“Horrible Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 35 Restaurants in Howth
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Established in 1971, Aidan and Joan MacManus have earned an international reputation for fresh seafood in their harbour-side restaurant in the picturesque fishing village of Howth. In 1999, they extensively rebuilt their old Harbour Master's house, relocating the restaurant to the first floor with panoramic seaviews, and adding eight guest bedrooms. All the bedrooms are named after Lighthouses and have sea-views. Fresh fish landed daily on Howth Pier, oysters and mussels from the west, lobster caught by our own fishermen in Balscadden Bay are among our specialities. Enjoy a pre-dinner drink in our East Cafe Bar while choosing your wine from our outstanding Wine List. National Hospitality Awards Seafood Restaurant of the year 2014. We are situated in the golfing heartland of North County Dublin and for sailors Howth Marina is three minutes walk. Enjoy a gentle stroll on the Pier before breakfast or a more energetic hike on the unspoilt Cliff Path and the trails of Howth Head. For business, shopping or sightseeing, Dublin City is only 25 minutes by Dart. Dublin Airport 25 minutes.
ireland
“Horrible Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We dined here recently and the only positive I can offer is the view. The staff (apart from the young girl who seated us) were condescending, the service was extremely slow and our table had herb crumbs left on it by previous guests that the waiters had not bothered to clear. The food was awful. The brown bread was nasty, the white bread was stale and our amuse bouche was a smoothie !!! The wine, (a Pouilly Fume at 61 euro) had a nasty flowery bouquet. I ordered the crab mornay for starters (although the waiter did try to deter me from this). I received a bowl of melted cheese with a few flakes of crab floating in it that I ate with a spoon as it was pure liquid and the crab consisted of little flakes strewn within the soup. If you like cheese soup you might enjoy this, however I was expecting crab with melted cheese on top and this was not it !!!! My partner's squid was just short of sour and very unappetising. I ordered the sole for a main course. I asked for my meuniere sauce on the side and I was told that this was unnecessary as the sole would be flash grilled with just a tiny bit of sauce. Two members of our party both received overcooked sole improperly prepped, with grey tinges on the edges and literally swimming in sauce. My main course left me with such an unpleasant sensation of butter all over my mouth that I could hardly wait to get home to brush the fat away. Another member of our group ordered prawns (37 euro) and received a small bowl of tiny little prawns, each about a centimetre in diameter, again swimming in butter. The vegetables were also overcooked, inappropriate for what we ordered and again, swimming in butter. We skipped dessert, we had had enough - it would probably have given us heart attacks anyway !!!! Our bill for 2 starters, 3 mains, a bottle of wine and water came to over 200 euro and I feel positively cheated. We do not dine out often and when we do, we expect value for money, courtesy, service and good food even if it comes with a price. In the King Citric, favouritism is alive and well. The hype is wrong, the service is appalling, the food is overcooked, improperly prepped and drowning in butter and the value is nil. Unfortunately, here is nothing positive I can say about this restaurant - and I will leave it at that !!!!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Ireland
“Superb Seafood but ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

King Sitric is in a beautiful location at Howth pier. The seafood was excellent - great choice and fresh. The waiter showed great flexibility and recommended mixed dishes which were great. The Maitre D was superb - knowledgeable and helpful. The wine was excellent too. However the waiter could do with a little cultural awareness training - small things can mean a lot. All in all an excellent evening - I will be back. Ask for a table on the first floor near the window - great views.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Very good food, very disappointing service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've wanted to try this restaurant for years but we live over an hour away so as we had a voucher we went for Sunday lunch. Firstly the food here is very good a fresh abd well cooked seafood. not an exciting menu but nevertheless the smoked salmon and lobster we ate we're delicious. What lets it down and therefore does not put it in top restaurants in Dublin is the mediocre and vague service. When we arrived the waiter looked at us but didn't greet us- so I said we had a booking - he pointed to our table - didn't bother to bring us over to our table. He asked us what the children wanted to eat- and we said they would like a menu as they like seafood. It wasn't that he was rude- he wasn't - he just wasn't up to the standard of the food and having to ask for everything was ridiculous. -out bill was 80 euros a head, so its in the expensive end of restaurants but we had very good wine and excellent seafood but for this price you expect service to match. Would I go back here- no. It's very good food but everything we Asked for he forgot- although the maitre D was very good and very knowledgeable at these prices the service should be absolutely top class- and it is not.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stone, United Kingdom
“Exquisite restaurant for a celebration.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

A fantastic 4 course meal was held for a 60th birthday party . The food and service were excellent and we were made very welcome. Situated near the East Pier and with views to Lambay island from the first floor windows it has an easy ambience.

Visited November 2012
dublin
“No excuses....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a very poor experience at King Sitric, where we ate such bad fish that wouldn't be cooked and served that way in the saddest suburbia diner. I suspect it was even frozen, served in a half folded chunk, you know, when you cook a frozen item that was frozen that way and couldnt be laid down properly. Most terrible chips as well ever. That's why on a very busy sunday there was non queue to get in.... Never again. What a waste of a great name.

Visited May 2013