“Best hotel we have stayed at in Ireland” 5 of 5 stars

€79 (EUR)
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“Best hotel we have stayed at in Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed here as part of a round trip in Ireland. Went over for a family wedding and needed to get away for a rest.
They, along with other hotels in Ireland have a "Golden Age" package which provides a cheaper deal for those of us who are retired. E139 per person for two nights DBB. We stayed in a suite, No. 644, which was incredible.
Huge bed, bathroom with Jacuzzi bath and a walk-in shower.
The room was at the end of a corridor and had two window walls each of which had floor to ceiling glass and gave views onto Lough Righ; superb.

Breakfast was buffet style in the Octagon restaurant; all the usual fruit, juice, pastries etc, hot buffet with any thing you could think of . Eggs cooked to order, coffee and toast brought to your table.
A la carte dinner in the main restaurant. Food excellent, apart from the chef adding ratatouille to every main course whether you wanted it or not!
Stand-out restaurant staff were Michael Dolan, restaurant manager, and Jana, a waitress who really wanted to ensure that you got what you wanted.

The hotel had wine tasting events which were educational as well as enjoyable.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked into Hodson's Bay on the return leg of our trip, this time for three nights DBB at a cost of E199pp. Managed to get the same room so were very happy. Greeted like old friends in the hotel and restaurant.

Due to our return ferry being cancelled (see earlier post re Lastra Farm) we needed to stay at the hotel for as long as possible. Mrs K. talked to reception who said that the room wasn't needed so we could keep it until 15.00 free of charge.

We decided that we would have a bar meal at lunchtime to set us up for the trip back to Dublin Port. The roast of the day was lamb, and the lady serving carved off two slices about the size of my hand and nearly an inch thick. My wife said she would share mine, knowing that I would never manage all the meat and veg piled on the plate so the lady serving asked if we wanted more on the plate! We couldn't finish the plateful so got a napkin and took the rest of the meat with us for the journey.

Stays at the hotel also included vouchers for a trip up the lake and along the Shannon. Well worth it but we needed our warm coats as it was a bit breezy.

Great hotel, great staff, great value for money.

Room Tip: Try for room 644
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for your lovely words on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to hear that you had such a memorable time here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have had your custom.

I was delighted to read that the customer service you received from start to finish was of such a high standard and that all your needs were accommodated. I will pass on your kind words to Michael Dolan, our Restaurant Manager, to Jana and to the rest of the Management Team. Your positive feedback will boost our staff morale, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

It was also fantastic to see that you and your partner got the opportunity to avail of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We are constantly looking at ways to improve and meet our guests’ needs and our activities are always under review.

Finally, I would like to say we would be honored to see you back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you both in person and thank you sincerely for your valued custom and your feedback.

Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Hudson bay is fantastic, the service was perfect, staff were so helpful and the atmospher was very positive. I would recomend any company to use this hotel for events they have planned. Such professional employees. Thanks a million - we will definetly be back in the future

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words on Trip Advisor. It was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Hodson Bay Hotel and that everything to of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis.

It was great to see that our standard of customer service throughout the hotel was ‘perfect’ and I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities. It’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough times.

We would be honored to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you do decide to return as I would feel very privileged to meet you and thank you in person for your kind words.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Spent New Years Eve at the Hodson Bay with all my family. What can I say but great. Food and service was excellent. Entertainment in the ballroom was A1. Breakfast the next morning was delicious. Left it too late for this year but will be back for next year cause will be booking early.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was heartening to hear that everything was to the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis and your feedback is greatly appreciated. I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the rest of team. Feedback such as yours boosts staff morale and enthusiasm especially in these tough times.

We would be delighted to see you return to the hotel for next years, ‘New Year’ celebrations. Please make sure to contact me on return as I would love to meet you in person and thank you for your valued custom and your kind words.

Athlone, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I had our wedding here in October and all I can say is the staff were fantastic and out of their way and more to make sure we, and our guests were well looked after.

