“average for money” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 77 Restaurants in Athlone
Dundalk, Ireland
“average for money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

starters were nice had salmon tartare was ok duck for main course very dry sc was just like water the fondant was burnt

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Athlone, Ireland
“Sunday Lunch - Surpassed our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went out for Sunday Lunch this week and we were very plesantly surprised by the whole experience. FIrstly our waitress was very welcoming and attentive, the menu offered an excellent selection with a very nice goat's cheese option with beetroot salad as a vegetarian starter. When I enquired about a vegetarian main course (there was nothing on the printed menu) I was told about a vegetable charlotte which included butter beans and was wrapped in ribbons of courgette. I didn't have to think twice I ordered it. All the food was very well presented - my wife started with a croquette which was served with a celeriac remoulade - both starters were excellent. My main course was excellent - as good a vegetarian dish as I have had for a long time - my wife ordered the monkfish and this was a nice generous portion of fish served with vegetables including a stunning arrangement of peas, celery and chard which was outstanding. We finished off our meal with the ginger sticky pudding and ice-cream which was first class and a drop of sambucca to top the perfect meal. All in all an excellent meal - we were both more than happy with all of our choices and we won't leave it too long before we make a return visit.
Great to find a chef who really understands vegetables. My advice would be to put the vegetarian option on the printed menu. We have often walked away from a restaurant which didn't display its vegetarian option...in this case the dish would hold its own compared to any meat or fish dish! Well done Chef and well done to the waitresses who handled all the front of house service so well.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ireland
“Tasty, locally sourced and beautifully presented food with very friendly service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I had a lovely meal! All the staff were very friendly and attentive. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and will definitely return.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Belfast
“Not as good as people claim”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Starters were excellent- absolutely no complaints- but main course was another story. We ordered duck and the bavette steak. The duck was served with a horrible sauce which had an overall taste like plain stock and the duck itself was dry. The bavette was better for sure but my partner was still disappointed. They need to improve main courses.
The waitresses were friendly but it was slow service from starters on. So, while it started great it just plummeted from there. I mentioned the problem with the sauce to the waitress and she seemed indifferent and made no effort to say 'Sorry about that' and just said 'Hm' in an indifferent way.
If you know anything about food this will disappoint you.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Athlone, Ireland
“great food at great prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Lovely resteraunt. Great food and service. Very reasonably priced too. Great place for a date its very cosy.

Visited August 2012