“Quaint b and b in great location with Old Irish charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Roncalli B&B

Roncalli B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Athlone
Roncalli B&B
You added Roncalli B&B to your Saves list
42 St Francis Terrace, Athlone, Ireland   |
Ranked #19 of 24 Athlone B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Quaint b and b in great location with Old Irish charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I was visiting family earlier this year and stayed at the Roncalli B and B while I was in Athlone. The hotel is in a great location within walking distance of all of Athlone's attractions. The feel was warm, and the rooms were cozy and comfortable. Breakfast comes with the room and is tasty and more than generous. The proprietor was charming and really gave me a feel of Ireland. I would definitely recommend this b and b.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I had the misfortune of staying there a few days ago. This place is horrid.

Quite an unfriendly "welcome" at the door. As soon as she opened the door to the bedroom I was hit by a very off-putting odour, that's when I really should have left. I thought that opening the window would clear the smell somewhat, but after leaving it open for a few hours the stink was still untamed. The bathroom was also far from ideal. The entire house looked like it wasn't done up for at least 30 years. The stuffed foxes were much better company than the rude proprietor during my stay.

For breakfast I started with a bowl of stale cornflakes. I then opted for the cheese omelette, which was a clearly microwaved, pale and soggy affair, which I couldn't possibly get through.

Definitely not children friendly. Not couple friendly. Nobody friendly. I was forced to pay upfront for the room and I now understand why.

When my partner tried to mention a few problems I had Ann refused to listen, told him to leave and closed the door in his face. She said that she has been 18 years in the business and she is happy with how she does things.

If there is any organisation in Ireland that regulates B&Bs they should certainly consider closing this place down.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Roncalli B&B? Share your experiences!