Every little detail for our wedding was perfect, from the drinks reception to the meal, the set-up in the ballroom would have made a grown man cry, it was just perfect! With a very nicely landscaped private garden for the wedding party right outside the ballroom, our guests could come and go as they pleased but never be too far from the party! The bar staff were excellent, always seemed to be one there when you needed one, and never had to wait around to order a pint.

Every single one of the staff were 100% on top of everything to make our day go smoothly for us and our guests.

We stayed in the penthouse, and it was also amazing with some of the best view across the lakes I have ever seen.

The jacuzzi in our en-suite was a great way to help shake off a hangover in the morning.

I could go on for hours writing about how great the Hodson Bay was, and how they made everything run like clockwork so we could enjoy our wedding without having to worry about anything going wrong.

For a 4 star hotel, we got 5+ star service. Will definitely be recommending and booking in again in the new year for a break and some spa treatments for myself and my wife.

Thank you Hodson Bay Hotel, your efforts will not be forgotten!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was over the moon to hear that you enjoyed your wedding celebrations here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have shared in this momentous occasion with you both.

It was fantastic to hear that the customer service you received from start to finish was of such a high standard. We feel very fortunate to have such hardworking and diligent staff as part of our team and I was delighted to hear that all your needs were accommodated. I will make sure to relay your kind words to the rest of the team as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the Management Team, I would like to thank you for your review and please god we have the privilege of welcoming you back in the near future. Until then, we wish you and your wife health and happiness in your new life together.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in late October. The location is good, very peaceful on the lake. You would definitely need transport as it is a couple of miles from Athlone. We booked an upgrade to a lake view room which barely had a view of the lake but a great view of the roof of the spa and Gym. Our room had connecting doors and unfortunately the people next door were very loud especially after coming back from the bar at 1pm. Breakfast was buffet style and even though it was very busy the staff coped very well. The breakfast itself was good, could not fault it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. So overall a pleasant stay but not a 4 star.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there were many positive aspects to your stay, I was disappointed to hear that your room was not to your satisfaction. It was very unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room or offered you some form of recompense for any anxiety caused. Customer care and satisfaction is of utmost importance to us here in the hotel hence the reason we get a lot of repeat and regular guests.

I was however, delighted to hear that your overall stay was a pleasant one and that you found our food and our staff to be of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis. I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the rest of the team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

We would love to see you and your family return to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your room is a more suitable one.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

59 of us visited the Hodson Bay for a reunion weekend last week. From the first time I contacted the hotel in May to begin organising the weekend, they were extremely supportive and helpful. We were given a great value deal, which included a private dining room on the Saturday night (where the kids could run around without disturbing anyone) and a golf tournament for those interested.

It was obviously a very busy weekend at the hotel, but a lot of the family commented on how friendly and accommodating all of the staff were. I've received a number of texts and emails from people saying how much they enjoyed it.

We also got great help from the staff on the front desk in picking a location for the family photo (not an easy task for 59 people, 13 of whom are 6 or under).

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the top (3rd) floor overlooking the lakee.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. I would like to thank you and your family for choosing The Hodson Bay Hotel for your family reunion.

We feel very fortunate to have been so busy and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition of their hard work and loyalty to the hotel. We are blessed to have such a fantastic team on board and your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would be honored to meet you all in person.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed in the Hodson Bay Hotel last weekend 8th - 10th November 2013. I was part of a group of 90 people. It is a number of years since I visited this hotel and was not too sure how things might have changed here. I should not have had any worries. We had a fantastic weekend!!! From check-in until check-out I could not fault the hotel in any way. The hotel facilities, staff and food were all excellent.

I also availed of the Free Wine Tasting on Saturday, this proved to be great fun and very informative.

We had Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in the hotel and the quality, presentation and choice of food was all excellent. I have to comment particularly on the breakfast, I have never before tasted fresh fruit SO FRESH from a hotel breakfast buffet.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Hodson Bay Hotel to anyone. My advice is ENJOY EVERY MINUTE

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

It was fantastic to read that you found our hotel facilities, staff and food ‘excellent’. I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough times, economic and challenging times. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I would like to say that we would be honored to welcome you back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you in person and thank you sincerely for your valued custom and your feedback.

Timothy Hayes

Been to Hodson Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!