“Good hotel service - but don't plan on eating here if your Vegetarian” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Boat Inn

You added The Boat Inn to your Saves list
The Boat Inn
Main Street | The Square, Oughterard, Ireland   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Oughterard B&B and Inns
“Good hotel service - but don't plan on eating here if your Vegetarian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed here during the connemarathon. Our room was nice, freshly painted and spacious. We found the staff to be helpful and the hotel manager is a prime example of excellent hospitality. There was music in the bar so we were given a room at the other end of the hotel which was great as two of us were running the next day, however there was still a lot of noise as people go out on the street to smoke. we were allowed a late check out at no extra charge as the Manager was aware we were running in the Marathon this was a lovely touch.

We felt that what seriously let the hotel down was the restaurant, The menu is extremely limited... There is only one Vegetarian Main on the menu and its a pasta and sauce job ( I don't eat pasta) ... so the first night I had a side of veg and a side of chips and the second evening I had the steak with out the steak.... IE everything that comes with the stake and not the steak. The Breakfast Menu was a complete farce..... there is one menu for the public and one for residents... on our second morning, I was VERY RUDELY told I could not order a Omelette as I was staying in the hotel... This was EXTREMELY POOR customer service seeing as the waitress knew id eaten next to nothing since arriving....It was this incident that left an overall bad feeling towards the restaurant. I was willing to forgive the limited menu until this point even though we had emailed them before my arrival to check they could cater for me (they had said they could). I think this incident only occurred as the hotel manager was not present at the time and the waitress was concentrating more on training in a new staff member then delivering quality customer service.

Overall the hotel is nice and the hotel staff are great. as a hotel in this area I would defiantly recommend it but I would advise anyone with dietary requirements to eat else where and would strongly advise anyone who doesn't enjoy public humiliation or being scolded like a child to make sure they pick up the correct in the morning. I really wanted to be able to say I loved this hotel as it is very quaint and Oughterard is a lovely village so I really wanted to be able to write a glowing review. Unfortunately one staff member let down an otherwise outstanding hospitality team. Which is a terrible shame.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the bar are quieter.the Street view is nice but noisey.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boat I, Manager at The Boat Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Hi, I am very sorry our vegetarian options on our menu where a disappointment , and this is something i will change right away , we change 80% of our menu to gluten free and our chief does some great veg dishes , but these are not stated on our menus and this is something i will chance and I am very sorry about ,We take great pride in our food and in our workplace at always trying to improve things ,so I will take full note of all you said and will work hard on these areas including more veg options on all menus , and adding on the omelet to the guest b/fast , I am very em barest on your refusal for a omelet for b/fast and have addressed t the matter and can only say how sorry I am , I thank you for your very fare comments and am working on all matter stated , to get us that all important 100% and leaving our guest with a all enjoyable experience of Connemara, I invite you back to the boatinn this summer for a nights B&B and a evening meal ,and really wish you will take us up on this offer, looking forward to hearing from you , kind regards Rory (manger)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Had lunch here recently, the food was fantastic and excellent value. The staff asked me at least three times if everything was alright with my meal (don't know why cause I thought I looked happy !) the toilets were spotless and even a complimentary newspaper was brought to my table, 4 star quality in a nice country town pub.

Room Tip: Get a seat facing the window and watch a small country town in action as you have your meal
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Cobh, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

If you are looking for a great place to stay ,eat or drink in Oughterard. I can recommend The Boat Inn. The rooms here are well designed, very clean and very comfortable , the food is delicious and the atmosphere is friendly. Rory the manager is an excellent ambassador for Galway and Irish tourism. The staff are very helpful and friendly which made my visit with my two friends really memorable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We had lunch here and the atmosphere was so lovely as was the food. The staff are very friendly and can't do enough for you. The lunch menu is very reasonable especially the soup and sambo combo. I'd recommend this pub/restaurant if you're in Oughterard or on your way out to Connemara and need to stop and eat.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Wembley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

If your in Oughterard and are looking for a great place to stay ,eat or drink , I can't recommend The Boat Inn enough ! The rooms here are well designed and very comfortable , the food is delicious and the atmosphere is friendly and fun . The staff couldn't of been more helpful or friendly which made my visit to connermara all the more enjoyable ! I have friends that will be visiting Oughterard next year and have recommended they stay here as I know they won't be disappointed .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is definetly the place to stop for fish and chips after the Connemara Loop. It was so tasty and homemade touch! No idea about the rooms. The toilets of the restaurant need some renovation and room for baby change. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We went there for Sunday dinner and it was amazing. Lovely food and price was excellent. Three course meal for less then twenty. Fabulous meal, free baby bowl for our baby and very helpful staff just make our day. Highly recommended for family or any type of dinners.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Boat Inn? Share your experiences!