“Very expensive for what you get!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Loughrea
Cuisines: Irish, Coffee Shop, Tapas, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Hungry Bookworm is a cool place to chill with a book and a glass of wine, or enjoy good company in our great atmosphere. Choose from a variety of delicacies on our very reasonable menu ranging from Spanish tapas to our chef's own variations on classic dishes from around the world. Our highly trained baristas will also be happy to make you any gourmet coffee or tea you feel in the mood for. So pop in, read a book and relax in the warm comfort of The Hungry Bookworm.
“Very expensive for what you get!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I went in with my friends 1 day and as soon as we got in we sat down and waited 45 minutes for service!finally they came and took our order but we waited a further 30 minutes for our food!when the food came I was very disappointed 2 find 2 pancakes with (what ment 2 be crispy bacon ) was fatty sloppy discusting bacon!!!! I think it was too much money 2 pay for the meal and I was disappointed with the service!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Galway, Ireland
“Has so much potential”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've eaten many times in The Hungry Bookworm and have, unfortunately, been disappointed with each experience. The most disappointing of those was when my partner, sister and I decided to treat ourselves to a meal there one early evening. Firstly, although it was not busy, we were waiting about 10 minutes before anyone came to our table to acknowledge us and offer menus. We were given two menus and had to ask for a third. While looking at them we discovered one menu had different items on it to the other two and were confused as to what actually was on the menu! After ordering we were told we'd have to wait twenty minutes for our food so we decided to get a hot drink while waiting. We were waiting another 10 minutes for the hot drinks and just after they arrived our food came out (which didn't complement our food)! We ordered water with our meals that never arrived. After our meal, we waited to order desserts. Nobody came to check if our meal was ok or to clear our plates or offer dessert - basic customer service. In the end we just paid and left. I really couldn't believe how bad the service was after leaving! Having worked in many restaurants as a waitress I was shocked at how disorganised the staff were and how neglectful they were of their customers! I have been back since then hoping that maybe it was a once off bad experience but the service has not improved. On another occassion, my partner went to the counter to order a hot chocolate (as, once again, nobody came to the table after our meal). The waitress very reluctantly took the order, clearly giving him the impression that he was causing her an inconvenience. In my experience the service is chaotic, slow and unprofessional. It's such a shame because it has so much potential in other areas. Very disappointed customer.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Fabulous atmosphere. So relaxing. Staff are great.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Had a wonderful night in Hungry Bookworm. Chicken Salad was so tasty. Sean (waiter) was so pleasant and helpful. Would highly recommend it!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Galway, Ireland
“Tapas menu hidden away in Loughrea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Food is fab and they change the menu every couple of months so customers won't be bored. From meatballs to tortilla to their scrummy falafals every mouthful is a treat. On your own or with friends this is a little gem that deserves respect, chill our for an hour or two or just grab and go, this a favourite haunt of mine when I visit Loughrea. Keep up the good work

Visited January 2013
EIre
“Could be fantastic ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just visited here for an afternoon coffee and scone with my son. After being offered a wide variety of scones, each one we asked for was not available. My son's scone arrived 10mins later (we were sitting beside the counter!). Another 10mins later, still no sign of my scone or our latte and hot chocolate. When my scone finally came, it was so hard I couldn't even break it, nevermind cut it or eat it! I alerted the waitress to this and she took it away. A further 5 mins later the coffee and hot chocolate finally arrived and to my disappointment there was a slight sour smell off the milk in my latte. The place has so much potential and I have previously had good coffee and food, however the service has never been up to scratch and it has definitely gotten worse.

• Visited June 2013