“Unfriendly staff” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
dublin
“Unfriendly staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I booked a room in the athlone spring hotel and mentioned that we were on honeymoon. I was contacted to ask if I wanted to upgrade to the bridal suite for an extra fee after the booking was made, which I agreed to. The suite was indeed very nice and comfortable, however, there was no evidence whatsoever that we were on honeymoon - no flowers, nothing.... Not even the member of staff we checked in with uttered a 'congratulations'.

On the first evening, I had booked dinner in the cedar restaurant as part of our package. When we arrived, the voucher I had was snatched out of my hand before I could say anything by a blond woman. She marched us to our table with no friendliness. When I ordered a bottle of shiraz and pointed to it on the menu, she brought a bottle of chardonnay. That said, there was no problem changing it. The tall waiter ("Lurch") never exchanged one word with us and took away my bread plate while I was still eating the bread. He had a permanent grimace on his face that night and both mornings at breakfast. Our dinner lasted approx 1 hour as we were rushed thru the courses. It was a rather unpleasant experience. There were two girls who served us who were pleasant but he blonde woman and guy were just awful.
I have to mention that the staff in the spa and leisure centre were very nice.

I wouldn't return to this hotel. It was a big let down for us at the end of our honeymoon ( it was our final stop) Also, it's located next to a building site.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

Was at a wedding here and stayed overnight.

Very impressed with hotel. Loved the decor and staff were very friendly.

Our room was lovely but believe there is better rooms with shower room etc, all tiled black and more modern. Probably at a higher cost.

Bit out from the centre of the town though so would have to drive or get a taxi if you wanted to head down.

But overall a lovely hotel and would recommend it.

In my opinion more aimed at adults, than kids..

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in August 2008. Got a good deal internet rate for 2 nights B&B / 1 Din. At booking, we requested a double non-smoking room, but at check-in, they said that they only had twin room available, which after sometime "discussing" this with the receptionist, they found a double room. When we got to the room, it had a sliding door to a rooftop area but the room stank of stale ciggarette smoke, with butts scattered around the window area - and this apparently was a non-smoking room. It was not pleasant at all so we immediately requested a room change. After sometime, they located another (!!) double room which was non-smoking. This room was fine with a very impressive sized bathroom. Rooms were spotless. The room was located near an area where smokers tended to congregrate so became a bit noisy at night time. Overall, the hotel is quite impressive, but location is further outside of Athlone town than we realised. The parking is free and there's plenty of it. The pool is nice and the dining area & breakfast was fine. When we were there, it was a quite busy weekend with a debs or a graduation going-on, so breakfast the next morning was busy. The bar food was nice - and the meal on the 2nd night was very pleasant. Would probably return.

• Liked — The huge bathroom with the nice goodies supplied.
  • Disliked — Having to request room change, the confrontation with the receptionist at check-in in order to get the room we had specifically requested.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I had a lovely stay at Athlone Springs hotel. Got a great offer for 2 nights B&B, 1 evening meal and a spa voucher. 7 of us arrived on Fri evening. We had 3 rooms, 2 were adjoining. Rooms were lovely, very comfortable and spotless. We got room service and chilled on fri night. Breakfast on sat morning was very tasteful, plenty of food on offer and piping hot. We all used the leisure centre and got spa treatments on Saturday. The girls in the spa were very pleasant and we were totally relaxed afterwards. Our meal was booked for 8.30 on sat night. As the hotel was fully booked, we had to wait about 15minutes for our table but it was worth the wait, the food was beautiful. We had a few drinks in the bar afterwards which was full but we got a table and seats after a few minutes.
Breakfast was lovely again on the sunday morning, and we all left the hotel totally refreshed.

This hotel is beside a few small shops, but is not in walking distance to Athlone town. If you want a totally relaxing break with no reason to leave the hotel, then this is the place to go. I'm going back next month with my husband!

• Liked — The rooms were lovely. Pool and leisure centre enjoyable.
  • Disliked — Not walking distance to the town.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

After requesteing a quite room when making the reservation and again at check in we were put over the ball room which was hosting a wedding until 2:30am!
We were then given an early morning wake up call by two house keeping staff shouting at each other outside our room, we had to go out to them twice to ask them to keep it down!
The bath/shower was dirty, it was, without mistake not cleaned since the last guests.

When we were checking out I was waiting for the resteptionest to ask how was our stay but she barley even made eye contact with me, not at all friendly.
I informed her of my dissatisfaction with our stay but half way through my story she cut me off and went to get a manager.
Finally the general manager came along and he was no more interested in what I had to say. I was not looking for anything off my bill or anything free I just wanted someone to listen to what I had to say. He offered me a cup of tea, not even an apology!!
He was very rude and was not at all interested.

No way can this hotel be 4*, I have stayed in better 3 * hotels. Never again.

• Liked — Checking out!
  • Disliked — The General Manager and dirty bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

We met in the athlone springs hotel for a girlie weekend last week and it turned out to be a great choice. From when we arrived on the Friday night to when we left on Sunday. Some people had bar food when we arrived and it was fantastic, breakfast was very good on Saturday morning and we had dinner on saturday night which turned out to be a great success with very attentive and friendly service. The only small complaint I would have would be regarding the spa. I had tried to book a treatment a few weeks in advance of going and there was no availability. Myself and two of my friends however found a small nail bar about two minutes walk from the hotel which provided a very reasonable file and paint for 10 euro. They do also need to sort our their breakfast room service, which was mixed up on Sunday morning. A few of us got the wrong orders but it didnt dampen our weekend as everything else was great.... I will be back.

• Liked — The smart and spacious rooms and friendly service
  • Disliked — Location a bit out of town
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Killala, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

Stayed here at this hotel midweek with my husband and family.
This hotel is lovely and cant understand how anyone could be disappointed.
Check in - Lovely friendly receptionist.
Bedroom - Very chic decor in rooms had an executive room with bath. Only complaint I would have is that the rooms are much much too warm and can understand people complaining about this. We could'nt turn off the radiator, Seriously needs to have air conditioning installed.
Bar - Bar is lovely and comfortable a bit small maybe. but comfy.
Found Service from Barman to be excellent.
Breakfast - Very nice breakfast.
Dinner - No faults here lovely and tasty.
Leisure Centre. This is truly the best part of the hotel. Fabulous swimming pool and jacuzzi pool the family loved it.
Area- Set in an industrial estate and a bit out of town for shopping .

All in all I would have no hesitation in staying here again for 79 euro for room for night great value.

• Liked — leisure centre. hotel bedrooms
  • Disliked — the general area
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Athlone Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!