“My annual slice of heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Corrib Wave House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Portacarron, Oughterard, Ireland   |
Ranked #12 of 23 Oughterard B&B and Inns
Northamptonshire
“My annual slice of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I have been frequenting the Corrib Wave for almost ten years. I visit every May, normally the third weekend in the month, whereupon the most glorious hatch of mayfly takes place - the fishing is good, the company excellent and the "craic" just as good. Aside from the obvious joy at seeing my friends again for some fishing, I would like to pass on my best wishes and thanks to Michael & Maria who run the Corrib Wave. Each year without fail they have looked after us with their warm and welcoming hospitality - The food is excellent - Breakfast sufficient to keep you going all day, packed lunches and the evenings meals of wholesome farmhouse fare. Michael also has available a small fleet of fishing boats available for day hire from the Corrib Wave's own quayside on the shores of loch Corrib. Any guest will soon get a taste of Michael's quick and dry sense of humour and love of all things piscatorial - what ever you do, do not ever ask Michael the best place or method for catching the best fish - you will only ever get one of his stock in trade comical answers back in reply. We have some excellent banter with him - our group have been after Michael's so called "recession discount" for the last few years without success. The views from the house are fantastic and it is just a short drive or ride in Jonjo's taxi into Ougherard for a few scoops. I highly recommend the Corrib Wave as do all the other guests I have seen return each year for the last ten years just as I do - long may it continue. Thanks, from Kevin, Northampton

• Stayed May 2010

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
bolton england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

Just had a wonderful stay at this most homely of guest houses .we have stayed at this guest house for the last four years at different times of the year . maria and michael are the most helpful of hosts and nothing is to much trouble. the view from the house is spectacular and as one of our party said on first viewing "it is like utopia".the food is excellent ,all homemade.i would have no hesitation in recomending this guest house as we have done on many occasions.it is a good base to see all of connemara and beyond.

• Liked — the friendly hosts and the view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Co. Down, Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

On arrival after a long drive, Maria, our hostess provided us with a much appreciated hot cup of tea and some buscuits. The welcome was warm and sincere. The house is situated right on the shore of Lough Corrib and is just a matter of minutes on the Galway side of Oughterard, a lovely little village. Our room was spacious and clean complete with en-suite bathroom. It had a double bed and a single and we shared with our daughter. The breakfast consists of a choice: Fruit, cheese, cereals, fruit juice, tea or coffee, toast and fresh brown (wheaten) bread and a cooked breakfast, either an Irish fry, scrambled egg on toast with bacon and or sausages or poached eggs. There is no rush to vacate the breakfast room as Maria is only to please to have a chat and advise on where best to go in the locality. On return at night Maria and her husband Michael and some of the girls are always in the living room beside an open fire, burning locally cut turf. Again you are welcome to join them for a chat about the events of the day.
Michael has eight boats to hire for fishing from his own jetty. He can also arrange for expert gillies to guide the wouldbe angler around the best parts of Corrib. On display in the house are a number of specimen catches from Corrib over the years. There are perch, pike and brown trout. Some of the trout are 14lb plus.
This house is well located for those who want to explore the sights of Co. Galway and Connemara. It is 25 minutes drive from Galway city which is worth a visit and just up the road through the village of Oughterard on the left hand side is the bridge where John Wayne proposed to Maureen O'Hara in the classic film "The Quiet Man"
All in all I would recommend this house to anyone, especially the keen anglers. I did not do any fishing on this trip as I had my wife with me, but I hope to return with some of my fellow anglers on a future occasion.

• Liked — Homeliness
  • Disliked — There was no tea or coffee facilities in our room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

This was our first stop in Ireland. The staff was friendly and welcoming. At night it's very, very dark in the area and, therefore, extremely dark in the room. My friend and I decided to leave the light on in the bathroom and have the door just slightly ajar. Although the owner asked us not to do that (when we checked in) we were too tired to remember. A little while later, the owner called us on a phone that did not ring at all like a phone! It was a very loud buzzing sound that I thought was an alarm clock. Anyway she was pretty rude right off the bat in asking us to turn it off (I guess the noise of the fan... which was hardly a noise at all... keeps her daughter awake up stairs). Yes, I realize she asked us beforehand, but we forgot so cut us some slack. Aside from that, breakfast was very nice and it was good value for the money. Just don't leave the light on in the bathroom too long!

• Liked — Good breakfast
  • Disliked — The owner had a little 'tude
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Corrib Wave House? Share your experiences!