“Fabulous views” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Longford, Ireland
“Fabulous views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

Just back from a couple of day in the Hodson Bay Hotel. Myself and my partner had a fantastic time. The Hotel was busy but at the same time warm and welcoming, staff so friendly and professional. The room we stayed in was in the Retreat section and was amazing, spotlessly clean with a huge comfortable bed and floor to ceiling windows. The jaccuzzi bath was just the icing on the cake.The views from the room were fantastic and we took loads of great pictures. Dinner was faultless as were the staff and the bar was cozy with a very friendly bar man.Breakfast in bed was a real treat, hot and tasty. It set us up for the day. We had great weather and it just added to the picturesque scenery outside. I wold reccomend the Hodson Bay to all as it exceeded our expectations in every way which is often hard to do. Well done to all the staff. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2011
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive comments. We use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. I am delighted that you enjoyed your break with us, we are fortunate to be located in a beautiful setting, which can be truly appreciated during the good weather. It would have been a pleasure to have met with you before your departure so we could have had the opportunity to thank you in person for your kind words. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.
Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Polish first
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

just back from a short break in the hodson bay hotel. this is the best four star hotel that we have stayed in. from start to finish everything was excellent.
upon arrival reception staff were efficient and very friendly. check in wasnt until 4pm, but our room was ready early, which was great!
our room was in the new extension, floor to ceiling windows that look out over the lough - FABULOUS! room was lovely, comfy beds, pillows. bathroom was huge - everything was spotless.
spa was great - just what you would expect in a four star hotel.
We had dinner in the hotel restaurant, no complaints here either. service was fast and the food was the best we've had in a hotel in a long long time.
Everything about this hotel was just perfect, would highly recommend and we will def be going back. Great place to go just to get away from it all!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. It was wonderful to read that you both had such a pleasant experience in the hotel. We use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. I would especially like to thank you for the kind comments about our facilities and more so the comments regarding our staff, I will certainly circulate your kind words around the hotel and place a copy of your review in the staff facilities. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.

Saratoga Springs, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Not the best hotel due to staff being unhappy to be there. Asking bar man for a drink or a bite to eat was like asking him to eat nails. That being said the wedding we were at was well done.

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and especially your comments regarding the wedding which you attended. I would like to apologise for the poor manner in which you were dealt with by our bar staff. As you will see from the previous review, it is difficult to defend the performance of the team given the feedback. I find this is very disappointing as we have previously received positive feedback. I will however ensure that this matter be addressed as a matter of urgency with our Bar Manager. It is disappointing that we did not get to meet prior to your departure so we could have had the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. Should you wish to discuss this matter in greater detail please drop me a line to thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com, and I would be happy to discuss your concerns.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

just returned from a wedding party, the food was nice but the hotel was very warm and stuffy throughout, queueing for a drink was not a pleasant experience with the bar staff oblivious to how long you might be standing there waiting and taking orders of others ahead of you, one rude bar girl told me to speak to the manager when i asked why others were being served ahead of me. not the way to run a bar

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback which we found to be very informative. I would especially like to thank you for your comments regarding our food, however it is unfortunate there were some regrettable issues. I would like to apologise if you felt some of our bar staff were rude, as we have in the past received positive feedback. I will however ensure that this matter be addressed immediately with our Bar Manager. It is disappointing that we did not get to meet prior to your departure so we could have had the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. Should you wish to discuss this matter in greater detail please drop me a line to thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com, and I would be happy to discuss your concerns.

County Clare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We had a room in the newer retreat area of the hotel with a full view of the lake, huge bathroom with jacuzzi type bath and seperate shower. Spotlessly clean with a six foot bed, two couches and bathrobes supplied.

Had a snack in the carvery area on Friday evening, just coffee and a sambo, very nice, breakfast both mornings was excellent and service was very efficient even though the hotel was jam packed. A large choice of everything you could ever want including pancakes and fish which I rarely see at other hotels.

Dinner on Saturday night was first class, we had pheasant and monkfish which were supurb, wine list extensive and reasonably priced, loads of choice under 30 Euro.

The leisure centre had everything you could want, only slight downer was the jacuzzi was the same temp as the pool rather that a few degrees higher.

Every single member of staff I met was friendly. No guest was allowed to pass without a smile and a greeting no matter how busy that staff member was. This is something that other hotels could and should learn from.

