“Excellent hotel, a great stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Room Rates from EUR69!
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Galway, Ireland
“Excellent hotel, a great stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Excellent staff, I can not praise them enough. We were given everything we could ask for even with a fully-booked weekend. Leisure centre is great with no hidden charges to see. My girlfriend availed of the spa facial, which apparently includes a massage at no extra cost. The meal I had in the L'Escale restaurant was probably the best steak I ever ate. And also a late check-out without qualm or question. Excellent, would return.

Room Tip: Lake view, less at the front, aren't really worth any extra...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Thank your for your recent review. We are delighted you both enjoyed your weekend with us. If you decide to return to the hotel, please contact me so that I get the opportunity to meet with you and thank you in person, yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Polish first
Dundalk, Louth, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We got married here in Nov, THE BEST experience of my life! The staff and management bent over back wards to ensure our day went perfect, the food was absolutely amazing, all of our guests stayed in the hotel for 4 nights and they all said they couldn't fault a thing. EVERYTHING was perfect, amazing venue for a magical wedding!

Room Tip: The suites are amazing, but all their rooms are beautifully decorated
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive review. We were delighted to be part of your special day and satisfied that both you and your guests had a memorable day. We hope to welcome you back for your First Wedding Anniversary and wish you both many years of happiness together, yours sincerely
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012 via mobile

Overall a positive experience. Very busy hotel. However there were sim negatives! Was disappointed that a full kids club doesn't operate at weekends!
We were a large group and had dinner on the second night in the main dining room. The service was terrible. It took the waitress 50 minutes to take our order? We were a group of about 10 couples. I was also very disappointed with the kids meals. For a hotel that promotes themselves as being "child friendly". I was appalled that they would serve the likes of frozen pizza and chicken nuggets to kids while they offered fine dining for adults. NOT acceptable!

• Stayed January 2012
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
We would like to thank you for your review and are delighted that overall your stay was a positive one however, you have raised some concerns that need to be addressed. We do have a Kids Menu that has a large selection of items and we also promote healthy options.It is unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you before your departure but if you do wish to return, I would ask that you contact me on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com yours sincerely
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Easy to find on the Athlone to Roscommon road with free & plentiful parking in the hotel car parks. Quick & friendly check in with a minimum of formalities.
My room was excellent, very big, very bright, very clean & comfortable & nicely heated. It had a very comfortable double bed, a single bed, 2 wardrobes, wall mounted tv, free wifi, iron & ironing board, table & chairs, dresser/workstation, full length mirror, luggage rack, safe, tea/coffee & biscuits, hairdryer, smoke alarm, air con but no mini bar.
The bathroom too, was very big. It was clean, bright & modern with a bath, large shower enclosure, fixed head shower with great pressure & plenty of hot water, shampoo & bodywash, creme soap & other toiletries, dual voltage shaving socket & plenty of towels.
I had no issues with noise in the room from either inside or outside of the hotel with the sound of the air con being the only thing audible during the night.
Served in the very pleasant L'Escale Restaurant by friendly staff, breakfast was excellent & at 07.45 in the morning the restaurant was exceptionally quiet. There was plenty to choose from with a cold buffet which included salamis, cereals, toast, breads, jams, honey, cheese, crackers, yoghurts, croissants & other pastries, fresh whole fruit, fruit slices, prunes, raisins, fruit juices, tea & coffee. The hot buffet which is ordered from the waitress included a fry, porridge & what I ordered, one of the best omelettes I've ever tasted.
I had lunch in the Waterfront Carvery which was again, a pleasant experience. There was a decent selection on offer, well cooked with generous portions & even though the restaurant was quite busy, service was quick.
I arrived too late to use the leisure centre & too tired to have dinner or to have a drink in the bar, so I can't comment on them.
Signage throughout the hotel was good & there were complimentary national daily & evening newspapers, available at reception & in the breakfast restaurant. The location is probably too far out to walk into Athlone Town but if a tranquil setting, good hotel facilities & great lake views are the order of the day, The Hodson Bay is well worth giving a try.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
We really appreciate your positive review and are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. If you return to the hotel in the future please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can thank you in person, yours sincerely
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I've just spent a weekend in the Hodson Bay Hotel and had a great time. Unfortunately the weather was awful but thankfully Athlone town has two shopping centres so I was well satisfied filling my afternoon in them while my young son attended a music workshop and my husband watched the match.

The Hotel was very child friendly having a separate games room for them. I gave them a 4 star rating as I felt the room could have been bigger for a family room. The staff were very nice especially in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. The Hotels facilities were brilliant for the kids workshop and to have a session on Friday and Saturday night. Friday nights session was held in the Library and was fantastic.

The hotel was very warm at night maybe because room small with three in it??

A very busy hotel and one I would have no hesitation in returning to. Hopefully the weather will be better and we would be able to take a walk and a trip on the bay????

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your positive comments and are delighted both you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you do return so I get the opportunity to thank you in person. Yours sincerely
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012 via mobile

Received a voucher for Christmas and were thrilled to book a night in the Hodson Bay. At check in we noticed straight away how incredibly busy the place was. We had a sandwich in the packed bar, where there were many children running around. Our room was lovely, very comfortable and en suite had a lovely shower. Couldn't fault the room. We were booked into the thermal spa which is beautiful. Very comfortable and classy. Unfortunately our fellow spa visitors were quite loud and perhaps not there to relax which was a shame. We had a gorgeous meal in the restaurant. It was however extremely busy and servers appeared to under a lot of pressure. All in all it was a nice stay but not the place to go for a quiet / relaxing couple stay. And that's fine - its a lovely family orientated hotel, so I'll be sure to bring family next time!

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for your review and we really appreciate your positive comments. We do have quieter areas in the hotel for eg our Wintergarden and Library and we also have a Retreat Section which is an adult only area. Once again, thank you and we look forward to you returning with your family. If so please do not hesitate to contact me. Yours sincerely
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012 via mobile

I received a voucher as a gift to visit the hodson bay hotel. Lovely hotel . Rooms quite spacious . Excellent food in The waterfront bar and great service from enthusiastic staff. The only problem I experienced was in the check in and out. It is too slow bearing in mind it is January and the hotel was quiet. Breakfast was delicious and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate that you took the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We have taken on board your comments and we would be delighted if you would return in the future, yours sincerely

Been to Hodson Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!