“Ideal Central Location for touring West Cork and Kerry” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Quay, Bantry, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bantry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin
“Ideal Central Location for touring West Cork and Kerry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The Maritime Hotel is a modern, busy , friendly, comfortable hotel in Bantry which is ideally located for touring the West Cork area. The staff are friendly and efficient. The daily breakfast was buffet style with daily specials and very efficient friendly staff. Our room which looked out over the harbour was serviced daily to a good standard. The menu in the dining room for dinner had some good seafood dishes which we loved. The bar staff were also friendly and there was entertainment every night.
We would go back there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are front facing
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear simartanna

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I was particularly pleased with your comment that the staff were "friendly and efficient" which I'm sure all the team here will appreciate also. I am glad you found the hotel so good and central to visiting all the lovely parts of West Cork.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights with our 2 kids and really enjoyed it. The staff are exceptionally friendly and can't do enough, the hotel and facilities are so lovely. We had a suite and it was so comfortable for us and the kids. The breakfast was the best I've had since the last time I was there! We'll definitely be back!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Maeve O

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel with your family. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and particularly pleased with your comments on the team here and how they could not do enough for you. I will be passing your comments to all the crew and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am. Look forward to having you return in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My wife and I were very impressed with this hotel. The staff couldn't do enough to ensure our stay was comfortable. Food in the restaurant was very reasonably priced and just what we needed after a day in the hills. We stayed 3 nights over the Easter weekend and found the hotel a great base for touring in the region. We splurged a little bit and stayed in one of the penthouse apartments and really enjoyed spending time on the large balcony overlooking Bantry Bay. We are early birds and so we went out for some exercise in the morning and then returned for their most excellent breakfast. Apart from the usual fare they had a "breakfast special" every morning. We mixed and matched and always left the table deeply satisfied.

If you're coming to this part of Ireland I really don't think you could be disappointed with a stay in the Maritime Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear daubyb

Thank you for your kind review which you posted recently on Tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed the stay and the area while you were with us at the Maritime. I was particularly pleased with your comments on the team here and the value of your stay. I will be passing them on to all our team and I'm sure they will be as pleased as I am.

Again my thanks & kind regards

Manager.
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have just had lunch in the maritime. Service excellent, polite and non intrusive. I had an open smoked salmon sandwich. I have never been given so much delicious salmon on one plate! Accompanied with brown bread, potato salad, coleslaw, green salad, tomatoes ....... This was a very big plate. Sooo cheap! Definitely no profit made by this hotel. Can't wait to dine there again.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear TessO2014

Thank you for the lovely Tripadvisor review about your recent lunch in the Maritime bar recently. Our aim is to offer good value and excellent service which I'm delighted we have managed with you on this occasion.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

What a disappointment. The pictures on their website are either photoshop'd or from years ago. We had a suite that faced the bay, but was on a lower level that the street noise was like being in New York (guests should be warned or put on a higher level). The glass windows looked like they weren't cleaned in months. You could see glass stains on the coffee table and side tables from poor house keeping. Furniture was worn in the room, lobby and common areas. We went down to the indoor pool and it was more like a gym locker pool then a spa looking pool. We couldn't wait to LEAVE! Staff was nice and polite. The roof top area (which is depicted in a few photos) was closed due to weather ( no fault of the staff). It is a 3 star at best (American standards)....

Room Tip: Don't pay for an upgrade to a suite or to a bay/water view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie A

