“Sufficient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hazelwood

Hazelwood
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Howth
Hazelwood
You added Hazelwood to your Saves list
2 Thormanby Woods, Howth, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Howth B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Sufficient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

This was not our first choice but when my brother-in-law and his wife arrived before us at Gleann na Smol where we thought we had reservations, they were told it was overbooked and he would look for another place to put us. They looked the room over at Hazelwood and it appeared clean enough. And it was just that—sufficient. The house was very cluttered and the room sparsely decorated. Fixtures in the bathroom seemed a bit old except for the shower that had a special electronic pump that kept up the pressure and heated the water quickly. Our toilet took a good ten minutes or more to refill and the trickle was very irritating when you were trying to fall asleep. The bed was comfortable enough.

Breakfast was instant coffee or hot tea with orange juice, toast, hot porridge, scrambled eggs, cereal, fruit from the apple trees in the yard. The dining room was one lage table in the middle of a room full of hutches brimming with dishes and glasses of all sorts. Interesting family pictures were scattered all about. For me, it was a bit clostrophobic but that’s just me.

The redeeming element of Hazelwood was Rosaleen who chattered on about the area, its history, its landmarks, etc. She was a quite a hostess.

Hazelwood suffices for a short stay in Howth which was an excellent alternative to staying in Dublin itself. The DART station was easy to access by car or bus and in about 15-20 minutes on the DART, you are in Dublin.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Powell, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011 via mobile

We were switched here after being turned down where we had made our original reservations.

The owner greeted us and showed us to our room. We had not eaten yet, so she made a recommendation. She then drove us up the hill, showed us the look out at the top of the hill and then dropped us off at the pub.

The room was small but clean along with the bath. We slept comfortably.

Breakfast was served around a large table. Made it easy to talk with the other guests. We had fruit off her trees. Breakfast was cooked to order and sufficient.

The owner spent time with us explaining the area.

This place is located up the hill. Easy walk down. However, I would consider the bus or use your car to drive down, park and take the train into Dublin.

For Howth, I felt we got a good deal.

• Stayed September 2011
Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

First, the lady from Illinois is completely right. We walked in, and just out of politeness, we resisted the temptation to walk right out. The room is extremely cluttered- towels, and extra linens just thrown on the shelves. I'm not sure if the bed linens were clean, but they did not smell like they were freshly laundered. On top of that, the pillows were extremely thin, and needless to say, none of us slept well. Then you go beyond the room, and stuff is everywhere- I mean everywhere! The clutter was embarrassing! The lady coughed all night, and we could hear talking late at night which kept us up, on top of the already thin pillows. Then for breakfast- it was O.K., except for the instant coffee, which was disapppointing. You wonder with the house being so dirty and cluttered, you also tend to wonder about the food preparations. Thank goodness we only were there for one night. Overall rating from one to ten- one! Oh, and we also saw the fox roaming around!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Howth hotels

Zuerich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

We had decided to stay at this B&B for its proximity to Dublin Airport, so we had no high strung expectations. But after having toured Ireland and stayed in several B&Bs where we had felt welcome as guests or even friends and had been pampered, Hazelwood made us feel we were mere clients. First: nobody answered the door when we arrived. Second: our room gave the impression of a storage room, with as many beds as possible crammed in. Same in hallways and staircase, not beds, but appliances. Beds and bathroom were ok, breakfast might have been ok, but being served instant coffee made me lose my appetite. The place is somewhat isolated, but walking to the harbour and back is good exercise, especially after a delicious dinner at Cibos on Main Street.

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

This place is good value, and the owners Anne and Pat are very friendly and helpful. I stayed here for two nights on business and recommend it for a clean and cheap bed. Especially good location if you want easy access to airport and city. I'll return.

• Stayed May 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

Okay, I didn't like Dublin at all and I will never tour there again. However, I wish I had stayed downtown at a hotel rather than this B & B. The town of Howth seems like it should be lovely, but it really wasn't to us. It seemed scary and threatening. Graffiti, seedy characters walking the streets off the main strip, and a general air of ickyness seemed prevalent. As far as this B & B, well I started itching when I walked in our room, and lo and behold when I looked out of the window of this home, there were cats walking around. News to me. Later, a red fox (I am not a fan of wild animals) that the owner feeds was there more than once. The place was cluttered from stem to stern with baskets of clutter in all corners and surfaces of the common areas. There was carpeting in all the rooms which seemed old and dirty. The ancient linens and towels were a hodge-podge of discolored and often stained collection. Nothing matched at all. This was not like a normal purpose-built B & B. This was "the kids have grown so now we can use up the bedrooms" and charge $125 a night! What??? I thought they have a lot of nerve charging those kind of prices on top of all that. The owner had other clients who were staying there walking in and out of her kitchen freely. Weird to me. Then she coughed like a maniac while preparing our meager portioned Irish breakfast. That was okay it was, as we lost our appetite after hearing that. I think she had been smoking in her kitchen although no smoking is allowed in the house. May be fine for some, but I was disgusted by all of it.

Stayed June 2007
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

I stayed here for one night and can’t say that I was overly impressed. To be honest, 55 Euros a night for a single room was a little steep for the service. The room I stayed in was very drab and in dire need of a makeover. Perhaps the other rooms were better, I don’t know. The room did have an ensuite (shower, toilet and wash-basin) and it was neat and clean. There was also tea/coffee making facilities available in the room. The TV was hard to watch as the screen was so small but the bed was very comfortable. Can’t comment on the breakfast as I left early but the landlady was friendly enough to offer to leave me out cereals, fruit etc. The main downfall of the place though was I felt it a little bit isolated, which some people may like. It is in a small cul-de-sac amongst Howth suburbia and my personal view is if you stay here you will need a car. There are buses and trains in the area but I can’t really comment as I did not use them. The only real plus for me was the Summit Inn up the road that served good food and drink at reasonable prices. Would I stay here again – no! Over priced and too far away from the action.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Isolation
  • Tips/Secrets — Summit Inn up the road
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo

Been to Hazelwood? Share your experiences!