“Not to be missed!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thomastown, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Thomastown
“Not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed last night in utter luxury in this wonderful hotel! Palatial room in the manor house, complete with 7' bed and French doors to a walled garden. Dined on their superb 8 course tasting menu in the Lady Helen restaurant. Relaxed in the lovely leisure centre. Staff throughout excellent. Wonderful breakfast this morning. We will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the original manor house. Cannot comment on accomodation in Clubhouse.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Christmas at Mount Juliet was a tempting prospect which this writer had considered for a few years, but we could not tear ourselves away from our Christmas preferences in South Kerry - something about old habits… We always really enjoyed our Christmas stays in Kerry’s best hotels. However, Christmas 2012 was to be spent at Mount Juliet and its peaceful stud farm estate traversed as it is by the beautiful river Nore. And we certainly had no regrets!

As always we were welcomed back, only this time the General Manager was there in person at the front door. Reception was good as always. After the long journey from Ulster I gave up rather impetuously after some minutes of queuing at reception and I withdrew to the bar for a short time for a coffee because of others checking in and I could see that the young receptionist was doing her best to cope all alone.

Accommodation was as expected/requested on the ground floor (a different part of the main house to our previous stays). Having side-stepped a kind offer of our ‘usual room’ which is a higher grade room, I was wondering afterwards how it would work out. i had stayed on the ground floor once before on my own and enjoyed it, so was confident that we would hardly be disappointed. We were not disappointed. Very comfortable and peaceful as always! One minute’s walk to the Lady Helen or the Tetrarch Bar – heaven for someone who had worked fifty and sixty hours per week in a stressful job for several months on end!

The Christmas schedule was a quiet affair which suited us, although another couple were to disclose over a drink during our stay that it was too quiet for them. True enough the entertainment in Mr Jenks’s Bar on one evening was a drab enough performance and as it was the only such entertainment it stood out all the more. The solo guitarist was rather melancholic and demonstrated few social skills in his communication with his small audience. That was the only negative of the entire stay and other guests remarked similarly to me.

From John and John (the Carlow brigade) at the front door to Jakob and Eugene in the bar, Louise and her colleagues in Reception, and of course the excellent Aga in Lady Helen to the kitchen staff and accommodation staff, we were treated very, very well. Thank you for making Christmas 2012 a nice memory!

Christmas lunch was in Kendals which is a short walk from the main house. Although a different kitchen and a different team to Lady Helen, it competed well and was a most enjoyable lunch. The menu was noteworthy and service excellent. One of the attentive porters in the main house offered to transport us in the courtesy car to/from Kendals but we opted for the welcome walk. Indeed a pre-lunch walk in the crisp winter air by the banks of the Nore was envigorating.

Earlier in the morning indeed we had been kindly offered courtesy transportation to/from a local church service which I had made an enquiry about as to the time of service. We declined but were grateful for the kind offer. Later indeed we passed the courtesy car on its way to the village with other guests.

Although I had been told some weeks earlier that the house was to be full of guests for Christmas, it did not seem so to us when we were there. Not an issue for us. There was plenty of seating free, even in the bar before dinner, or later in The Major’s Room. In fact this writer felt just a tad guilty talking in the bar over a drink with a very interesting barman – because I was the only guest present there at 11pm on Cristmas eve. It was a good deal more populated on the night of 27th. Christmas night was also quiet but I felt compelled to go and keep another very pleasant barman company for a while.

I remember sitting in the Morning Room with an open log fire and a good book, and very attentive staff who later served some lovely food to my wife and me. Blissful!

The Lady Helen’s opulent setting and really great food is always the highlight of any stay. It thoroughly deserves its three rosettes. There is almost no other hotel restaurant in Ireland which consistently serves such high quality food. Congratulations to all concerned! It surely deserves greater recognition.

Breakfasts were again very enjoyable, much of it due to the hard work of the senior staff, and cook of course!

Whilst I have to be honest and say that I had observed a few basic oversights and repeated blunders in recent visits made by trainee/student waiting staff in Mount Juliet, there was no such inexperience evident this time.

It was my wife’s birthday on 26th December and although we did not mention it I may have said something when choosing a nice bottle of wine from Aga. It was a very nice touch to find that when petit fours were served there was a subtle birthday congratulatory greeting created with chocolate on the serving slate. It was a lovely surprise delivered by Aga who for us is the star of evening dining at Lady Helen.

