“Wonderful experience. Will be back.” 5 of 5 stars

Currarevagh House
Glann Road | Lough Corrib, Oughterard, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Oughterard
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful experience. Will be back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My two nights and almost three days in Currarevagh House were a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I did some research on the web before making the booking and decided this was the place. After a friendly chat with Henry the owner I adjusted my dates (on the date I wanted to travel the dog-friendly room was not available) and made the booking. I went to Connemara with great expectations, and some worries that I may be disappointed.
I liked everything: the location, of course, and the house itself with a lot of space, a lot of books and a lot of personality. The dog-friendly room was big, with a splendid view over the lake and on a rhododendron tree in full crimson blossom. It was also spotless clean, no smell of any previous dog-guests. One could almost consider getting a loan of a dog to have this particular room. And I could walk the dog out of the house through the back stairs, without having to parade him in front of other guests who may, or may not, enjoy the creature’s company.
My husband and I enjoy walking and there are great walks by the Corrib Lake (West Way-take good walking shoes or wellies) and good strolls around the estate itself. I enjoy swimming and there is an easy and private access to the lake (water several degrees warmer than the sea – I am writing in May).
Food was excellent. Afternoon tea with great cakes a nice touch. I also liked the idea of a set dinner (with a possibility of adjustment) after a gong call – it added to a general feel of being a guest in the house rather than a customer in a restaurant. After dinner coffee and petit fours in the drawing room was a pleasant closure of the day, when one could sit alone, in the company of a person one came with, or mix with other guests.
The tranquil informality of this family-run place is probably the result of a long family tradition in running this country house, combined with some serious training in hospitality. I think it works very well. The reception is sometimes empty, but when one rings a bell, the reaction is immediate.
I greatly appreciated the fact that after checking out of the bedroom one is invited to continue using other facilities. This includes a bathroom which is made available and where I was able to take a shower after my last swim in the lake. I felt this was the friendliest place I ever stayed in for the post check-out guests, and I stayed in many hotels and guest houses before.
PS. Wi-fi is available in public areas, it was available in my room which was quite a distance from the central area, and even in the garden. However, although I brought some work with me, I used my laptop only once to check the mail; I felt it would be a shame to spoil my stay in a place like this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dubois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great place to stay for a tranquil weekend ! Located on Lough Corrib ! Ask for a room with a view on the Lough. Walk the private woodlands and or use one of the guest rowboats.
Great food and afternoon tea ! A wonderful experience !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

What a delight to stay somewhere where you were made to feel genuinely welcome from the moment you stepped through the door.

We stayed last week, when the east wind was hurtling across Lough Corrib and straight into Currarevagh House! Henry and June did all in their power to make sure we were warm and comfortable; turf fires were kept stoked, extra heaters strategically placed and hot water bottles put in the comfy bed.

The food here was outstanding - I have never eaten such a huge breakfast in my life! It certainly saw us through to tea and cake by the fire that afternoon. The dinners were superb, perfectly balanced and beautifully presented.

I think the highlights were Lucy's granola at breakfast (over a lovely fruit salad with a selection of perfectly ripe fruit, and yogurt), marinated seabass with fennel and radish salad, and rump of lamb with aubergine and harissa - but everything was just lovely. Modern cooking at its finest.

Unfortunately the poor weather meant we didn't get to see as much of Connemara as we'd planned, but this just means we'll have to pay a return visit to Currarevagh in the summer! Can't wait.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in June 2012 as part of our two week tour of Western Ireland and we were spoiled for any future accommodations and hosts. We arrived on a cool rainy day around 12:00 noon- early, we knew, but hoping we could at least store our luggage. We were graciously welcomed by June who took us to our room and made us tea and hot chocolate and scones. We sat in the gorgeous living/sitting area looking out on the dog frolicking on the lawn with a peat fire blazing and thought we had been transported to a movie set. We spent the afternoon exploring the grounds-walking down to the lake and came back to a wonderful dinner.
We stayed three nights and could have stayed a week. Our room was large and spacious and overlooked the gardens in the back of the house. The house itself is an old manor house with beautiful rooms and furnishings. June was filling in for her son who had hurt his back and she was simply the most gracious, accommodating and helpful host one could imagine. She bustled about with boundless energy regaling us with stories of the family and the house and the area. She helped serve dinner that night and breakfast the next morning. Whenever, we had a question or needed something she was there.
The dinners were gourmet delights with son Harry's wife doing most of the cooking. She is a trained chef and it shows. We had salmon, veal and beef on our three nights and each main course as well as all the side dishes were superb.Most surprising and unexpected was June coming by after we had finished our main course to ask if we wanted seconds!! To top it all off dessert was served by the fire in the living area with coffee and cookies with all the dinner guests gathered to chat. We struck up some fascinating conversations with the folks who were staying there and it was a delightful way to end the evening.
Breakfasts were outstanding- served buffet style with freshly prepared eggs and other sides-more food than one could possible eat, but all of the highest quality and once again served by June in her most gracious manner.
Our room was charming and comfortable; a corner room with fresh flowers and beautiful furnishings. The house was quiet and relaxing and because many of the people staying there were long-time guests and were staying for a week or more we made some good friends.
We used the House as a base to go to the Aran Islands out of Rossaveal and also explore Connemara. June was helpful with directions and sights to see.
We have traveled and stayed at many small inns and B&Bs in the States, Italy, Cornwall, France and Nova Scotia in recent years and Currarevagh House stands at the top of our list. It is a place we will go back to just for that singular experience. A charming and memorable house with a charming and memorable host.
I need to mention afternoon tea with cookies and anything you wanted- it was served in the charming sitting area by the fire or by the huge windows overlooking the lawn. And anytime you wanted something- a diet coke for example!! it was there on a tray with ice and lemon
Its hard to write a review that trys to put into words the feeling of being in someones home- and not just any home but a true Irish Manor House. Just as our visit to Mount Vernon in the Burrens was disappointing in a hard to explain way, our time at Currarevagh House was magical and just as hard to fully describe.