Overall, our stay at Hodson Bay was very enjoyable, we would return in a heartbeat. We spoke to two other couples who were regular visitors and the hotel seems to have a loyal clientel that stay regularly and intend to continue to do so.

I never stay anywhere without checking on Tripadvisor and have to honestly say that I saw none of the negatives that previous reviewers found.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

As a TripAdvisor member,I generally read reviews about any hotel that we intend to stay in.I didn't this time,as myself and my partner had received a gift voucher from friends as an engagement present.
We decided at the last minute to travel from Dublin,as its only an hour and a half drive,and found the hotel easily.My sister had stayed here previously,and had nothing but good things to say about it.We arrived at the hotel at about 5 o'clock on a sunny Sunday afternoon,having to actually drive through a section of Athlone golf course to get to hotel.There was a lot of people about,with a great atmosphere,and pleasure boats on the lake.
At check in we asked about a late check-out the following day,as we had both booked in for spa treatments,and were told no problem.
We were given a retreat room,which is in a newer part of the hotel,actually above the Spa and leisure centre.The room was huge,with a good size bed,large plasma screen,huge desk and full length mirror.The bathroom had a bath and seperate shower,which was big enough for 2 people....!.
Our room didn't overlook the lake,but we could see it by looking out to the left.The windows were ceilng to floor,which is a nice touch,and can be opened if you get too warm.
We had a quick walk around,and went into the bar for a drink and a snack,as we were eating in the restaurant later in the evening.The bar was busy,with carvery food being served,as well as salads and sandwiches.I had soup,which was hot and tasty,and my Girlfriend just had chips.I went into the restaurant to view the evening menu,and get wine list.The guy that was there,think he may have been the restaurant manager,was very nice,and very helpful,explaining some of the dishes to me.
The food that evening was good,not great,and I feel this is one area the hotel needs to improve on,although could not fault the service.We had some drinks in the bar afterwards,in front of a huge fireplace and mantelpiece,which is the centrepiece of the bar.It was very relaxing,and the barman was friendly,and knew his stuff,his name is Pavel.
When we went to the room,I was asleep in literally minutes,the bed was so comfortable,and the room was deathly silent,and pitch black.
We went for breakfast at 9 next morning,served in the Octagon restaurant,overlooking Lough Ree.It was a buffet style,with hot and cold options,plenty of choice.A waitress took an order for tea and toast,and returned in no time.
Afterwards we went for a swim,the pool area has a 20 metre pool,sauna,steam room and an amazing hydrotherapy pool,with massaging jets for upper and lower body,and a bubble pool too,loved it!!I have gone on for a bit,but have to mention the massage we both got,we went into the Spa an hour before our treatments,and had access to the Thermal spa,which was out pf this world.massage was so relaxing I fell asleep.
All in all,great stay,great room,fantastic staff.Restaurant needs to change menu around a bit,and improve food a bit though.

Dear Guest
It is always very encouraging for the management and staff at the hotel to read such positive comments. Our aim at the hotel is to ensure that each guest that visits the hotel, whether it be for one night or a family break, has the opportunity to experience all the facilities which we have to offer, and departs the hotel looking forward to a return visit. We have found your comments very helpful, and have taken on board you suggestions. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and should you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We stayed here for the weekend. It was ok...but to be honest for the price we paid three hundred euro...for two nights b&b it is too expensive for that this hotel offers....breakfast was fine...but everything was deep fried....and caked in oil/fat....rooms only fair we stayed in a smoking room and to be honest just because people smoke does not mean they want to stay in dingy rooms...which is what ours was....the bar needs updating...the reception area is small and pokey and not welcoming....staff were all nice...but if i was to choose again i would pick a five star hotel like the lyrath in kilkenny and pay the few bob extra for the luxary...hudson bay your grand...but you would need to either reduce your price to reflect your offering or improve you hotel....

Dear Guest
At the hotel we are always looking at ways to improve the service and experience that our guests receive when they stay with us, and we have found your feedback to be informative. I would especially like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. It is regrettable that you feel that you did not get value for money, as we pride ourselves on customer care and satisfaction. We unfortunately did not get to meet prior to your departure, so perhaps you might like to drop me a line to thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com to discuss your feedback in greater detail.
Timothy Hayes

Been to Hodson Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!