Christmas at Mount Juliet met all our wishes. We thank you for the wonderful surprise delivery to our room during our stay. Still enjoying! Thank you for a lovely relaxed Christmas.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I love mount Juliet really I do. I have been going there annually for over 10 years now. Last year I took a few days out during the summer as usual and enjoyed my stay. The equestrian centre is always a pleasure with really nice staff.
This wasn't first time staying in the club house rather than the main house. The rooms are pretty small in the club house, mine was very "compact". To be honest it was not much cheaper than staying at the main house but was not 5 star standard.
I always eat in the lady Helen restaurant which is always excellent. This time however, I felt extremely rushed by staff , who were bordering on rude at times.
There was not much time between courses even, I could not understand the rush as the dining room was half empty.
This time I actually took some time out to pay attention to detail and it needs a complete updating on decor. Frayed material on chairs, worn bed sheets just doesn't cut it for 5 star these days. Especially now people are looking for more value for money. The leisure centre is very small with limited extras, not 5 star.
I always imagined my wedding at mount Juliet but I'm having a rethink. Maybe it's a break I need from it to explore other 5 star hotels. One problem is any I've visited so far have been better value and more luxurious. The golf course cannot be beaten however. This year I will break a tradition and not visit. I will miss my annual mount Juliet stay but if there is value and luxury to be had for less elsewhere then I will give it a try!

• Stayed June 2012
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Myself and my husband spent two nights in Mount Juliet for a friends wedding last week. We stayed in the second bridal suite - no words to describe the luxury - Absolutely fabulous! Arrived and went to our fabulous room where my husband took some time out in the four poster bed, while I went to the spa for a pedicure and facial - Amazing - Fell asleep it was soooo relaxing - Just what I needed being 7months pregnant. Went to Kendals restaurant in the Hunters yard the first night - really good food and a nice glass of house red - Yummy..... Being pregnant we called the shuttle bus to collect us. Brought from door to door - excellent service! Wedding on the Friday. To start the day, the breakfast was excellent and we were well fed for the day. The wedding - well what can I say - It was a fantastic day! Room, Ceremony, drinks reception, meal and entertainment were all five star quality! Great day and night had by all! Thanks to all involved for making our stay so enjoyable - Great break away!!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the river have a fantastic view! If you can afford to stay in one of the suites, I...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Strasbourg, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The GOOD:
The old mansion and its setting.
The rooms are spacious.
The history of the place.
The en suites use Acca Kappa White Musk.
The hotel is near Kells medieval walled town, which is worth a visit, as is Jerpoint Abbey.

The BAD:
Breakfast service by waiters needs a lot of improvement.
Instead of setting tables for guests who might or might not arrive, waiters should attend to the guests actually in the room, such as checking for milk refills and tea refills and butter refills.
Not one glance was cast in the way of our or any other table to check all was in order. I would say it was wilful evasion.
There were 2 slices of toast for 3 people, in effect a half slice for every person -
the so called 5 star hotel seems to be rationing food.
The toast was served immediately after being seated.
No more was offered when main breakfast came.
2 persons had the full Irish breakfast which was satisfactory, except no toast to eat with it.
1 person in the group went for the "Chef's Special", Boxty (similar to potato cakes) with Eggs, thinking it's great that an Irish hotel is doing something traditionally Irish.
Unfortunately that's where the surprise ended and the shock began.
2 tiny ultra floury potato cakes arrived which didn't have any taste of potato.
Furthermore if one took any of the Chef's Specials that ruled out taking the continental breakfast according to the hotel.
The hotel doesn't satisfy hunger.
The room service menu, the club house menu and the restaurants' menus all have pretty limited choices.
5 of the 25 TV channels the hotel claims to have in its TV guide are not in Rooms 15 and 16 at least.
No biscuits provided with the tea and coffee in the rooms.
Several pages from the hotel services book were torn out in both rooms 15 and 16.
Attention to detail is lacking.
The hotel should check out Fitzwilliam Hotel in Dublin to sample a 5 star hotel's breakfast.
I got one follow up phone call but the second promised follow up phone call never materialised.
The hotel management rely too much on the house history and the golf clientele to see them through and not enough on service levels.

Room Tip: 15 and 16 are in a wing of the house to themselves and are large rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at Mount Juliet for two nights between Christmas and New Year with some of my family. We had a lovely stay, the staff and friendly and welcoming, and the hotel was very nicely decorated for Christmas. We ate in the brasserie in the Golf Club on our first night and the food was excellent - we had the tasting menu in the Lady Helen restaurant on our second night and it was just excellent - great service, amazing food and great wines. Mount Juliet is a really beautiful setting and there are lots of lovely walks around the estate. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We had 2 nights in Rose lodge between Christmas and new years eve. Both adults and children (10, 6 and 4) were very happy. Great pool, great pony trek, friendly service, good food(though not perfect). We all left feeling relaxed and looking forward to next stay.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!