“Birthday Bash” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Northgate Street, Athlone, Ireland (Formerly Radisson SAS)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Milton, Florida
“Birthday Bash”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We had a family party here in Jan 2012. It was a wonderful weekend. The staff throughout the hotel were welcoming, friendly and very very accommodating. We had dinner in the Egan room which is just off the main dining room but private enough for a small get together. The food and service was excellent. For breakfast there was a choice to suit everyone's taste and even special requests. We had family rooms, twin rooms and double rooms. The accommodation was more than adequate for families and everything was clean and fresh. We were especially impressed by the value for money. There is a lovely view from the hotel but we didn't make the terrace because of the rain. It is easy walking distance to the town center and lots of shopping choices. Car parking is available. We would love to return and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Kingscourt, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

My husband and I go to the Raddison Athlone regularly. I went 5 years ago for my hen night and loved the hotel that much we now go back yearly. Recently stayed in the hotel and from the minute we walked through the door from being made very welcomed at reception right until we left. Staff very nice. Both staff in bar and house staff were lovely. Location is great too. Lovely to sit in the bar on a saturday afternoon and watch the boats/water. We also stayed in the Lough Sheelan Suite and the comfort/space in this room was great. Overall a great stay and yes we will be back again and again!! Athlone as a town is lovely. Alot of shops near and you can just park car at Hotel and not move all weekend - which is handy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to read your review of the Radisson Blu and of the fantastic time you had here with us in Athlone.
I will be forwarding on your comments to all the team at the hotel who will be glad see that we both met and exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and I will look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone again

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed here on Jan 30th and 31st. We got free upgrade to Junior Suite. The room was lovely, with beautiful views of the Shannon from both windows. Room while really big was cosy, warm and spotless. Nice soft Bathrobes and slippers and all the extra little toiletries. Morning paper left outside our door each morning. Staff were lovely and more than helpful. We had food in bar which was really nice and breakfast was full Irish and wide choice of cereal, fruit, fresh bread etc. We were walking distance to town if we fancied a change. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will certainly be back again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Audrey,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu hotel on TripAdvisor, it was a pleasure to read your review and of the lovely time you had here in Athlone. We pride ourselves here at the Radisson Blu on providing the best service to all our guests so as to ensure they have that special experience here with us. The views from the Junior and Business rooms are often commented on and provide a lovely backdrop to the hotel most certainly !

I will look forward to seeing you back in Athlone again in the very near future

Wexford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in August. The hotel is in a great location overlooking the river and cruisers passing by. The terrace is lovely for enjoying a drink and admiring the views. The room was a business class room with a very comfortable bed and nice bathroom. What let this hotel down with a bang was the Breakfast. There was a great selections but the quality of the produce was terrible. Juices were cheap and watery, and the cooked full Irish was tasteless. The "fresh" fruit salad was soggy and seemed to have been stored and put back out morning after morning.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel on TripAdvisor, I am sorry to hear you mention the poor quality of the breakfast served during your stay with us here, I have forwarded your comments to our Operations Manager and Head Chef who will address this concerning issue as per your feedback, the Radisson breakfast has always been a key noted quality of the Radisson Blu standards so I can assure you this has been noted as high priority.

I do however hope this will not deter you from returing to the Radisson Blu in the future as I see you note the many other positive aspects to your stay. The terrace is a beautiful setting especially in the summer months providing a wonderful view of the Marina.

Once again thank you for taking the time and reviewing the Hotel and I do hope we will see you in the very near future

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We organised a family birthday celebration at the Radisson. Mixture of seniors/adults/children. The hotel recommended booking the Egan room for dinner slightly off the restaurant but not isolated from it which was perfect for our group.
The staff were very obliging with regards to any request made for projectors/screens/lighting/dietery requirements.. all taken care of with smiles, although they were very busy that weekend. The meal was good. The rates were excellent and the rooms were spotless and very quiet with little or no stray noises coming from the corridors. Family rooms were spacious and the kids loved the pool. Would not hesitate rebooking here..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing the Radisson Blu Hotel online. I am delighted to see that you really enjoyed your stay with us here in Athlone. The staff of the hotel are one of the best assets to the business and often noted for their dedication and professional, friendly service to our patrons.
Our family rooms are indeed large spacious and designed with the needs of the family market in mind.
I hope we will see you again in the very near future here at the Radisson Blu in Athlone
Shanagarry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Having arrived straight from Shannon Airport, to the Radisson, we were a little early for check in and yet they accommodated us with smiling faces and told us that breakfast was still being served. Our room overlooked the river which was lovely and the hotel itself is clean and spacious. Though we stayed just one night before our true journey began, it was a very good beginning. The staff couldn't have been nicer. Welcome to Ireland!

Room Tip: It is a good value for the money and worth the stay.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel online, I am delighted to see that the reception on arrival for you here at the hotel was a positive and very welcoming experience and I will forward on your comments to the relevant departments.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels and will look forward to seeing you again

Drogheda, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

This was our third stay in this hotel, the previous two times were fine, we as a couple both enjoyed the comfort and surrounding areas of Athlone, always leaving refreshed and relaxed after our stay. This time however things have changed for the worse..

We paid for a business class suite overlooking the river, the room was comfortable but looking a bit dated, few stains on carpets, few wet patches in bathrooms but was happy enough.

We were both looking forward to a swim, and a sauna when we got there after the drive. Arrived down to the pool area to find sauna was out of order, the pool was very dirty and the floors of the changing rooms were disgusting, we left after 10 minutes.

When we got back to room, I decided to have a bath, the switch for the shower head and tap was broken so you have to fill the bath using half the tap, half the shower head! Thought I'd let it slide..

Booked a table for a meal in the hotel as we dined there previously and were happy with the food in the past. Meal was bland to say the least, service was terrible (having to ask more than twice for things is unacceptable in these times), asked for a medium cooked steak, got a well done one instead. Mentioned this to the manager there whom apologized. Thought 70euro for two was very steep considering what we got, the only good thing about the meal was the dessert.

Went out to reception to get a taxi into town (it was freezing that night), the lady at the desk called one for us. After twenty minutes and no sign of the taxi I went back up to the desk to discover no sign of the lady who called for us, the man on duty made a joke about it... we walked into town as I was getting angry at this stage.

Arrived back to hotel room after a few drinks to a horrible smell in the room. As we searched around the room we discovered the carpet beside the bed was soaking wet making the smell of the wet carpet rise. I can only guess this was a leak somewhere the bathroom. I threw some towels over it but the smell was so bad we both didn't sleep well at all.

On checkout the next morning (we missed breakfast as we were both so tired from no sleep!), I complained about the water issue, I was passed onto the manager whom offered me 25euro back from the room rate.

I just want to warm people that are spending their hard earned money like us to avoid this 2 star hotel in my opinion. This experience has diminished my faith in holidaying in Ireland again for the near future and the Radisson as a chain.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for reviewing the Radisson Blu hotel online and providing the management team here with such informative feedback with regards your previous stay here with us. I was sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time here and it was clear many different issues occured throughout your stay.
As you can see from the other reviews here on TripAdvisor this is most certainly not the standard of the Radisson Blu brand.

I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you in more detail, as I acknowledge you are a previous customer of the hotel and had both positive experiences here at the Radisson Blu before.

Please feel free to contact me here at the hotel at any stage at all or indeed any of the management team

Martina Donoghue

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone? Share your experiences!