“Stay away at all costs, starve if necessary!!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Galway
“Stay away at all costs, starve if necessary!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I stopped in Glengarrif and made the monumental mistake of being badgered into The Rainbow Resturant, the use of that word being very loose in my opinion. There was NO atmosphere, the place was dark and not very clean and the staff were not very nice. I ordered a plain pizza and my boyfriend ordered fish, the warning bells went off when our food arrived out literally 3mins later. The fish was fine but the pizza was disgusting, it was cheddar cheese and was so strong I could smell it even before I saw it. So I refused to eat it and was sneered at by a woman who seemed to be quite senior. I re-ordered a toasted sandwich, I said ham and tomato and then corrected my order to cheese and tomato. All I had to do then was wait, and wait I did, in a place where a main courses are out in 3 minutes I was still waiting 10 minutes later for a toasted sandwich. No-one else ordering at the same time either. When my sandwich eventually did arrive it was the first order, which I changed, ham and tomato. When I complained the lady proceeded to fight me on the fact that I corrected the order to cheese and tomato. She took it back to the kitchen and I could hear her swearing about me to the kitchen staff. I waited another 7-10 minutes, paid and took my sandwich takeaway because the glares from the lady in charge were very off putting. It was one of the worse eating experiences I have EVER had in this country. Please please do not throw your money away by eating in this place it's beyond bad. They don't deserve the title resturant. Avoid at all costs.

• 1 of 5 stars Food

“Avoid even if desperate!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Horrendous food in what can only be described as sub standard restaurant. Unfriendly staff who appear to be as miserable as my family and I were having wasted 60 euros on an inedible lunch. Would suggest that management take a serious review of their business and take into account the many negative reviews that their restaurant has received todate. In excusable in this day and age!

Paris
“SEEMINGLY A MISTAKE..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I went here for lunch in August . The owner was a bit strange...not very friendly...anyway I ordered chowder and my husband had soup. My chowder was very tasty and I ordered the lemon cheesecake for dessert which was equally tasty. The waitresses were friendly and when my husband asked the waitress if she could get the recipe, the chef's anwser was that it was a secret...

So we came home and had a look to see what other people had to say about this place and it was strange to see that the majority of opinions were negative. One particularly caught my eye and it was someone who was served an expensive bottle of wine which they recognized as coming from LIDL. So I checked out LIDL and lo and behold..they sell chowder and lemon cheese cake...!!! Now maybe it's a coincidence...but if it isn't we now know why the chef had a "secret"! If it's LIDL stuff though I wouldn't knock it...I never shop there but it was really good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Galway, Galway, Ireland
“My worst dining experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have been to restaurants and hotels where there was not a single dish I liked on the menu and I still enjoyed each and every one of them more than the Rainbow Restaurant. The food was abysmal, the service was a mess and the owner is a con-man creep. I ordered the pizza and ended up grimacing my way through it out of hunger, but even then, I couldn't finish it. My sister remarked that it looked like it was a frozen oven pizza but that was unfair to oven pizzas, which I generally enjoy. There was a horrible chemical taste from the pepperoni and the cheese was plainly gone off. I've never seen a pizza with so much cheese that was still as empty and flat. The crust was passable, and the only part of the pizza I didn't leave behind, but, again, that was a fact of hunger, not enjoyment.

The serving staff were clearly trying their best but the owner had them on some strange orbit, whereby they would continuously float around the restaurant, walking through the inside, out one door, along the outdoor tables, and back in the other, so the staff ended up taking turns dealing with us, which, predictably, led to several mix-ups.

The lying creep of an owner also attempted to nix our ordering of glasses of water to go with our dinner, telling us the water was "like milk" with chlorine. We ended up ordering drinks to sate our thirst, but the owner obviously failed to intercept the right waitress, because we were soon delivered five glasses of clear, sweet water, then another brought the drinks we'd since ordered, pushing up our bill by over a tenner.

Glengarriff has plenty of other eateries worth visiting, such as the divine Casey's Hotel, so, whatever the slimy bollocks who runs the place tells you, do not, under any circumstances, waste your time or money in this dump. The absolute worst dining experience of my life.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is the worst meal I have ever been served. Eight of us chose to eat here based on the owner telling us how wonderful it was and all of the different sea food he would have on that evening. When we got to the restaurant all seemed OK until we started to order. Wine just dumped on the table, no offer to try or for the waitress to pour it. Two of us had scallops as a starter and they were repulsive. They looked like off cuts that had previously been frozen and were so over cooked they were inedible. This set the tone for the main courses. Fish platter, dry overcooked bits of fish, seafood stuffed plaice fillets, the only seafood in them was a bit of dry salmon, mussels that were well past their best. Needless to say the owner had disappeared by this point and left a miserable woman to to try and appease the situation. We paid for very little of what was served to us and wished we'd checked here before we visited.