“Amazing Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Athlone
dublin
“Amazing Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Everything was just perfect – the rooms, the leisure centre, location, views etc. You can get anything you want for breakfast – all options were available: Full Irish, cheeses, ham, fruit, scones etc. I wish I could stay longer – it was part of work trip & we had to leave early in the morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
I really appreciate your feedback in relation to your stay with us he at the Hodson Bay Hotel and I understand that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and if you don't mid I would like to focus in on one of the points you made in particular and that was breakfast. I am delighted that you mentioned it as we have in our Hotel and in our two sister properties pay a lot of attention in the preparation and sourcing of all our products and its fantastic to see you have enjoyed the fruits of our labour. If you are ever look at returning please don't hesitate to contact me so I get the opportunity to thank you in person. Kind Regards

881 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Polish first
Nenagh, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed here for my mothers birthday.From reservation staff to check-in,to spa staff and everyone we encountered,the service could not have been better.
The swimming pool is really lovely with generous windows flooding the pool area with a wonderful view of lough ree.
We stayed in retreat rooms and the beds are very comfortable and the area is very quiet-despite the hotel being busy.
Thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. I would like to thank you and your family for choosing The Hodson Bay Hotel for your Mother’s birthday celebrations and I was thrilled to hear everyone enjoyed their stay.

We feel very fortunate to have been so busy and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty to the hotel.

It was lovely to read that you appreciated the views and scenery around the hotel. We feel very privileged to have this natural waterside location just outside our door and the area itself is a wonderful nature reserve.

We would be honored to welcome you all back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet with you and your family in person and thank you for your valued custom and your lovely review.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just back from a short break at the Hodson Bay Hotel in Athlone. I would recommend the Spa to anyone who is considering a spa break - probably the best spa I have been to. The swimming pool is magnificent with lovely jacuzzi etc, steam room and sauna room in both the spa and pool area. The food and wine was also very good. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was great to hear that you found our in-house facilities of a high standard and I’m glad you got the opportunity to avail of these during your stay. I will pass on your kind words to the team as its great for staff morale to get such lovely feedback.

We would love to welcome you and your friends back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person.

Cork, Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have just returned from our fourth visit to the Hodson Bay Hotel in Athlone. That in itself says something about the hotel but this weekend in particular they pulled out all the 'stops' to make it one of the best weekends we have ever had away. We travelled there and met my sister and her husband for a celebration of her 50th birthday. The four of us stayed for two nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal which was Saturday November 23rd. On Saturday their two grown up children came down for one nights bed and breakfast and dinner on Saturday night to join us all. Firstly we had booked it for the weekend of 15th to 17th November but my niece was graduating that weekend so I rang the hotel to ask if we could book the following weekend instead. The very helpful staff member I was dealing with said no problem. I had asked for nice rooms as it was a special occasion and asked for rooms with a river view if possible. The rooms were out of this world. Two full walls of each of our bedrooms were fully glass with wall to wall windows and we had stunning views of the river. The rooms were huge with a really large bathroom including a Jacuzzi bath and a fantastic large shower. As a gesture the hotel had a tray of sweets in both of our rooms on arrival on Friday night. Every single thing was pure luxury from the stunning views. large television, gorgeous comfortable bed and lovely décor. I should mention that these upgraded rooms were complimentary just as a thank you from the hotel for our custom. Saturday morning my sister and I had gorgeous facials done at the luxurious spa complete with lovely reception area friendly beauticians and the 'piece de resistance' which was the relaxing lounge where we went after our treatment. This boasted leather recliners with I pods attached so we could listen to music and also complimentary fruit and cereals. The leisure centre is huge and very well equipped. The dinner on Saturday night was gorgeous with lots of choice and very nice waiting staff. Overall I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough for the care they take in making sure all their clients are well looked after and those extra 'special touches' they laid on for us. We will all be back next year without a shadow of a doubt. Pure class !

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river. Watching the dawn rising over the river Shannon is a magica...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel and may I also take this opportunity to thank you for your repeat and valued custom.

