“Real People” 5 of 5 stars

Bray,Co.Wicklow
“Real People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Hi Everybody,

My family and I (wife and two kids ) spent last night (Saturday 11th of Aug) at the WILD HONEY INN and we weren't dissappointed from the moment we arrivied to when we left. The experience was fantastic.The staff were so friendly and nothing was too much.The accommodation was excellent ie spotless,very comfortable and homey.We had our evening meal in the bar last night and it was cracking.I' d recommend the fillet of lamb's neck.This morning we had a breakfast which was scrumptious.Last but not least Kate (the owner) is probably one of the nicest hosts we have encountered over the years very genuine hence the title of my review REAL PEOPLE.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Laragh, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We're just back from a wonderful relaxing weekned in Co Clare. We booked 2 nights in the Wild Honey Inn with our friends but were so inpressed we decided to stay an extra night!! We're always on the hunt for good food restaurants around Ireland and we hit the jackpot here!!
The wild honey is definitely all about the food. The smoked salmon was to die for infact everything on the menu was just amazing. The wine list wasn't overwhelming and the choices were excellent in white & red and the ports. The ambience in the bar was relaxed, complimented by an eclectic choice of music that played in the background. The staff were so friendly and accomodating to all our needs, thumbs up to Leona, Sophie and Sue there!
The food was well priced for the quality and presentation and attention that so obviously went into the food.
The accomodation was equally well priced, the rooms clean & comfortable, the breakfast on a par with the evening meals, we sat over breakfast for about an hour chatting no pressure to clear over tables by the staff which is lovley.
I'd highly recommend this place to everyone. We are already planning our return, well done to Kate & Aidan.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights recently and adored the food. Scallops to die for/steak superb. Breakfast also excellent. I am telling everyone to go there if they are anywhere near Co Clare. Kate and Aidan are a truly lovely couple and they deserve all the accolades.Will be returning for sure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

I visited the wild honey inn with friends in June 2012 for a meal and we all very impressed with both the quality of the food and the lovely eating area. I returned on sat July 14 for an overnight stay and evening meal. Again the quality of the food did not disappoint. The apple crumble is delicious, this is probably the best crumble I've had anywhere. Room was nice, small but perfectly fine. A nice touch was the magazine and book on the windowsill. I highly recommend this hotel. If you're looking for good value and somewhere to chill out then you will not do better than the wild honey inn.

• Stayed July 2012
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Wild Honey Inn for 2 nights (6/7 July 2012). We found it to be a fantastic place, Kate and Aidan and their staff were super hosts and really know how to make their guests feel welcome. Very comfortable rooms and the breakfast was fantastic with locally sourced artisan foods. Kate also arranged a walk for us on the Coast of Fanore which was really great with a very informative guide called Mary Howeard. We ate at the bar on both nights and the food was superb. I cannot recommend this highly enough and look forward to returning again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

A friend had recommended the Wild Honey Inn to me a few months ago. I was surprised that I'd never heard of it, as I know the area reasonably well from hillwalking / fishing etc., and thought in my arrogance that I knew most good places. I'm so glad she mentioned it! In a nutshell, it's a warm, welcoming, jewel of a place, with friendly staff and cracking food a 5 minute walk from Lisdoonvarna. What's not to like!!??

We were staying for two nights, me and my partner, and our two American cousins (18 year olds) over on a visit. A mix of walking / sightseeing was on the cards (weather permitting).

We arrived late enough on a Saturday night and saw various groups in the main bar/ restaurant all tucking in to their meals. We were conscious of being late, but asked if there was time to eat, and despite it being "officially" closed, the kitchen accommodated us and we had delicious fish and chips, and even dessert (those young boys are still growing :-)) The excellent Roadside Inn is just 3 minutes walk away. Run by the folks who own the Burren Smokehouse, this is an excellent retreat after dinner for some local microbrew beers and some Irish music.

Breakfast was lovely. Served in their breakfast dining room, it includes juices, pastries, granola, yoghurt etc., plus a menu of cooked options, including the full Irish, French Toast, and an Omelette Arnold Bennett (smoked haddock, gruyere these, etc.). All the breakfasts looked great, and my omelette was superb.

We had the full monty dinner there the second night : starters, mains, desserts. Every course was very good, mostly organic or locally sourced ingredients, and top top notch. The food is not showy, but is classy, understated and beautifully done. I'd return for the crab starter alone (an interpretation of a crab cocktail in a glass). Brilliant.

The rooms are lovely - spotless, good showers, nicely decorated. There's a lovely lounge area downstairs also with books and papers for chilling out. The staff were universally helpful and friendly, and of course Kate was always on top of anything we needed help with. Oh, and the pint of Guinness at the bar was pretty high quality :-)

I'd recommend this to anyone: couples looking for a cosy few days in the Burren / Clare area, groups going walking, just anyone really. I also found it good value for the quality on offer. I am already looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: We stayed in a double (number 3) which had windows on both aspects of the house. Very nice!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Due to health issues haven't been on holiday for 6 years, so we wanted to stay close to my favourite part of the world Doolin but wanted to try somewhere different. Recommendation in Cara magazine for the Honey Inn with award winning restaurant. I have lots of dietary restrictions, so I phoned ahead & spoke to the chef, I also sent an email. It was purely & only on health grounds, I am not a Diva & I love food.There was nothing difficult about my requests but I brought back up food with me just incase, as the reception I got from the chef was friendly but lukewarm regarding the food. We should have cancelled our booking in hindsight.
Kate welcomed us when we arrived, no booking in the book for us! It wasn't a problem, as a room was available. I suspect without Kate the business would do a nosedive. She is friendly, helpful, welcoming but sadly has no say over the restaurant it seems. The accomodation was spotless, our room was a little small. It would have been good to have tea/coffee making facilities which is standard in most B&Bs. We bought our own kettle, problem solved. Breakfast was great, no problem there, but I brought my own soy milk & dairy free bread. They made me porridge as requested, which I appreciated, but wondering if I should have been feeling greatful!! Dinner was a disaster, first night was a large bowl of lettuc with 4 slices tomatoe & 4 slices cucumber!! The second night was a plate of tomatoes with a side of green beans, oh some seeds were sprinkled on the tomatoes. I told them I had quinoa, brown rice or pasta in the room if they could cook any of them for me.....they couldn't. I appreciate Lisdoonvarnagh is down the country as pointed out by the chef, but it is not the outback & a poor reflection on his attitude to his customers who are obviously not as important as his culinary creations!! Why did I not complain & kick up a fuss or just leave? It was our first holiday myself & my partner had been on together in years, how could I ruin his experience, it's just not something I would do. He really enjoyed his food but was upset by the treatment I was getting. As he said, it's like you are the one 'causing' a problem & you are the customer paying for a service! So if U have no restrictions, it might be worth a visit but I am reluctant to recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wild Honey Inn? Share your experiences!