“Hodson Bay Hotel Athlone” 5 of 5 stars

Hodson Bay Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hodson Bay, Athlone, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Athlone
Dublin Ireland
“Hodson Bay Hotel Athlone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 10th.to 12th.Nov 2012.
The occassion my sons wedding,wow from the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome.The reception were very efficient and checked everyone in a very short time.
ON to food service it was of a high standard and optimal quality. Waiting staff did not impose on guests until all food was consumed.At this point I would like to mention Paval who made everything happen from our arrival to arranging the table for family dinner the following night.
Then there was our room,large panaramic window,spacious bathroom and large comfortable bed.All in all a fab experience and we will return for a longer stay

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your very kind words on Trip Advisor. We feel very privileged to have shared in this special occasion and we hope you have many happy memories for years to come.

I was delighted to read that from arrival to departure you were made feel welcome by our team.
I will pass on your kind words to the relevant departments and to Pawel our Guest Relations Manager for their hard work and dedication. This is the high level of customer service we expect here on a consistent basis and we are lucky to have such a fantastic team on board.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. On behalf of myself and the management team, please pass on my congratulations once more to your son and his new bride and we look forward to welcoming them back next year for their complimentary anniversary stay.

879 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I brought a group of over 50's to the Hodson Bay Hotel on the 1st weekend in November. The staff, facilities and accommodation were top class. The restaurant and breakfast areas were very well staffed and the food was excellent. Every member of the group enjoyed their stay and are looking forward to a repeat visit next year.

Room Tip: Ask for the 'Retreat' area of the hotel for an excellent view of the Athlone Golf course or...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your heartening review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you and your group enjoyed your weekend break here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was delighted to hear that our staff and facilities were to the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis and that you found the food at the hotel ‘excellent’. I will pass on your kind words to the team and your kind words will be greatly appreciated. I feel it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

Please god we have the opportunity to welcome you all back next year. If you do return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person and thank you for your custom and kind words.

Birr, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just spent a night here, while on a training course. Really impressed!
The staff was really friendly, with first class, personal service. Nothing was a problem.
Lovely comfy bed, and the bathroom was immaculately clean, a rare thing in our hotels.
Not big into breakfat but this was very appetising - eggs being fried as we watched, so no overdone, dried out food. And a really tasty sausage!
Overall a wonderful experience. Well done Hodson Bay!! Restores my faith in Irish hospitality.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your one night stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was really happy to hear that you found our staff friendly, helpful and attentive. I will display your lovely words in our team’s facilities as its comments such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm and your kind words will be greatly appreciated. It was also great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast. We use local suppliers and produce and we get many compliments regarding this. I will pass on your positive feedback to Mr. Rory Gabriel, our Executive Head Chef.

Hopefully we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, either for business or pleasure. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love the opportunity to meet with you and thank you for your heartening review.

Longford, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed on the €129 b&b and free €30 voucher for the restaurant with another couple.
Overall a very enjoyable stay. The bar is good, the room is adequate and it was good value for money. Reception, bar and breakfast staff were friendly and welcoming.The food in the restaurant is very good but the service was rushed. The waiting staf were almost hovering over te table as we finished the last bite of each course and the next course was on the table within 30 seconds. We ordered a second bottle of wine which we drank very quickly as the staff were only short of setting our table for breakfast while we were sitting there. Don't know if it was beacuse we were residents and not paying cash and therefore less likely to leave a tip but all 4 of us felt the meal was let down by the hurried service. We didn't leave a tip as we felt it was not deserved or earned.
The breakfast was very good and the experience would have been 4 star but for the restaurant staff.
Would definitely stay here again but wouldn't bother with the restaurant.

Room Tip: There are smoking rooms available if required but avoid if you are a non-smoker
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel was overall an enjoyable one.

It was disappointing to read of your experience in our Restaurant and I would like to apologise profusely on behalf of the Restaurant Team. I have spoken to the Restaurant Manager, Mr. Michael Dolan and he too would like to send his apologies if you were made feel rushed during your meal. He has scheduled training with his team to prevent re-occurrences of this nature.