It was lovely to read that you found our staff so helpful and friendly. We feel very privileged to have such diligent and hardworking staff as part of the team. I will most definitely pass on your kind words as its comments such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough, economic and testing times. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I was delighted to see that you got the opportunity to avail of some of our in house facilities during your stay. We host many indoor & outdoor activities and we are constantly looking at ways to improve to meet all our guest’s needs.

We would love to see you both back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact me as I would like to thank you in person for your review and valued custom.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed here as part of a round trip in Ireland. Went over for a family wedding and needed to get away for a rest.
They, along with other hotels in Ireland have a "Golden Age" package which provides a cheaper deal for those of us who are retired. E139 per person for two nights DBB. We stayed in a suite, No. 644, which was incredible.
Huge bed, bathroom with Jacuzzi bath and a walk-in shower.
The room was at the end of a corridor and had two window walls each of which had floor to ceiling glass and gave views onto Lough Righ; superb.

Breakfast was buffet style in the Octagon restaurant; all the usual fruit, juice, pastries etc, hot buffet with any thing you could think of . Eggs cooked to order, coffee and toast brought to your table.
A la carte dinner in the main restaurant. Food excellent, apart from the chef adding ratatouille to every main course whether you wanted it or not!
Stand-out restaurant staff were Michael Dolan, restaurant manager, and Jana, a waitress who really wanted to ensure that you got what you wanted.

The hotel had wine tasting events which were educational as well as enjoyable.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked into Hodson's Bay on the return leg of our trip, this time for three nights DBB at a cost of E199pp. Managed to get the same room so were very happy. Greeted like old friends in the hotel and restaurant.

Due to our return ferry being cancelled (see earlier post re Lastra Farm) we needed to stay at the hotel for as long as possible. Mrs K. talked to reception who said that the room wasn't needed so we could keep it until 15.00 free of charge.

We decided that we would have a bar meal at lunchtime to set us up for the trip back to Dublin Port. The roast of the day was lamb, and the lady serving carved off two slices about the size of my hand and nearly an inch thick. My wife said she would share mine, knowing that I would never manage all the meat and veg piled on the plate so the lady serving asked if we wanted more on the plate! We couldn't finish the plateful so got a napkin and took the rest of the meat with us for the journey.

Stays at the hotel also included vouchers for a trip up the lake and along the Shannon. Well worth it but we needed our warm coats as it was a bit breezy.

Great hotel, great staff, great value for money.

Room Tip: Try for room 644
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely words on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to hear that you had such a memorable time here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have had your custom.

I was delighted to read that the customer service you received from start to finish was of such a high standard and that all your needs were accommodated. I will pass on your kind words to Michael Dolan, our Restaurant Manager, to Jana and to the rest of the Management Team. Your positive feedback will boost our staff morale, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

It was also fantastic to see that you and your partner got the opportunity to avail of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We are constantly looking at ways to improve and meet our guests’ needs and our activities are always under review.

Finally, I would like to say we would be honored to see you back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you both in person and thank you sincerely for your valued custom and your feedback.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Hudson bay is fantastic, the service was perfect, staff were so helpful and the atmospher was very positive. I would recomend any company to use this hotel for events they have planned. Such professional employees. Thanks a million - we will definetly be back in the future

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words on Trip Advisor. It was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Hodson Bay Hotel and that everything to of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis.

It was great to see that our standard of customer service throughout the hotel was ‘perfect’ and I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities. It’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough times.

We would be honored to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you do decide to return as I would feel very privileged to meet you and thank you in person for your kind words.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Spent New Years Eve at the Hodson Bay with all my family. What can I say but great. Food and service was excellent. Entertainment in the ballroom was A1. Breakfast the next morning was delicious. Left it too late for this year but will be back for next year cause will be booking early.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was heartening to hear that everything was to the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis and your feedback is greatly appreciated. I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the rest of team. Feedback such as yours boosts staff morale and enthusiasm especially in these tough times.

We would be delighted to see you return to the hotel for next years, ‘New Year’ celebrations. Please make sure to contact me on return as I would love to meet you in person and thank you for your valued custom and your kind words.

Timothy Hayes

Been to Hodson Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!