“One night business trip in June 2013” 4 of 5 stars

The Prince of Wales Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Church Street, Athlone, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Buncrana, Ireland
“One night business trip in June 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was warm, clean and comfortable. I had a meal in the hotel bar and even though the bar was very busy, the meal was good. I had to order it twice though as the waiter had forgotten me. I'd have no problem staying her again though as the hotel is in an excellent location and is good value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Booked this hotel because of the location. Very central and we wanted to eat overlooking the Shannon (see my review of 'The Olive Grove' in restaurants). Room was fine for the price. Staff were helpful and the carpark was free. Breakfast was memorable only that we had to send almost all the cutlery and cups back, and the staff had a job to find clean ones. I don't want someone elses breakfast on my fork. There is a club in the hotel which ran until 2.00am ON A SUNDAY! The noise from the club goers outside the club/hotel went on from around midnight till 2.30. I am a good sleeper, especially after a pint or two of the black stuff, but this was over the top. Then we get to the overnighters from the club staying at the hotel. I had to ring down to reception at 5.30 am to ask them to 'have a word'. Oh, and the refuse truck at 7.30. We left very grumpily in the morning.

Room Tip: Choose your room very carefully. Make a specific request for a room as far away from the disco as po...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were a party of 36 English visitors, and of the four hotels we stayed at the Prince of Wales was by far the nicest. The main point is that the dinner was exceptionally good, especially since we were on a negotiated rate. It was the only hotel where we felt the food had been sourced locally and carefully prepared and cooked in their kitchen, rather than the others where it was a sort of heated-up micro-wave offering without any care or attention.
The unfortunate element at the P of W was that at breakfast the following day they were severely short-staffed and the poor lad doing all the serving really couldn't cope single-handed. Things were cold and late. But the Manager assured me later that they had had difficulties that morning, and I honestly wouldn't want to hold that minor grievance against them, after the splendid meal of the evening before.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Holmfirth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed on 2 separate nights. Good rooms. Clean. Big shower. Very helpful staff. Had mini breakfast very good value at 6 euro. Had carvery lunch at 4pm just before closing and was disappointed - veg watery and tasteless.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night with a friend. Reception staff were friendly & helpful. Room was nice although the bathroom tiling was grubby and stained in the shower. Bed was comfortable, pillows not so much. Disappointed no conditioner minis in bathroom as I didn't bring any. Busy spot with nightclub. We stayed in bar later in the night, nice staff and music. Night porter was pleasant & friendly. We had breakfast in our room in the morning. Unfortunately we were rudely woken at 8.15 by a phonecall from a girl stating we were in a single room and would be charged for extra breakfast and again at reception for extra person. Also claimed we didn't write a time for breakfast on our card even though I distinctly remember writing this as I discussed with my friend. Anyhow I informed the rude lady that I had a receipt for a twin room and would not be paying extra, she put me on hold and then came back stated that's fine now and hung up. I was rather annoyed as was my friend who could not get bak to sleep. When the breakfast arrived it wasn't v nice, not enough milk for cereal and tea, no cereal spoon, undercooked pudding and overcooked bacon, no hash browns as ordered. It was the standard breakfast with no regard to the choices offered and selected. Anyway we got ready and vacated the room , the man on reception was very nice and helpful, he informed us that we owed for the room, which we didn't as it was paid to a booking agency and only owed for room service, on noticing his mistake he let us off the room service charge, which was fair enough and more than expected. He did ask how our stay was and we informed him of our morning call, which he was very apologetic over. All in all a nice hotel, mostly friendly staff and good location. Though I think on my next stay I will be giving a look around at other hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Padraic W, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying in the Prince Of Wales hotel and taking the time to submit your review. Thank you for your kind comments in relation to most of our staff.I apologize for your breakfast not being satisfactory and I have followed this up with my team. I myself happened to be the person who checked you out of the hotel and thank you for the nice comment. I immediately followed up the issue and it genuinely transpires as a misunderstanding. Unfortunately your breakfast card does not have a time on it so our waitress had no option but to ring you and alsothe travel voucher does say 1 occupant in the room as does your guest registration card.We recently started making homemade potato cakes instead of hash browns and I am awaiting new breakfast cards this should have been said to you on delivery of your breakfast. I hope you will give us another chance . Again I am sorry if you felt one member of staff was rude but I after speaking to her they was no intention. I hope the above clarifies any problems that may have arisen duing , should you wish to discuss any of the above or see a copy of the breakfast card feel free to contact me anytime at manager@theprinceofwales.ie

Regards
padraic Whelan
Schinnen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We spent 3 nights at this hotel during a family wedding. The staff were very friendly and helpful with directions and information. The bedrooms were clean and spacious with enough hanging space. The televisions should be changed for flat screen versions. The rooms were very quiet considering the down town location.They were very flexible about check out times as we were waiting for our car to be valeted. All in all a good experience and we would certainly return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ballna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have just come back from a 2 night stay in this hotel. we stayed on a Friday and Saturday night. to start off this is not where you would bring your kids at he weekend as it is a very busy vibrant hotel with a lot of bars attached to it but for a couple or a grop it ticks all the boxes.check in friendly and the reception rang the room to check was all ok afterwards. We ate in the bar on the first night service was friendly and attentitive the food was excellent and the server/manager advised us of he hot spots in the town and also gave us a voucher to have a free drink in the bar . There was music n the bar on the Friday and on the Saturday a very lovely band. We missed brekkie on Saturday but we had a great breakfast Sunday and we came down before the rush all cooked fresh and again very friendly staff.to sum it up the hotel is not luxury but does not advertise as such, it is clean comfortable with good staff food and facilities and we will be back. We ate in thyme restaurant on he second nit it was fab also.

Room Tip: Room 206 was very spacious
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Prince of Wales Hotel? Share your experiences!