“Not what we had expected..” 3 of 5 stars

€79 (EUR)
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sligo, Ireland
“Not what we had expected..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Location and facilities were lovely but hotel good definately make improvements in a lot of areas. The bar cld do with some air conditioning when ther is a crowd. We had lunch which wasnt very enjoyable, the place ws so stuffy and warm and it wasnt even an exceptionally hot day outside. We were in the family side of the hotel as we were told!! It ws the older part of the hotel but that ws no excuse for the room. It didnt give a very good first impression of the hotel. The walls were all stained and dirty with paint falling off. We were there for a weekend and had expected more than this for the price. Over all not what we had expected from this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there were many positive aspects to your stay, I was disappointed to hear that you did not find your room to your liking.

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused. It was unfortunate that I did not get to speak to your prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room. I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we expect here at the hotel. We currently have a painter on-site and I can assure you this matter will be rectified. Feedback such as yours is vital to the success of any business and is greatly appreciated.

We would feel honored to welcome you back to the hotel. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me and perhaps I could offer you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Polish first
Tullylease, Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

this hotel offers excellent value and service would definitely recommend it. We stayed in family room and the hotel has plenty to offer pity the kids club doesn't start till end of june but the pool was great and there are lots of activities nearby

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is in fact a family run business. We are very central to lots of family amenities as well as hosting many indoor activities to keep both young and old entertained.

We would love to see you all back at the hotel in the near future where hopefully your children get the chance to experience our Kids Club. Our camp is fully supervised which gives Mum & Dad can get the chance to relax and unwind. If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA.

Ballyclare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Spectacular hotel in spectacular setting on the banks of Lough Ree just outside Athlone. Staff are very friendly and efficient, wonderful leisure centre with hydrotherapy section, spacious and well-equipped rooms with views over the lough. There is a comprehensive list of "activities" laid on for guests FOC, such as whiskey tasting, wine tasting, spa sampling etc. My only criticism (and its a small one) is that I would prefer a proper bar menu rather than just a carvery for more eating options. For anyone wanting a break in stunning surroundings with plenty to do this is the place to go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was fantastic to see that you got the opportunity to avail of many of our in-house facilities during your stay and that you appreciated the beauty of our location, for which we are very privileged. The points you have raised will be highlighted and discussed at our next Management meeting as we are constantly looking at ways to improve and strive for excellence. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and admired.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do return please feel free to contact me as I would like the opportunity to meet with you and thank you in person for your feedback and custom.

Waterford, Waterford, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Arrived at the hotel late and upon checking in my room wasn't ready. The girl on reception was apologetic but is it acceptable for a room not to be ready at half eight in the evening? Ate in the bar area the next evening and it was hugely disappointing to say the least. Waited almost 20 minutes for my order to be taken and then 40 minutes for my order, even then it was almost given to another couple seated at the table beside mine. The food was bland and unappetising and poor value for money. The so-called lake view was of the roof of the older part of the hotel but a view is not something that is essential. Air-conditioning was of the manual variety. In other words, you open a window and suffer accordingly. The pool area looks tired and shabby and could do with an over-haul. The guy on the reception in the pool could do with a few lessons in being friendly. It couldn't hurt to appear interested and courteous to guests. Breakfast was not brilliant either. I couldn't fault it but I wouldn't call it award-winning. The hotel really could do with upping its standards in this respect. For the hotel to call itself a four-star hotel, it would really have to do better than what I experienced during my stay. Relying on repeat business from people attending meetings is simply not good enough for the hotel to lurch along as it does. I will say one thing in its favour. There has been a marginal improvement in its standards since I stayed this time last year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. I was extremely disappointed to read of the shortcomings you received during your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused and I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis. If we treated all our guests like this we would not have the privilege to be so busy. It was also unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room.

I will raise your valid criticisms at our next Management meeting. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and respected as it’s only through comments such as yours that we can continue to strive and aim for excellence.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your stay is a more enjoyable one.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

All in all we had a delightful 2 night break at the Hodson Bay. The food was great and the service was very good. We had a lovely room in the new section and as we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary we received free wine, chocolates and a bowl of fruit in the room. The only thing that spoilt our stay was the unbearable heat in the room and also in the corridor. We repeatedly complained but were told that the air conditioning was on a timer and controlled from reception. We were not able to control it from the room. We tried opening the windows but still the heat was oppressive. Consequently we were unable to sleep. Unfortunately what should have been an unforgettable anniversary was spoilt by the heat in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your 25th wedding anniversary celebrations here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have shared in this special occasion with you.

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused with regards the excessive heat in your room. It was unfortunate that I did not get to speak with you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have offered you a move to a more suitable room or some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill. I can assure you that customer care and satisfaction is of utmost importance to us here at the hotel and I will raise your concerns at our next Management meeting.

On a positive note, I was really happy to hear that everything else throughout your stay was to the high standard we expect and achieve here on a consistent basis and I will pass on your kind words to the team.

We would love to see you both back at the hotel in the near future. If you do wish to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your room is a more comfortable one.

Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I ordered vegetsrian option in bar carvery at 7.30 p.m. I also ordered a jug of water and fresh fruit salad.Vegetarian option was potato rosti and i chose veg and potato as sides.The meal was inedible.Rosti was cold and tasteless as was the limp potato and veg. i was brought a glass of water. i complained about the main course and i was given a very generous helping of dessert. Waiter came over with a refund for the main course which I appreciated.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. I was very disappointed to read of your recent dining experience here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused and I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis, however there was an obvious lapse in standards on this occasion.

I am glad the matter was dealt with efficiently and that you got a full refund for your main course. I hope this did not affect your overall opinion of the hotel. We would be delighted if you would return and offer us the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. Please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA on your return.

Mornington, Meath, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Arrived to busy reception, we were dealt with promptly. We were given all relevant information in relation to where our room was and what time was breakfast etc. Included in our package was a spa treatment, which i was not expecting much. Our room was clean and bigger than expected. The surrondings of the hotel and lovely and it is very near Athlone and shopping there is good too. Later i went to my spa treatment, the surroundings were very luxurious, the smell very inviting, the staff very friendly. i was put into a robe and slippers and sent to a relaxing area, i felt very important. I had a foot and leg treatment which lasted just over half and hour, it was very very good and i enjoyed it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

We feel very privileged to have been so busy and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty to the hotel.

We do feel very lucky for our location, being so accessible from Athlone town and all parts of the country, being right in the heart of Ireland and hence one of the reasons we have a lot of repeat and regular guests.

We would love to see you both back at the hotel in the near future. Please make sure to contact me if you do return as I would love to get the opportunity to meet with you in person.

Timothy Hayes

Been to Hodson Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!