“Childhood Memories” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Childhood Memories”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

When I was a child, I think I was seven or eight, my mother and auntie brought my older cousin (by two years) and myself down to the Hodson Bay Hotel in Athlone for a weekend. I only have good memories of the hotel and although, I can’t remember everything, I still think about it trip. The staff members were very pleasant and the food was delicious (from what I can remember) even though I predominantly chips or spaghetti. The swimming pool was big and the arcade room which only had a pac man machine and a pool table was still enough to keep my cousin and myself entertained. The rooms were quite spacious and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay and that you have treasured some happy childhood memories from your visit to The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was great to hear that you got the opportunity to avail of many of the facilities on offer. We are a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is a family run business. We host a wide variety of activities for guests both young and old and we are renowned for our Kids Club. This caters for tiny tots aged 0-4 years, children aged 4-12 years and we also have a teenagers room to keep the older kids entertained. All activities are supervised and this gives the adults some deserved ‘alone time’.

We would feel very privileged to welcome you back to the hotel. If you decide to return, please contact me as I would love to meet you and your family in person and thank you for your heartening review.

Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Polish first
Donegal Town, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We are just back from a 2 Night Break from Athlone. We had a very smooth check in and all was very fast and efficient. We made our way to the Retreat Suite Room. We decided to upgrade and it was lovely big huge cosy bed and a magnificent panoramic view. We did find the power in the shower was terrible so maybe this would need to be looked at.
We decided to Head to the Restaurant the first evening and we were not disappointed the food and service was brilliant. Linda our waitress was very helpful and friendly !!
The Breakfast was just amazing, lots of variety and caters for all diets !! We went into the City shopping for the Day and came back to find our room had not been serviced which was disappointing. We had to call to get fresh towels to the Room. Later that evening we ate in the Bar and it was just ok nothing spectacular. We did also miss the small touches like bottles of water, robes et.. when you upgrade to a suite but overall lovely hotel and we will be returning

Have to say Sinead was a Gem in Reservations, she couldn’t have done anymore to help in our booking.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Retreat Suite Rooms Magnificent !!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. It was heartening to hear you that you enjoyed your short stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I would like to thank you for your feedback. The fact that your room was not serviced was unacceptable. I have spoken to our Accommodation Manager and he too would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

On a positive note, I was over the moon to hear that you found our food, staff and room to be of the high standard we achieve here on a consistent basis. I will pass on your kind words to Linda and Sinead and we feel very privileged to have staff such as them on our team.

Please god we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA so we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your stay is an enjoyable one.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here 11 times over the past 5 years. First time back in 12 months and think it has lost some of it's gloss. Fantastic price (though you need to be ready to go through every line at check out as they have a wee penchant for getting their figures wrong), super food, lovely ambiance but most of all the Staff are wonderful. Great to see William again, even though he has moved to reservations he still made the effort to visit the Restaurant and chat with people - fabulous people skills. Missed the Welcome Back card, water in the room, etc. the little touches.

Room Tip: Retreat Rooms are really quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there were many positive aspects to your stay, I was disappointed to read that you found we were lacking somewhat on your most recent stay.

I would like to apologise profusely for any shortcomings you received upon check out and I will be discussing your feedback with our Front Office Manager. I can assure you that this is not the high standard we achieve here on a consistent basis and your feedback is greatly appreciated.On a positive note, it was great to hear that you found our food, ambiance and staff to be ‘wonderful’. I have passed on your kind words to William and he would like to thank you for your kind words and added it was a pleasure speaking with you also.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. We really value your custom and your repeat business especially in these tough times. Please feel free to contact me if you do decide to return as I would feel very privileged to welcome you back

Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here with some mature friends and it is in a beautiful location. Unfortunately we did not realise that it was more geared towards families so there were a lot of children here. Room was quite nice and tea-making facilities were provided. Location is amazing. Food was excellent too. Staff are extremely efficient and friendly. Although I did not use the Spa I have heard it is excellent. The pool was fantastic.

Room Tip: I would try stay in the new part of the hotel next time. Try get a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

You are correct in saying that we are a family orientated hotel but we do cater for various types of guests. We do have a Retreat Section, which is the newer part of the hotel and is a child free/quiet zone. We also have our Library and Winter Garden areas if you wish to escape and have some quiet time. It was great to hear that you got the opportunity to avail of some of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We host a wide variety of activities available for both young and old. I was very happy to hear that you found our food, staff and location to be of a high standard also and I will pass on your lovely words to the team.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel. If you wish to be put on our mailing list for future events or special offers, please do not hesitate to contact our Reservations team or alternatively you can contact me and I would be more than happy to speak with you. Once again, thank you for your lovely review.

IRELAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at his hotel recently for 3 nights as part of a very large group of seniors. We cannot fault in any way the staff, hotel, facilities, service of food. We had a wonderful time on what is an annual event held in different places every year. Many people on this break said it was the best one they had ever been on. Personally I was very impressed by the fact that when the bed turned out to be too soft for my back, they had the maintenance man make a board to fit and go under the mattress. I had a wonderful quality of sleep after that. The outlook over the lake was very scenic and the Viking tour proved very popular.
On a personal basis we would be happy to go to this hotel again even though we know there would not be a full aganda, the pool and leisure centre would be enough for us.

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the new part of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your very kind words on Trip Advisor. We remember you fondly and we are delighted you and your group enjoyed your 3 night stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

We were only too happy to help you get a quality nights sleep! Customer care and satisfaction is our no.1 motto and I was delighted we lived up to your expectations. I will pass on your kind words to the team as I feel it’s good for staff morale to get recognition of their hard work and dedication. I will also pass on your lovely words to ‘Viking Mike’ as he is known locally and it’s great you got the opportunity to avail of many of the facilities on offer here at the hotel.

We would love to see you all back at the hotel in the near future. If you ever decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA so we can make the necessary arrangements for you and to ensure your stay is another memorable one.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I used a Conference room in this Hotel last Friday 12th Oct. I am a frequent user of the Hotel for Business purposes. I highly recommend them. They are a very professional organisation and take great pride in providing top class service. I just got a follow up call from them asking if everything was to my satisifaction. I really appreciated that call. I also stayed in the hotel the night before and again found it to be very comfortable. The bar food was also excellent. All in all another great experience in the Hodson Bay Hotel. If you need to book a hotel in the MIdlands for Business purposes check out this hotel. Apart from anything else - it's in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your short stay and our Conference facilities here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was great to hear that you found our organisation to be professional and that our service was of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis. It is company policy to do follow up calls after meetings or events as it’s only through feedback such as your own that we can continue to strive for excellence. I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the relevant departments. This will encourage our teams performance and enthusiasm especially in these hard times.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel, either for business or pleasure. If you do return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet and thank you in person for your kind words.

Yours sincerely

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

A truely wonderful experience and pure luxury. I stayed here for two nights I enjoyed everything apart the poor bar service. The hotel its self looked lovely the rooms were very high standard of clean. The staff at breakfast were excellent and i would also advise guests to use the spa it was something of another world. Shame that the bar staff were un friendly and slightly unprofessional it was as though it was another place altogether cut of from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. While there were many positive aspects to your stay you have however highlighted some concerns that need to be addressed.

I was happy to hear that you found the standard of our rooms, food and leisure facilities to be of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis. I was disappointed to hear of the shortcomings you received from our bar staff and I can assure you this matter will be addressed as we take matters such as this quite seriously.

I would like to investigate this incident thoroughly therefore I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com to discuss the matter in greater detail.

Timothy Hayes

Been to Hodson Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!