“Fab!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Thomastown
Cork, Ireland
“Fab!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

A group of us stayed here recently for a work function and we were all very impressed. I haven't stopped talking about my stay since, it was so good! The room was amazing, the staff were very attentive (although the reception staff could be a little friendlier. I was surprised that they didn't ask how I enjoyed my stay when I was checking out) Everyone from the doorman, the bar staff, the restaurant staff, the people in the equestrian centre helped make the stay an enjoyable one. I did horseriding for the first time and loved the experience at Mount Juliet. The grounds are extensive and this was a lovely way to get a tour of the grounds. The horse trainer was really good and is really sensitive to your ability. Some of the others in our group did the clay pigeon shooting and this also sounded like fun.
The meal was superb. The table setting was ideal for our group size as you could hear what everyone around the table was saying. The meal itself was amazing but I would say that the wine pairing was a little on the generous side with the amount that was poured out. I expected small glasses of wine and couldn't finish any of it! But you got a selection of different wines to match each course which was great and I guess the larger glasses mean it is better value...We had the 8 course gourmet taster meal and the food was well selected and very well cooked. Really enjoyable and must be close to Michelan star standard with its taste and inventive dishes.
As for the rooms, well we stayed in the main house and the room I had was fab. It had everything you would expect from a luxury hotel like this and it was a decent size too. The bed was really comfy as well and the view was looking across rolling countryside.
I really can't wait to go back to Mount Juliet, I have been looking at their website already to see when I can return!! I knew it would be a nice place to stay but didn't realise just how nice it is until I stayed there.

Room Tip: The main house has lovely rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Waterford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was a wonderful experience from start to finish. Can I just start by praising Mt. Juliet for brilliant organisation - from the moment you register and check in the organisation is superb. The little touches are there with Santas Elf reading out details about our little man when he walked in - a small but classy touch.

Mrs. Claus storytime was great fun, a really well decorated and themed room, lovely warm personalty in Mrs. Claus. The Train ride was fun - I see other people commenting on the lack of lights etc.. along the route - ok fair enough, but it was sold as a train to see Santa at the end of it, if it was sold as a magical train ride maybe I'd take exception, but it did what it said on the tin, the conductor elf was good craic, and it was extremely pleasant. Santa himself was wonderful, beautifully decorated grotto, nice friendly manner with the kids and a nice gift.

All in all well done Mt. Juliet - a wonderful experience, we will be back next year - it was tremendous value for money - you get over an hours entertainment for the admission fee - that is so worth it!

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I booked the santa train for my 3 year old son, Isaac this year and all of us couldn't wait... the day arrived and i must say, Mount Juliet and it's grounds looked splended.. from the friendly staff welcoming us to the Christmas market's, all in all it created a great festive athmosphere. The santa experience was great, while there was a small delay it didnt diminish the overall experience and in fact it probably made Isaac more excited, isnt that what it's all about! We stayed over-night in the The King of Ossory, a beautiful manor house room, the only down side to our stay was, no room service and if so we couldn't find any menu or get in-touch with anybody to even ask. We are considering our family vacation in MJ next year.

Room Tip: Room 5, The King of Ossory a manor house room in the main house.
Waterford, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We booked the Santa Train in Mount Juliet this year as we had heard how great it was. We arrived to what I would say was a cattle mart, we got to hear Mrs Claus story and brought to the train, I was thinking that the train was the best part from all the reviews I thought it would have had the grounds lit up a bit better down the back of the golf course was just fields with a few reindeer lit up we were very disappointed. We then were brought into the waiting area for Santa where the previous hour families had still not seen santa, we were then made to lie up and wait for our names to be called. we eventaully after 50 minutes got to see Santa which I was really disappointed with as there was no photo to be taken with him. only for I had my phone with me we would have no memory of Santa 2012. I wouldnt have even minded paying for the photo on the day seen as the train had been booked well in advance. We had been to Tayto World last year which was a lot more enjoyable experience and we will be going back there next year. overall we were very disappointed with the experience of Santa in Mount Juliet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to the Santa Train at Mount Juliet.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced which is very much regretted. I would like to assure you that we have since made changes to certain areas in order to make the whole Santa Train experience more enjoyable for our guests. However, I regret that this was not in place for your visit.

Thank you again for taking the time to relay your experience to us, and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards.

Yours sincerely,

William Kirby
General Manager,
Mount Juliet Resort.
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have just returned back from Mount Juliet where my wife and I stayed for a very short break to celebrate our wedding anniversary. From the time we arrived to the time we left, we both had an incredible time. In fact, we both commented that we could not believe how quick the weekend went. There were many highlights from the bottle of wine in our room (to congratulate us on our anniversary) to the food which was simply outstanding.

However, there was one person that represented Mount Juliet brilliantly. Her name was Alex and she was our waitress on Saturday night in Kendal’s.

Alex was Friendly, knowledgeable, professional and very outgoing. In these tough times, we tend to concentrate on the bad things and not spend any time on the good things.

I would appreciate it if you could please pass on our thanks to Alex for making this weekend one of the best we have ever had,

Hopefully, we get to do this again next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Myself, my wife, our 2 friends and 3 kids stayed for a Friday night last week. Everything was as good as a 5 star hotel should be. On arrival the first thing I noticed was a nice welcoming note left by the General Manager, Mr Kirby. Also, the Kids beds were made up with care and attention as is the case with every aspect. Stay here once in your life so you can see what a true 5 star property should be like.

Room Tip: The Rose Garden Lodges..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I go there every year and the afternoon tea is excellent. The service is excellent and they are really friendly. Very accommodating for whatever the children wanted and the main hotel is beautifully decorated and peaceful.

Room Tip: Choose the main house as it has lovely views
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!