“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Newry, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed here in early November while attending a wedding in Darver Castle
Lovely room, decor up to date and attrctive.
Excellent service great choice at breakfast including omletette made to order. Speedy check in and out.
Lovely view from room
Would stay here again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CrownePlazaDundalk, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and availed of the freshly prepared omelettes.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards
Niamh Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

A few of us stayed here recently for a night at the Dundalk races and its the only place to stay if going racing. Lovely clean rooms of a decent size, good breakfast and polite staff. As other reviewers have said the bus to the races cut it tight but we were there just in time. I will be back!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and for your feedback.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Gobsmacked to hear on check-in that wifi wasn't available in rooms even as a paying option. For a four star hotel I would have expected this to be included in the price (and fast). The fact it wasn't available even as a paying option seems like a show-stopper for a four star hotel in 2013. Ruined my visit at least as I was banking on having it with some work to do. I've stayed in family guest-houses in developing countries that can provide this service so it was a real shock to run into this problem. Wired internet is available in the rooms (I didn't check whether that was an extra charge, probably) but that is useless to the many devices that don't have an ethernet port and/or users who don't want to be tethered to the wall.

Otherwise the hotel seemed efficient and pleasant except for the fact that parking was almost impossible on all occasions I had to park the car there, had to go to a car park attached to a neighbouring apartment block. Also only had smoking rooms available on checking-in and the room was very small for a four star hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear JP B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the WiFi policy of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed in this hotel on Friday 15th November with friends to go to the races at Dundalk stadium, the hotel do a package bed, breakfast and travel to racecourse but the bus is supposed to leave at 5.15pm but didn't leave until 5.30pm so we didn't have much time to study the horses for the first race. Hotel rooms very nice and very comfortable the only snag was at 4.30am we had people knocking at our door when I went out the said sorry they were looking for Mary, then 15mins later another knock went out again other chaps looking for Mary this went on the third time I rang reception to get security but the phone just rang and rang.no one answered...this knocking went on until 6.00am, just as well no one was needing a doctor !!!! We also asked reception to supply us with some toothpaste as we had forgotten ours they said of course it would be up right away but sad to say it never arrived just as well we had friends there. I would go to this hotel again as the bed and breakfast was very good value and I think we were just unfortunate as to our disturbed night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I am sorry that your night was disturbed. I have brought this to the attention of the night team.

We do endeavor to get the buses away on time every time so that guest have the full enjoyment of the night at the races. We will contunue to review this to ensure that is does happen each time.

Thank yuo once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza in the near future.

Newry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Arrived at hotel guy on reception very helpful, pleasant and efficient. Rooms clean, modern, bright. Fixtures and fittings high quality. The bed I could steal. Breakfast second to none even for fussy beggars like me. I will be back again and again! Even the taxi service was brilliant. Well worth every euro competitively priced too.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your recent visit to Dundalk.
We do receive great comment on the beds. They are Kingcoil Pillow top Matresses.

I hope that we can welocme you back to the Crowne Plaza in the near future.

Monaghan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I must begin by saying that I have stayed in the Crowne Plaza and ate there on many occasions and I have never had one complaint. It would always be my first choice of hotel to stay in when I am in Dundalk for a night. However I was in attendance at a friends wedding on Saturday and I was staying over with my girlfriend. The wedding reception was wonderful. Beautiful setup, nice selection of food with the champagne reception and a great atmosphere. The price of drink was a bit high but no different from any other hotel for a wedding so no big deal. When it came time for the meal the starters were lovely, the wine was very nice and the overall presentation was outstanding.

However unfortunately due to an unknown gas leak in the hotel we had to evacuate the premises until the fire service sorted out the problem. It was a cold night and to the hotels credit they ordered some mini buses for people to keep out of cold about a half hour after the evacuation. Luckily I had my car keys on me and could sit in there. it was well over an hour before we could go back inside. I must note that the fire officers asked people who were smoking outside not to due to the gas leak, however on returning to the building all the candles in the wedding area were still lit and were not extinguished at all during the evacuation. Seeing as it was gas leak this was very very careless!

On returning rumors of a free bar passed from one guest to another and this was indeed true. A nice gesture on behalf of the hotel as it was soon made clear that there would be no more food served as the the fire service were still working on the gas situation. The free bar as nice a gesture as it was wasn't just for the wedding but the every guest in the hotel and i noticed none wedding guests in with the wedding party which I thought wasn't right. Yes, we were told we couldn't leave the ground floor but the main bar was on the ground floor so surely non wedding guests could have been served there. I know if it was my wedding I wouldn't like strangers being at my reception.

Needless to say the wedding party were all quite hungry and everyone devoured the chocolates that were on the tables. Granted the hotel could turn on any of the kitchen appliances, but they could have easily organized some food from local venders, even it was a pizza or sausages or chips it would have been more appreciated than a free bar in my opinion and would have probably cost the hotel less. Yes there were sandwiches produced eventually but people were cold and hot food would have been great. I know many guests went into town to a meal and myself and my girlfriend ended up ordering a pizza at the end of the night because we were so hungry. However the lack of food isn't the most upsetting part.

I don't know what went on with the hotel and wedding party and its none of my business but it broke my heart to see the couple eventually get to cut their cake before the band began and then announce that they were going home and for us all to try and enjoy the night. It was bad enough that they missed out on having those special wedding memories like the speeches etc, now they wouldn't even have their first dance as man and wife that I know they had put a lot of planning into. Again I have no idea what went on behind closed doors between management and bride and groom but cant help but feel like management dropped the ball. The free bar offer was to end at midnight and as far as I could tell the few remaining guests were told this at 10 minutes to twelve. I witnessed for myself the bar staff taking time with fixing drinks and when producing the drinks that were ordered before twelve a minute or 2 after 12 requested payment for them. I thought this very very bad. fair enough if someone ordered a drink after the free bar deadline it was right that thy should pay, but people had ordered drinks prior to 12 and received them after were expected to pay.

As for my stay in the hotel room, the following morning I was in bad need of a hot shower but there was no hot water. I guessed the gas problem had still not been sorted. To the hotels credit on checking out my girlfriend asked about a discount due to lack of hot water and we didn't receive one. We were fully refunded the price of the room.

Now I know this review is quite negative and I do feel like the hotel could have handled the situation better. It was very unfortunate that something like this happened on someones big day. It was a bad experience for all but that been said all the staff I dealt with were really nice and they felt just as bad as we did for the whole situation. It was very decent of the hotel to refund us the whole amount for the stay. As I said at the start I have stayed here many times and had no complaints. I don't want to blast the hotel for this freak incident that could have happened anywhere and I'm sure it was a nightmare to deal with but I do think in parts it could have been handled better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear John M,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your review of your recent experience at our property. This feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your recent stay with us. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services, I want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. The points you've raised were noted and shared with our Management Team for review and would certainly be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Once again, our apologies for the overall inconvenience this unfortunate even has caused.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

What a beautiful hotel, the guy on the reception desk was friendly, chatty and professional. I think his name was Brendan. The room was immaculate, spacious with a enormous bed. We ate dinner in the bar and it was faultless. The restaurant is on the 13th floor with stunning views out over the Irish Sea. Breakfast was also faultless with very friendly staff all in all a wonderful experience would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.
I have passed on your comments to all the team and to Brendan on the front desk.

Niamh Murphy

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk? Share your experiences!