“What a great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dundalk
Manchester
“What a great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2007

We stayed at Ballymascanlon for a long weekend for a family members birthday. We were a party of 11 in total and every one of us was incredibly impressed by the hotel. We have stayed at many hotels claiming to be of 4 star standard in the past and failing to impress, but Ballymascanlon is well worthy of its 4 stars for various reasons.

We have a 17 month old little boy and were a bit nervous about how flexible the hotel would be. I contacted the hotel before we arrived with various queries and got quick and full response from them answering all my questions and giving me more than enough info to put my mind at rest.

Whilst there, the hotel were incredibly accommodating to the baby's needs, providing milk, warming bottles and being flexible with times of food to fit with my little boy's lunch time and extra bits as we needed. They also provided a lovely babysitter for one evening. The staff were great with him full stop.

Apart from the baby needs, all adult needs were also met. Our room was perfect with not only enough room for a double bed, single bed and cot and room to spare, but the biggest surprise was a standalone shower as well as a bath in the bathroom, which, from my experience, is very rare in hotels. Fantastic bonus.

The food in the main restaurant in the evenings was fantastic as was the service. We couldn't fault it at all. We were a big table and there were no mistakes or delays at all. Make sure you leave room for dessert.

The pool and leisure facilities looked great although I didn't get a chance to use them but my neice and nephew did and had a great time. My husband would have loved a round of golf too but didn't get the chance for that either.

The really nice thing about this hotel is that it is not a run of the mill chain hotel like many others. It is not sterile and samey. It has a very distinct friendly personality which is very cosy and homely rather than run of the mill/businessy (although I'm sure they cater well for that too) It's a bit rustic in ways, not perfectly pristeen and new but that adds to the comfort and atmosphere of the place.

All in all we'd all definitely recommend it and will be going back next time we're in Ireland for a holiday.

• Liked — Service and flexibility
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Drogheda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

Had my wedding at the ballymac in november and stayed the following night also. It was absolutely fantastic - the rooms are nice, the service is good and the food is great. Couldnt imagine a better venue for a wedding or a weekend away. Close to carlingford (which is lovely) and a golf course i have been told is good.

• Liked — Elegant and classy all the way
  • Disliked — Not cheap
  • Stayed November 2006
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2006

We chose this hotel for our wedding reception and many of the guests stayed over. It is family run and has a very welcoming feel. The guests just loved it. The restaurant is excellent and breakfast was a particular hit.
Many of our friends enjoyed taking their children to the lovely pool.

I can't really recommend it enough.

• Liked — Setting
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

Lovely property, nice rooms, restaurant is in bad need of refurbishment, feels like something from the 70's and really need to do somehting with the food as it is so so basic but priced well, the rooms are not cheap though and beware of the staff as they seem to be very fixed in their ways, all in all ok but would give it a miss next time

• Stayed May 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

Hello there,

Myself, my wife and our two children have just spent a long weekend at the Ballymascanlon hotel on the recommendation of a friend and we had a wonderfully relaxing time there. The kids loved the pool and my wife had a massage while I played golf then we went for an excellent evening meal. To top it all the staff were warm and friendly (Dublin hotels take note!) and the family room we had was bright and spacious. Would I visit this hotel again? The answer is a resounding yes and I have already recommended the Ballymascanlon to several close friends! It is so close to dublin that it only took us an hour and five minutes door-to-door.

• Stayed August 2005
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2005

Must agree with the last comment. We stayed there in June 2004 and the rooms and the leisure centre were very nice I had problems with the female manager. There was a call billed to our room at a time when we were definately not in the room, this woman totally made us feel that we had made the call and were trying to get out of paying for it. She insisted the call had been made from our room and was not an error. This had me extremely worried that people had been in our room and eventually after much insistance on my part the hotel owner arrived and checked the entry system on the room door and stated no one had entered the room. At this stage the female manager called the number to see did the people answering know us. The numer was a fax machine, I couldn't believe it when she actually faxed it to ask did they know me. This lady is extremely rude and this is the only reason I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2004, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2004

Just by chance we stumbled upon this lovely old hotel in superb surroundings. By no means is the accommodation cheap here but the rooms are of a good size. I have to say that the only thing that let this place down hugely was the receptionist on the desk (Manageress maybe). We found her to be very condescending and not in the least bit helpful. One thing I pride myself on is my Irish Ancestry and when myself and my girlfriend checked in with the most unhospitable woman I have ever met on the desk, I have to say that Irish hospitality is out the window...just ruined our stay immensely in this lovely quaint establishment.

Been to Ballymascanlon House Hotel? Share your experiences!