“Pure Luxury!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thomastown
Limerick, Ireland
“Pure Luxury!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Myself and my husband spent two nights in Mount Juliet for a friends wedding last week. We stayed in the second bridal suite - no words to describe the luxury - Absolutely fabulous! Arrived and went to our fabulous room where my husband took some time out in the four poster bed, while I went to the spa for a pedicure and facial - Amazing - Fell asleep it was soooo relaxing - Just what I needed being 7months pregnant. Went to Kendals restaurant in the Hunters yard the first night - really good food and a nice glass of house red - Yummy..... Being pregnant we called the shuttle bus to collect us. Brought from door to door - excellent service! Wedding on the Friday. To start the day, the breakfast was excellent and we were well fed for the day. The wedding - well what can I say - It was a fantastic day! Room, Ceremony, drinks reception, meal and entertainment were all five star quality! Great day and night had by all! Thanks to all involved for making our stay so enjoyable - Great break away!!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the river have a fantastic view! If you can afford to stay in one of the suites, I...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Strasbourg, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The GOOD:
The old mansion and its setting.
The rooms are spacious.
The history of the place.
The en suites use Acca Kappa White Musk.
The hotel is near Kells medieval walled town, which is worth a visit, as is Jerpoint Abbey.

The BAD:
Breakfast service by waiters needs a lot of improvement.
Instead of setting tables for guests who might or might not arrive, waiters should attend to the guests actually in the room, such as checking for milk refills and tea refills and butter refills.
Not one glance was cast in the way of our or any other table to check all was in order. I would say it was wilful evasion.
There were 2 slices of toast for 3 people, in effect a half slice for every person -
the so called 5 star hotel seems to be rationing food.
The toast was served immediately after being seated.
No more was offered when main breakfast came.
2 persons had the full Irish breakfast which was satisfactory, except no toast to eat with it.
1 person in the group went for the "Chef's Special", Boxty (similar to potato cakes) with Eggs, thinking it's great that an Irish hotel is doing something traditionally Irish.
Unfortunately that's where the surprise ended and the shock began.
2 tiny ultra floury potato cakes arrived which didn't have any taste of potato.
Furthermore if one took any of the Chef's Specials that ruled out taking the continental breakfast according to the hotel.
The hotel doesn't satisfy hunger.
The room service menu, the club house menu and the restaurants' menus all have pretty limited choices.
5 of the 25 TV channels the hotel claims to have in its TV guide are not in Rooms 15 and 16 at least.
No biscuits provided with the tea and coffee in the rooms.
Several pages from the hotel services book were torn out in both rooms 15 and 16.
Attention to detail is lacking.
The hotel should check out Fitzwilliam Hotel in Dublin to sample a 5 star hotel's breakfast.
I got one follow up phone call but the second promised follow up phone call never materialised.
The hotel management rely too much on the house history and the golf clientele to see them through and not enough on service levels.

Room Tip: 15 and 16 are in a wing of the house to themselves and are large rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at Mount Juliet for two nights between Christmas and New Year with some of my family. We had a lovely stay, the staff and friendly and welcoming, and the hotel was very nicely decorated for Christmas. We ate in the brasserie in the Golf Club on our first night and the food was excellent - we had the tasting menu in the Lady Helen restaurant on our second night and it was just excellent - great service, amazing food and great wines. Mount Juliet is a really beautiful setting and there are lots of lovely walks around the estate. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had 2 nights in Rose lodge between Christmas and new years eve. Both adults and children (10, 6 and 4) were very happy. Great pool, great pony trek, friendly service, good food(though not perfect). We all left feeling relaxed and looking forward to next stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We recently attended the wedding of my brother and his new wife at Mount Juliet. I am usually critical of hotels as I stay in them frequently for business, on this occasion I am floored as I have very little to complain about. My only slight negative comment was the price difference between the bar in the club house and the main house. I appreciate it is more beautiful surroundings but a difference of €1.50 for a glass if wine is a bit extreme. Otherwise a fantastic weekend....

Room Tip: Room 2 and 3 in the main house have their own private courtyard garden.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kilkenny, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visited Santa on 21st Dec- very disappointing experience compared to last year, felt it was all about money grabbing this year as 2 trains were booked to go at the same time with the result that checking in area was too small for such crowds & waiting area to see Mrs Claus was completely overcrowded! Mrs Claus did a great job - felt reindeer kept in a small enclosed space & Santa train very disappointing - very poor lighting along the way. Our wait for Santa was not very long but Santa himself was very poor (had an accent) & was hardly able to engage the children in conversation! (Plus being able to hear other Santa's close by did not help!) We will not return next year! Car park too dark also for walk from xmas village to santa check in. Way too commercialised & not enough Xmas magic!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

A group of us stayed here recently for a work function and we were all very impressed. I haven't stopped talking about my stay since, it was so good! The room was amazing, the staff were very attentive (although the reception staff could be a little friendlier. I was surprised that they didn't ask how I enjoyed my stay when I was checking out) Everyone from the doorman, the bar staff, the restaurant staff, the people in the equestrian centre helped make the stay an enjoyable one. I did horseriding for the first time and loved the experience at Mount Juliet. The grounds are extensive and this was a lovely way to get a tour of the grounds. The horse trainer was really good and is really sensitive to your ability. Some of the others in our group did the clay pigeon shooting and this also sounded like fun.
The meal was superb. The table setting was ideal for our group size as you could hear what everyone around the table was saying. The meal itself was amazing but I would say that the wine pairing was a little on the generous side with the amount that was poured out. I expected small glasses of wine and couldn't finish any of it! But you got a selection of different wines to match each course which was great and I guess the larger glasses mean it is better value...We had the 8 course gourmet taster meal and the food was well selected and very well cooked. Really enjoyable and must be close to Michelan star standard with its taste and inventive dishes.
As for the rooms, well we stayed in the main house and the room I had was fab. It had everything you would expect from a luxury hotel like this and it was a decent size too. The bed was really comfy as well and the view was looking across rolling countryside.
I really can't wait to go back to Mount Juliet, I have been looking at their website already to see when I can return!! I knew it would be a nice place to stay but didn't realise just how nice it is until I stayed there.

Room Tip: The main house has lovely rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!