On a positive note, I was very pleased to hear that you found the food in the Restaurant to be of the high quality we achieve here on a consistent basis and that the staff in Reception, Bar and Breakfast were friendly and welcoming. I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the team and their manager.

It was heartening to read that you would return to the hotel and that your experience in the Restaurant did not hinder your overall view of the hotel. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you in person and perhaps offer you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here in November and had a very pleasant time.We stayed in a suite overlooking the River Shannon---it was a beautiful setting. Room was excellent as was the service, staff were plentiful and helpful. Jacuzzi was broken ---but it was no problem. Swimming pool was very well organised and policed---we had two young grandchildren with us and we felt they were made very welcome. Breakfast was varied and plentiful--Dinner was very good but we thought there could have been more choice. Would definitely stay here again but would insist on staying in the new part rather than the old where my daughter and her children stayed----room and corridors were very jaded looking and had a bad smell of smoke. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear that you had a pleasant time during your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.I was disappointed to read that you found your room smelled of smoke.

I have spoken to our Accommodation Manager and he has scheduled training for all his team to prevent this happening in the future. I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your room and the corridors and I will discuss this at our next Maintenance meeting. It’s only through comments such as yours that we can continue to strive for excellence.

On a positive note, I was delighted to hear that you liked you room and the views over looking Lough Ree. We feel very privileged to have this natural waterside location just outside our door. It was great to see that your grandchildren got the opportunity to avail of our leisure facilities. We host a wide range of activities for both young and old and we are constantly reviewing these to suit all our guest needs. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is a family run business.

We would love to see you and your family back at the hotel in the near future. If you do return, please feel free to contact me as I would be honored to shake your hand and thank you for your feedback and your lovely review.

Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed overnight at Hodgon Bay Hotel, Athlone as I was attending family funeral. We booked three rooms in total - two doubles and a twin. We also have one year child in the party. Our experience of the hotel was mixed. The setting for the hotel on the lake shore is lovely, the breakfast was superb but the rooms were quite small and the bar carvery food was very average. In addiition, we went to bed at 11 pm when music started-up until 12:30 - very noisy in first floor rooms but those to side / rear were not affected. We were not advised in advance of any potential noise - other hotels we previously advised onf possible noise, which is fine as you can then choose to stay or not.

Hotel was very busy with a mix of weedings, weekend guests and conferences. There was even a conference of 150 nuns -never saw so many in one place before. Overall, experience of this hotel was average particularly for the Eur 130 per room paid. Note, we first tried to book the Sheraton Athlone Hotel, but it was full and they referred us to its partner hotel - Hodgon Bay Hotel.

Room Tip: First floor room at front of hotel was very noisy from music below.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there were mixed feelings regarding your stay, you have highlighted some areas for concern.

I would like to apologise profusely for any disruption caused to you and your family especially during this sensitive time. I would also like to offer you and your family my condolences for your sad loss. This was an over-sight on our behalf and it’s very unfortunate I was not made aware of this during your stay as perhaps we could have done something more to accommodate you. I can assure you this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis.

If you are ever in the area again, please call to see me as I would like to apologise in person for this regrettable experience and perhaps offer you some form of recompense for any anxiety caused. My thoughts are with you and your family during this sad time.

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Lovely location right on the water and a great pool. Fantastic well run kids club who arranged games, food and films from 10-1 and 6-11 meaning parents get a rare chance to have a meal together. the food is very good and the wine tastings were very informative and much enjoyed.

The only small negatives would be that the hotel is very warm and the rooms on the small side for families. We will definitely be back, and this coming from someone who tends not to revisit places.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you and your family enjoyed you stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you and your family got the opportunity to avail of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We are an award winning family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is a family run business. As a father of three myself, I understand the importance of having some time alone as a couple and our kids camp gives you the opportunity to do exactly this. It was great to see you adults also got the opportunity to avail of some of activities. We host many indoor and outdoor activities and these are constantly under review to cater for all our guests needs.

We are delighted that you are planning to re-visit the hotel. If you do return please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you and your family in person and thank you for your repeat business and your kind words.

Timothy Hayes

Been to Hodson Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!