Room Tip: We had room 2, I believe and it was wonderful. We peeked in room 1 and it too was beautiful. Some of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kentfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We spent a week at Currarevagh, and loved it. Harry and his mother were consummate hosts. The Inn itself is a grand old house, in the family for generations. Dinners, and we ate in every night, prepared by Harry's wife, were excellent. Afternoon tea was delightful. Breakfasts were delicious and varied. Fishing on the lake was slow but pleasant. Excursions including the ferry to Ashford Castle were fun (try the Falconry school) and Harry was only too happy to arrange everything.
Could not have been a better week.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I travelled from Arizona USA for her first visit to Ireland. As such we spent a busy week visiting numerous locations around the South and west coasts. By the time we reached Currarevagh for our two day stay we were sorely in need of a couple of days recuperation. We soon realized we had found the perfect location for that purpose.

Our host Henry and his mother couldn't do enough for us. Upon our arrival we received a warm welcome and a refreshing pot of tea together with a delicious selection of cakes was served to us. Our room was immaculately clean and furnished in accordance with the old country house style of the house. The bed was extremely comfortable and the windows provided lovely views.

The house is located in easy reach of Galway and trips further into Connemara or places such as Cong are easily made. The local town Oughterard has a number of pubs. We very much enjoyed a quiet few pint of Guinness in the welcoming Breathnachs Bar.

Within the grounds of Currarevagh are some beautiful walks down by Lough Corrib and like other reviewers we soon found Millie the lovely house dog accompanying us on our strolls. A perfect way to work up an appetite for dinner to which Henry or Lucy summoned us by the striking of a gong- a nice touch. We found the dinners -and breakfasts- to be of the highest standard. Just remember that you are dining in a country house, not a regular restaurant, so the choices are limited. This didn't matter a bit to us as the dishes provided were the epitome of fresh and delicious Irish food.

As others have noted its very important to understand the nature of Currarevagh. It's a place of peace and quiet, no phones or TVs, and unlocked rooms. We spent hours just sitting before a turf fire working our way through the house extraordinarily eclectic library.

For us Currarevagh was perfect and we ended up opting to stay a third night. We certainly will return any time we are in Ireland. In short highly recommended if you wish to experience the more relaxed, slower paced Ireland of the past.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have just returned from a one night stay and were so sad to leave. If you want a place with character and interesting people and amazing food and sheer quiet tranquility this could be the place for you. It's a country house though so perhaps other reviewers were expecting full modern hotel service and not expecting the polite mixing with some other guests as often happens in country houses. As it's a country house in a fab setting, I'm happy to surrender the Sunday papers for feeling like a guest in a fine old beautiful country house. The memory will be cherished in and not dissipate into blandness as many a plush hotel visit will!!! The food was truly superb, afternoon tea, tea coffee and macaroons (I am a coeliac - these were the best macaroons I have tasted in Europe!!) Also worth noting -whenever you want tea and coffee, they will make it for you and if you want a a picnic for your for lunch just tell then the night before. If you have a special dietary issue I think you just need to remind them just before you arrive also. I read one or two complaints about the food and value- I couldn't agree at all. It holds it own well compared to Waterford castle, ballynahinch castle, and the ice house in ballina and many other places. Furthermore while at least one of the aforementioned will offer great 2 night b&b one dinner packages, unlike currarevagh house everything else is extra ... Coffee tea ... Afternoon tea, whereas at currarevagh house all is included with a smile. The bedroom was lovely, not 4/5 star hotel but lovely country house rooms. The only small thing would ask for is I thought the bathroom tile grout in the more heavily used area near the shower could be renewed a bit the bedroom was clean and fresh and faultless- indeed the bedroom was full of beautiful light and a view of the lovely lawns and the lake (side view).Comments of shabbiness are simply completely wrong, I noticed unlike many country homes all the upholstery was in excellent condition. I would recommend this for a romantic weekend, for a family get together, a small wedding for sure, winter / Christmas getaway .... Any excuse you can think of!!! Enjoy

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Currarevagh House? Share your experiences!