“New Year's Day check-in” 2 of 5 stars

Thomastown, Ireland   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Thomastown
Strasbourg, France
“New Year's Day check-in”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The GOOD:
The old mansion and its setting.
The rooms are spacious.
The history of the place.
The en suites use Acca Kappa White Musk.
The hotel is near Kells medieval walled town, which is worth a visit, as is Jerpoint Abbey.

The BAD:
Breakfast service by waiters needs a lot of improvement.
Instead of setting tables for guests who might or might not arrive, waiters should attend to the guests actually in the room, such as checking for milk refills and tea refills and butter refills.
Not one glance was cast in the way of our or any other table to check all was in order. I would say it was wilful evasion.
There were 2 slices of toast for 3 people, in effect a half slice for every person -
the so called 5 star hotel seems to be rationing food.
The toast was served immediately after being seated.
No more was offered when main breakfast came.
2 persons had the full Irish breakfast which was satisfactory, except no toast to eat with it.
1 person in the group went for the "Chef's Special", Boxty (similar to potato cakes) with Eggs, thinking it's great that an Irish hotel is doing something traditionally Irish.
Unfortunately that's where the surprise ended and the shock began.
2 tiny ultra floury potato cakes arrived which didn't have any taste of potato.
Furthermore if one took any of the Chef's Specials that ruled out taking the continental breakfast according to the hotel.
The hotel doesn't satisfy hunger.
The room service menu, the club house menu and the restaurants' menus all have pretty limited choices.
5 of the 25 TV channels the hotel claims to have in its TV guide are not in Rooms 15 and 16 at least.
No biscuits provided with the tea and coffee in the rooms.
Several pages from the hotel services book were torn out in both rooms 15 and 16.
Attention to detail is lacking.
The hotel should check out Fitzwilliam Hotel in Dublin to sample a 5 star hotel's breakfast.
I got one follow up phone call but the second promised follow up phone call never materialised.
The hotel management rely too much on the house history and the golf clientele to see them through and not enough on service levels.

Room Tip: 15 and 16 are in a wing of the house to themselves and are large rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

505 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at Mount Juliet for two nights between Christmas and New Year with some of my family. We had a lovely stay, the staff and friendly and welcoming, and the hotel was very nicely decorated for Christmas. We ate in the brasserie in the Golf Club on our first night and the food was excellent - we had the tasting menu in the Lady Helen restaurant on our second night and it was just excellent - great service, amazing food and great wines. Mount Juliet is a really beautiful setting and there are lots of lovely walks around the estate. I would highly recommend it.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We had 2 nights in Rose lodge between Christmas and new years eve. Both adults and children (10, 6 and 4) were very happy. Great pool, great pony trek, friendly service, good food(though not perfect). We all left feeling relaxed and looking forward to next stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We recently attended the wedding of my brother and his new wife at Mount Juliet. I am usually critical of hotels as I stay in them frequently for business, on this occasion I am floored as I have very little to complain about. My only slight negative comment was the price difference between the bar in the club house and the main house. I appreciate it is more beautiful surroundings but a difference of €1.50 for a glass if wine is a bit extreme. Otherwise a fantastic weekend....

Room Tip: Room 2 and 3 in the main house have their own private courtyard garden.
Kilkenny, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visited Santa on 21st Dec- very disappointing experience compared to last year, felt it was all about money grabbing this year as 2 trains were booked to go at the same time with the result that checking in area was too small for such crowds & waiting area to see Mrs Claus was completely overcrowded! Mrs Claus did a great job - felt reindeer kept in a small enclosed space & Santa train very disappointing - very poor lighting along the way. Our wait for Santa was not very long but Santa himself was very poor (had an accent) & was hardly able to engage the children in conversation! (Plus being able to hear other Santa's close by did not help!) We will not return next year! Car park too dark also for walk from xmas village to santa check in. Way too commercialised & not enough Xmas magic!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

A group of us stayed here recently for a work function and we were all very impressed. I haven't stopped talking about my stay since, it was so good! The room was amazing, the staff were very attentive (although the reception staff could be a little friendlier. I was surprised that they didn't ask how I enjoyed my stay when I was checking out) Everyone from the doorman, the bar staff, the restaurant staff, the people in the equestrian centre helped make the stay an enjoyable one. I did horseriding for the first time and loved the experience at Mount Juliet. The grounds are extensive and this was a lovely way to get a tour of the grounds. The horse trainer was really good and is really sensitive to your ability. Some of the others in our group did the clay pigeon shooting and this also sounded like fun.
The meal was superb. The table setting was ideal for our group size as you could hear what everyone around the table was saying. The meal itself was amazing but I would say that the wine pairing was a little on the generous side with the amount that was poured out. I expected small glasses of wine and couldn't finish any of it! But you got a selection of different wines to match each course which was great and I guess the larger glasses mean it is better value...We had the 8 course gourmet taster meal and the food was well selected and very well cooked. Really enjoyable and must be close to Michelan star standard with its taste and inventive dishes.
As for the rooms, well we stayed in the main house and the room I had was fab. It had everything you would expect from a luxury hotel like this and it was a decent size too. The bed was really comfy as well and the view was looking across rolling countryside.
I really can't wait to go back to Mount Juliet, I have been looking at their website already to see when I can return!! I knew it would be a nice place to stay but didn't realise just how nice it is until I stayed there.

Room Tip: The main house has lovely rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Waterford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was a wonderful experience from start to finish. Can I just start by praising Mt. Juliet for brilliant organisation - from the moment you register and check in the organisation is superb. The little touches are there with Santas Elf reading out details about our little man when he walked in - a small but classy touch.

Mrs. Claus storytime was great fun, a really well decorated and themed room, lovely warm personalty in Mrs. Claus. The Train ride was fun - I see other people commenting on the lack of lights etc.. along the route - ok fair enough, but it was sold as a train to see Santa at the end of it, if it was sold as a magical train ride maybe I'd take exception, but it did what it said on the tin, the conductor elf was good craic, and it was extremely pleasant. Santa himself was wonderful, beautifully decorated grotto, nice friendly manner with the kids and a nice gift.

All in all well done Mt. Juliet - a wonderful experience, we will be back next year - it was tremendous value for money - you get over an hours entertainment for the admission fee - that is so worth it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!