“NIce but some unnecessary snootiness was unnerving” 4 of 5 stars

Wineport Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lakeshore Road | Glasson, Athlone, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Cork, Ireland
“NIce but some unnecessary snootiness was unnerving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Wineport lodge is nice. It's the kind of place you take to by yourself or as a couple, load up with reading material and if possible entrench yourself in this lakeside location for a few days R&R.

The good bits:
The location right on the shores of Lough Ree,
The enormous comfortable and well appointed bedroom. The lake view, The food in the restaurant and the maitre d'.
Breakfast in the bedroom was a luxury and the presentation nice but the food not spectacular.
The excellent shower.
Watching the sun go down and the cruisers quietly passing by.
The morning newspaper, complimentary slippers and dressing gowns.
The pillows. Flatscreen TV.

The bad bits: Among the 'higher' levels of staff there was a very unnecessary snootiness which was off putting and awkward. The reception staff could have been more helpful, they were not , after all terribly busy when we were there. The hotel was not very busy itself. I would say 25% occupancy at the time.
I did not like them phoning my room to ask if I was dining with them. I had previously gone to great pains by email to tell them what my dining requirements were.
I did not like been asked loudly by the bar man if we wanted a night cap before we went to bed. (I'm well able to ask for something when I want it)

The attention to detail in the bedroom could have been better there were cobwebs hanging from the ceiing (which I whisked away before my wife eyeballed them) and a very thick coating of dust on a timber beam above the bed. This fuzz threatend to topple on top of us at any moment.

There was a certain meanness about the quantity of toiletries. Yes it was expensive stuff (L'Occitane)but we ran out before we left and this was not noticed by housekeeping. The bath was chipped, toilet not great to flush and bath surround a bit worn.

There is a little lounge bar on the ground floor which is also a through way from some of the bedroooms so pretty constant traffic.
The mini bar in the bedroom(a source of great annoyance to me)
That irritating person on the Jet Ski, who buzzed up and down incessantly right up until it got dark. Why can they not put a time limit on that particular noisy craft?
Once outside the main gate of the hotel there is not anywhere very scenic to walk, as the lake cannot be seen from the road.

In summary. The bedrooms have everything that is provided by a good quality 4* hotel. The hotel surroundngs are very pretty. We had a very good meal there and the service was mixed.

Would I recommend to my best friend? I would.
Would I go back? Not for what I paid and not until some of the staff get over themselves. It's a hotel in a lovely location, just like so many others dotted all over the country where the welcome is more and the cost is less.
However, if you get a few days there at a reasonable rate, take the opportunity.

• Liked — The view from the balcony.
  • Disliked — unnecessary snootiness from some members of staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

I thought this place was amazing, the service was wonderful (except the female manager, who was not a bit friendly, and a bit brisk).

Food: top notch. dinner was an occassion in itself, service was impeccable (thoughj the place was a bit busy and once or twice we had trouble catching waiter's attention)

Wine: excellent! and the wine list has the history of the place.

Room: most comfortable and massive bed ever, soft pillows, soft feather duvet. Great View, not problem with bathroom window that some reviewers have mentioned, bathroom gorgeous, lovely toiletries, I had a v relaxing bath with bubbles and sipping the glass of white wine which came free (half bottle) in the room. Slept like a baby both nights.

Breakfast: delivered to the room, everything homemade and piping. pancakes with maple syrup and crispy bacon, poached egg, 2 types of toast, pastries, fresh juice and smoothie, pot of tea and pot of coffee, the newspaper. We lounged in our robes and slippers enjoying breakfast and reading the papers and looking at the view for over an hour!

we brought our bikes and the hotel gave us a list of possible routes/walks, and even offered to pack us a picnic lunch!

hot tub on the roof was lovely, even in the cold of october we were toasty.

had treatments (hot stones for me - bliss, and neck massage for him - his first ever massage and he nearly fainted with relaxation), therapist was lovely (if a little over-familiar at times, but in a friendly way).

Service was great, they actually showed us to our room, which I notice fewer places doing these days, and they showed us where everything was and how everything worked.
they gave us a great recommendation for dinner in the village for our second night. (a lovely little pub place with great food).
they even offer to collect you by car from athlone train station if you dont feel like driving down!

glasson is a gorgeous place and the wineport lodge is a fabulous treat, save it up for when you really need to unwind and de-stress. a great place for a birthday treat, and very romantic.

• Liked — the attention to detail - all the little extras available
  • Disliked — few complaints, but the manageress was a bit cold. Other staff were great though!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed in the Wineport in March 08. Our evening meal was excellent but everything else was average.
I was extremely disappointed with the breakfast. I expected more than a buffet style, and the selection and quality was poor for a 4*. The room was average and the furnishings stained and dated. The hotel itself has limited communal areas, small bar, tiny reception.The baby sitter fee was 50-75% more than we are usually charged when staying in hotels and they had poor understanding of English.
Service was friendly and efficient. Overall I feel the accommodation is overpriced and overrated but the restaurant is excellent.
I definitely won't be staying there again.

• Liked — The Evening Meal
  • Disliked — The breakfast and babysitting services detracted from the experience.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Roscommon, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

I stayed here for one night late in November. We were shown to our room and what a view!!! It was amazing. There was a bottle of port waiting for us on the side table and it was a welcome treat on wet and windy day. Also as it was a special occasion there was a bottle of champagne on ice, which we also enjoyed.

