centre with swimming-pool which, unfortunately, we did not have time to visit.
All in all, the special weekend rate (2 nights bed and breakfast plus one dinner) represented excellent value in a nice hotel in a lovely part of the country. We had a perfectly pleasant and relaxing stay and would like to go back again.

• Liked — The slightly Victorian atmosphere, the large bedroom and the hotel dog "Sparky"
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Minella? Share your experiences!