“Heavenly steaks and friendly service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour Browns Steakhouse.

Harbour Browns Steakhouse.
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Cobh
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Heavenly steaks and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had researched this restaurant on tripadviser before travelling to Ireland and decided it was the place I'd wanted to have my birthday dinner at. I do love and know steaks after working in a steakhouse for years and I was looking forward to a well cooked lump of meat :) And I wasn't disappointed! Having asked for a difficult to cook sirloin on the rare side of medium-rare it arrived cooked to perfection! The beef was clearly well matured and expertly cut. The accompanying garlic and herb butter was home made as I believe were the hand cut chips, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The mushrooms were flavourful and the onions not too soft. I wasn't too keen on the peppercorn sauce my husband had, but he enjoyed it well enough. Clearly here is a chef at work who knows what he is doing! We ordered a side dish of vegetables and got a dish with what I think was mashed swede, carrots and red cabbage. Now, I have tried to get my teenage daughter to eat red cabbage for years, but she always said mine was too vinegary. Here we got a red cabbage cooked with apple to add a bit more sweetness and for the first time my daughter liked red cabbage! We were served by the chef's wife and mentioned that we had intended to visit the restaurant on the next night (Monday) for my birthday dinner but when passing had noticed that it would be closed and so decided to have our celebration a day early. A few minutes later she and the assistant cook arrived at our table with a free desert singing "Happy Birthday". Such a lovely gesture, it finished off a perfect evening. In fact, we enjoyed our meal so much that we went back on our last evening! And the steaks were even better, if that is possible! The only "hair in the soup" was the temperature in the restaurant, I seriously considered keeping my coat on over my cardigan. Even my husband thought it was a bit chilly, and he doesn't normally feel the cold.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Southlake, Texas
“Cobh's Best Kept Local Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was my wife's and my second trip to Ireland, so we were hoping to find a memorable place to dine to celebrate our recent marriage. Harbour Brown's Steakhouse fit the bill exactly, and this was due to the impeccable and capable service provided by our waiter Trevor. Walking in the door to this fine establishment set the stage for the dinner itself. Trevor was highly interactive, knowledgeable, and an outstandingly delightful gent.We enjoyed the conversation with him as much as we did the fine cuisine that came from the kitchen. Both of us ordered the steak which was one of the best cuts ever delivered to our table. The salad was unique and made of the freshest local produce available. The Chilean merlot paired beautifully with the entrees, and the profiteroles dessert was delicious and artistically presented. Harbour Brown's is reasonably priced for the quality of food and service the customer receives. Both of us felt that this dinner was one of the most memorable experiences we have had in Ireland. Our sincerest thanks to Trevor and the chef for making this such a memorable dinner; you are truly what Irish hospitality is all about. We look forward to our next trip and the opportunity to revisit this outstanding and special local restaurant.

-- Ken and Maggie GEORGE, Southlake TX

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Limerick, Ireland
“Excellent steak and friendly customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I visited this restaurant based on the other reviews on tripadvisor and was not disappointed. The food was excellent and the service was friendly without being intrusive. Both steaks were excellent quality and dessert was delicious. Would highly recommend to anyone that happens to be in the area and looking for a good meal at an affordable price.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent steak and friendly service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I visited this place tonight due to the previous reviews. As it was mid week in out of season, it was really quiet.

However, it turned out to be a really good choice. I ate from the early bird set menu, which had a range of different options for each course. My starter of potato skins with cheese and bacon, and garlic mayonnaise was served quickly. Unlike a lot of places that I have had potato skins before, these were more lime wedges so were not dried out of difficult to bite through.

My main course was a sirloin steak, served on a bed of mushroom and onion. It was one of the best steaks I have ever had, cooked to perfection. I also asked if I could have a pepper sauce, which I was given without additional charge along with some onion rings. The profiteroles were also delicious.

As it was so quiet, there was only one waiter working. He recommended an excellent wine from the wine list. I mentioned to him that I wanted to do the walking tour in Cobh the following day but had been unable to book due to arriving late in the day. He knew the man who ran the tours personally, and called him for me to book my place. He was also happy to recommend local pubs for me to try, and to chat about the history of the town.

I'd recommend this place to anyone who was in Cobh.

Dublin, Ireland
“Great food, great service, very friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Just had a great fillet steak done to perfection. Veg perfect. Kids chicken Goujons had great texture. One of the kids not sure about dessert so friendly staff brought a Profiteroles sample to test. Great Steak House!