“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
ireland
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night recently following a wedding and I have to say we were both disappointed in this hotel. Hotel grounds are lovely ,beautiful view out on to the water but unfortunately that's the only nice view we had.Our room was a double room on the first floor of the main and I presume older part of the hotel.The room was a real let down,very tired looking ,dirty marks on walls,very cramped and almost unbearably too warm,even with the window open.
The room had a double and single bed but this meant there was very little space even between beds to walk around the room(we had not requested two beds) it would have been better to have just one larger double bed and forget about the single.The room was simply too small for both.
Bathroom was again very cramped.It was an adjoining room,the door was locked obviously between our room and the people next door but it was most unsettling to have our neighbours try to open this door in the small hours of the night!
We ordered breakfast to our room the following morning,which was nice but with only a tiny table in the room,was a balancing act to eat same to say the least.
I had checked in earlier in the day but didn't actually see the room until after 11 pm that night as we were at a wedding,otherwise I would have requested a change.I also found on both occasions at the front desk,both checking in & out,there seemed to be no particular order,people were skipping the queue at the front desk which is one of my pet peeves.
I see from this site people seem to have mostly good things to say about this hotel& pictures of their rooms are completely at odds to the room we were given,perhaps we were unlucky?I don't know but I do know I will not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there were positive aspects to your stay, you have however highlighted some areas for concern.

It is extremely unfortunate that I did not get to speak with you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have offered you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill. Customer care and satisfaction is of utmost importance and I was very disappointed to hear of your experience. I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis and if it was we would not have the privilege to welcome back so many repeat and regular guests.

We would love to welcome you both back to the hotel and afford us the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. If you do wish to return, I would ask that you contact myself or my PA so we can make the necessary arrangements for you and to ensure your room is a more suitable one.

Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Polish first
Traveller
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding. The room was clean and had plenty of space. The bathroom was adequate. All in all value for the price paid. Would definitely recommend it. Breakfast was busy, so we were diverted to another restaurant to have our breakfast and it was very pleasant with a hot buffet and continental buffet also. Good coffee too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

Customer care and satisfaction is of utmost importance to us here in the hotel and I was delighted to read that you recommend us so highly. We feel very privileged to have been so busy to date and we get a lot of repeat and regular guests.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact me on your return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Both myself and my wife recently stayed in the hodson bay hotel on our 1st anniversary. We got married here a year ago and a great wedding reception we got but I didn't expect the welcome back we got. My wife went to the spa while I went golfing. From what she told me pitty I didn't go to. It's the best hotel spa u will find anywhere in this country. Later we went to one of there daily activities wine tasting by Andre. This guy is good. I'm restaurant manager myself but wow did he show me a thing or two. Later that night we went for dinner and looked after very well by Brendan "supervisor" and Jana. The general manager remembers our wedding from year ago which was impressive concidering the hotel does alot of weddings. "Maybe the WWE thyme was memorable". Any how I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone. A fantastic wedding met by a fantastic 1st anniversary stay.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was over the moon to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary celebrations here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have shared in this momentous occasion with you both.

It was fantastic to hear that your wife enjoyed our Spa facilities and I will pass on your kind words to Emer Heavin, our Spa Manager. I will also pass on your kind words to Brendan, Jana and Andre in our Restaurant. Andre is actually an award winning Sommelier. We feel very lucky to have such a fantastic team on board and it boosts staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the Management Team, I would like to thank you for your review and your valued custom and please god we have the privilege of welcoming you back for your 2nd Wedding Anniversary. Until then, we wish you and your wife health and happiness in your new life together.

ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2nights bb+1d with 2 kids .

Good points: great location good value very friendly staff good breakfast great meal especially for vegetarians loads to see and do

Bad points: they cud do with little playground outside for small kids as road not safe and lawns at front too small. Rooms little dated

Overall enjoyed the stay

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was really great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us here in The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was delighted to see that you found us good value for money. We understand how competitive and tough times are and we try our best to reflect this in our pricing structure. I will endeavor to pass on your constructive feedback at our next Management meeting. Your comments are greatly appreciated and valued.

We would love to see you all return to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please feel free to contact me on your return.

Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Great hotel to stay at if your on a golf break or family holiday. Staff very helpful and warm. Hotel has leisure centre and treatment rooms which are excellent. There is lots to do in the local area. Some great golf course in the area and if your a golfer a visit to Glasson Golf Club in a must. Also a boat trip around the lake is well worth doing with the family.
Try out the bar food in the hotel(self service) its good value for money. Service for drinks in the Bar can be a bit slow.

Room Tip: Stay in the room with a view over the lake. Well worth paying the extra
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was delightful to read that you enjoyed hotel’s facilities and location. We feel very privileged to have this natural waterside location just outside our door and the area itself is a wonderful nature reserve. I will pass on your kind words to ‘Viking Mike’ as he is known locally. Mike operates boat tours from the hotel to the castle right in the heart of town. The boat departs daily and timetables can be obtained from the main reception desk area.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the service in our bar area and I will discuss this with our Bar Manager, Ms Roisin Ryan. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and respected.

We would love to welcome to back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return please feel free to make contact with me as I would like to get the opportunity to meet with you in person.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We recently visited this hotel with friends on a break. We had a wonderful time despite the bad weather. This didn't matter as the facilities indoors were amazing. The lovely conservatory seating areas were so relaxing.
The food was excellent, served by a very friendly and efficient team.
Well done to Tim Hayes and his team......we will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you have such a wonderful time during your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was nice to see that the bad weather did not dampen your experience and that you enjoyed the many facilities we have to offer here at the hotel. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the Management Team and I will make sure to display your kind words in our team’s facilities as its important for staff morale, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

We would feel very privileged to welcome you back to the hotel in the future. Please feel free to contact me on your return as I would love to thank you in person for your fantastic review and your valued custom.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My birthday was celebrated at this Hotel with My husband and 3 children on a one night stay over. We had a lovely lunch in the bar/lounge area before having a leisurely walk by the lake followed by the use of the leisure facilities in which it suited all the family with swimming ,Jacuzzi, hydro pool all in the one area. The inter-connecting rooms were spotlessly clean with bathrooms being of the same standard. The restaurant had a well lit warm ambience to it with nicely set tables and good service and friendliness from the staff before being served a very appetising 3 course meal we ordered for the five of us, followed by a relaxing drink in the lounge and lobby area .The hotel was very busy but we still felt looked after and enjoyed the experience of staying for one night. The weather was a helpful factor in enjoying the outdoors at the lake and we finished off the next morning with a lovely breakfast choice in the Octagon lake view room. For the photographer, reader, and swimming fans in our family it was the ideal location and we will definitely return. Thank you for the lovely stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your birthday celebrations here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I see that you and your family got the opportunity to avail of many of our in house facilities during your stay. We take great pride on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is actually a family run business. It was lovely to hear that you found the food during your stay to of such a high standard and I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to Mr. Rory Gabriel, our Executive Head Chef. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as a lot of hard work goes into sourcing local supplier and constantly reviewing our menus and cooking methods.

We would love to see you all return to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me on your return.

Timothy Hayes

Been to Hodson Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!