As we were going to dinner we were invited to have some per-dinner drinks and mince pies. Our order for dinner was taken in the bar and once we were escorted to dinner everything including the different wines we had ordered was waiting at our table for us and of course our starters came out almost immediately. The service in the restaurant was excellent - the food was delivered quickly, and not once did the waiters have to ask who had ordered what meal even though a member of the bar staff had taken our order and not the lovely waiter that served us. The food itself was delicious and probably the best I've ever eaten. After dinner we were invited to have post dinner drinks but decided that between the port and champagne in our room, the pre dinner drinks, and drinks during the dinner, we'd quite enough :)

Breakfast the next morning, which was delivered to our room at no extra cost, was amazing and everything was home made and fresh. On checkout we were offered tea/coffee and biscuits before we left so service again amazing!!!!

The negatives: when on the balcony of our room we could see into other guests rooms and they could see us too. Also in the room we were in the bathroom had a round window looking out into the bedroom and if you used the bathroom during the night the light filtered into the room. Noise from the corridor filtered into the bedroom.

Overall this hotel is amazing, helped by the location naturally but the hotel itself is just a site to behold. The rooms have beautiful wooden furniture (not the run of the mill standard hotel room furniture), the staff are friendly and offer brilliant service throughout. Everyone from the reception staff, bar staff, to restaurant staff are absolutely lovely.

• Liked — Food and service
  • Disliked — Probably noise of other guests walking outside our door but that is picking at straws!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

Our first impression of Wineport was a poorly maintained wood exterior and its staff huddled smoking outside a side door as we attempted to find parking , didnt give me a warm sensation.
Upon retrieval of a parking spot we managed to make it inside to check in. My wife slipped on some greasy wooded steps on the way in (without a safety mat I may add).
The receptionist was at best borderline friendly , trying to ask and direct a member of the restaurant staff to show us to our room.
We were shown to the only room in the hotel that didnt have a view (even though the website states that all rooms have) , only after I complaimed did we get shown to a lakeside room.
Now I'm a person that see's the glass half full in a lot of situations so I'm trying to put things in perspective here. I surveyed the room - small but pretty with a wonderful view.
Then I surveyed the rooms interior - a broken net curtain meant limited privacy. Dust everywhere (I ran my finger along a shelf - where are Bord Failte's inspectors ?!).
We decided to try to cheer ourselves up by going for a predinner drink and was met with the most dour bar staff (all girls) that I've met in a long time.
Had a meal in the restaurant and although the food was delicious - the portions were abysmal for the prices charged. The only saving grace for the night were the two friendly waiters that actually talked to you. On that point it was also noted that the Restaurant Manageress never once did a table check - and on top of all this ... never once was our wine glasses refilled - it was self service only.

I dont work nor am I affiliated in any way with the travel industry - I've stayed in a lot of great and expensive hotels all over Ireland ... this was the most expensive to date ... and without a doubt the worst.

Be warned !

• Liked — Lakeviews
  • Disliked — Extortionate Price, Rude Staff, poor Cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

We stayed in the Wineport for 2 nights over Easter as a gift from family. It is in a lovely location, right on a lake in the middle of nowhere. Our room had a balcony looking onto the lake (as do all the rooms I think) and it was a very peaceful setting to get away from everything for a few days. The place doesn't have the feel of a hotel as it doesn't have the usual big lobby/reception area - but has more of a reclusive atmosphere. The staff were very polite and helpful. However, for the cost of staying here I would have expected complete luxury, and this we didn't get. The bedroom was very small with poor wardrobe space and the only place for our luggage was under the bed.The bathroom while stocked with l'Occitane products, had a tiny shower and a porthole type window into the bedroom, which flooded the room with light if someone used the bathroom at night. We had dinner one evening which was fine, but not spectacular and very expensive for what we got. I had the vegetarian ravioli for 32 euro and it was more of a starter size portion. There is no spa or pool. We had a massage in the treatment centre which was fine but expensive and certainly nothing to rave about. Another minor quibble is that the hallways were freezing and the heat was only turned on the last morning we were there. While I couldn't say there was any major fault with the Wineport, for the price (285 e per night) I would expect that litte bit extra and we certainly didn't find it. I felt we were supposed to be so impressed by the illusion of luxury that we should ignore the fact that the basics just werent in place. I consider there to be much better value luxury getaways in Ireland.

Stayed March 2008
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in the Wineport for 3 nights in January. Normally, it is quite expensive to stay here, but we got a FANTASTIC deal on the hotel's website, with 3 nights plus an evening meal.
The hotel is superb. The room size was only average, but had an impressive bathroom, with heated floors, bathtub, walk-in shower & large mirror. Complimentary Jameson whiskey on arrival, very comfy bed. Staff are extremely pleasant & helpful. There is a large balcony overlooking the lake, on which the hotel is situated on a lake, with absolutely stunning views. The location is remote enough, so no noise disturbance. Perfect location for walks/cycles around the lake, and you can hire a boat. Although remote, the hotel is 2 minute drive from the town of Glasson, which is nice for some pubgrub, and only about 10 minutes drive from the town of Athlone, which is ample for shopping trips.
The highlight of the trip was the evening meal in the restaurant. I have NEVER had such a high standard meal, and was in utter disbelief that this was included in the price. I would have expected to pay €200 (per person) for the meal alone. It was amazing, and service was excellent.
Unfortunately we never got to experience the spa facilities or the hot tub!

I have also been at a wedding in the Wineport. The restaurant was decorated in fairy lights and the room was magical. The ambience was just beautiful, right beside the lake.
In summary: Cannot wait to go back!!!

• Liked — The fabulous restaurant
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wineport Lodge? Share your experiences!