Thank you for your revent Tripadvisor review about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion, however, I was pleased with your comments regarding the team here. I will be taking in to consideration all of your comments and we have an ongoingt programme of refurbishment of the property furnishings.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We have visited the Maritime about twice yearly for the last 6 years and we always enjoy the experience! The hotel is consistently excellent!
The rooms are air- conditioned, large, lovely decor with a different colour for each level making it easy to recognise your floor from the lifts! We stayed for a week this time and were not disappointed; the staff are lovely and will use your name regularly.
Breakfast is v. good with some added hot dishes each day....porridge mmm! Kippers, Eggs Benedict, pancakes, even kidneys were on offer one morning, as well as usual Irish breakfast, breads, fruit, honey, jams, scones, cold meats, cheese.
Good value lunches are available in the bar and you can eat there all day. We had coffee n sandwiches to our room once and they were perfect. Dinner is available in the restaurant but there are so many fab restaurants in Bantry, wet are out every night. The hotel needs to research their menus to encourage us to eat in the lovely restaurant.
The pool and surrounding area is in excellent condition and well-run by the excellent James and team!
The people on reception are very friendly and professional and worked well under the pressures that the West Cork Literary Festival must have added to their busy summer.
There is a small area of hoarding across the road...a relic of the recession but raise your eyes a little and you have Bantry Bay and Whiddy Island to feast you eyes on!
Bantry is a lovely old-fashioned Irish town with fab restaurants, you can park your car in the hotel's underground carpark for free and you won't need to move it until you leave...Bantry House n gardens etc are all minutes walking away!
Relax n enjoy a holiday in the Maritime Hotel in Bantry!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for your very kind Tripadvisor review. I am only sorry that you are not fully identifiable and I would have used you name also in this letter. It was overl,y generous and I sincerely hope that we can continue to offer you the best of service which you so obviously have repeatedly received over the years with us.

Again thanks & regards

Crewe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

I have to start by saying that this hotel was a huge disappointment. We left Cork and drove to it full of expectations. It looked good on-line and my fellow Trip Advisor reviewers, seemed to report favourably on it.

Our lingering memories of this hotel will be the vivid blue hoardings across the road which partly obscured our view of the bay, the main road beneath our window and the dark depressing colours which abound.

We stayed for 2 days and were unlucky to be there when the outside temperatures were around 30'C. Our room was stiflingly hot. No A/C! So we opened the windows to be met with traffic noise, especially the lorries that pass by in abundance. Then there were the bright blue hoardings obscuring building work across the road from the hotel through which there was the narrow access to the underground car park. So much for "the fantastic views."

Our arrival and check-in was not a happy experience. There was a wedding that day and reception was full of wedding guests just hanging about, getting in the way. There were insufficient staff at reception to deal with what was going on. After a 20 min wait we were dealt with in a somewhat perfunctory manner. Not rudely may I say, but not with the smile and friendliness I've come to expect in Ireland. The girl at reception tried to explain the somewhat complicated route from the main building to the "annexe", where we were to be housed, and the underground car park, and rushed through it all in a jiffy, as a result getting around was, initially, tricky.

Getting from the underground car park to our room, with luggage, was not easy, the lift was like an oven. The lights in the ceiling made being in the lift like being on a kitchen "pass".

The in room WiFi, was hopeless. A member of staff brought a signal booster, told us it would take 10 mins to boot up, and left. It still didn't work! So another member of staff came up to tell us that the first one hadn't connected it up properly. Even when "connected" properly the WiFi connection wasn't good!

Sleeping was not easy a hot & noisy room! We had to have the windows open to let air in. The staff did provide a fan which helped, a little. The decor in our allocated room wasn't pleasing to our eyes. The room was clean. The towels were of good quality on day 1, but day 2 .... oh dear! They were frayed, thin and small, I think a charity shop would have put them in a skip as unfit for resale.

In the corridor outside our room, a long corridor, there was a faint unpleasant smell, which I put down to cleaning products. Dark carpet with the numbers of the rooms woven into it, outside each dark door, a neat little trick!

The whole hotel was dark, purple, blue, orange and dark wood. A bit depressing really.

The food at breakfast was standard fare, and very average, the service was good. The dinning room was different to the rest of the hotel and quite attractively designed.

We didn't visit the bar, it was packed with wedding guests, we walked into town to go to a proper Irish pub.

We didn't dine here either we'd booked O'Connors, & Tom Crean in Kenmare. But the menu wouldn't have tempted me anyway.

I'm sorry to report that The Maritime Hotel fell short of our expectations. I would never ever consider staying there again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear John F

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. The hotel has a number of rooms which have air conditioning and if requested we could have given one of those rooms to you.

The lighting in the hotel is as a result of the low energy bulbs which made the property one of the top ten energy efficient "Green" properties in the country. The original bulbs for this are now being changed for bulbs with much higher illumination and we will have this rectified in the near future.

The hotel decor I suppose is a matter of taste and it may not please everyones. The Wi-Fi broadband in the Bantry area is very poor and we recognise that there are issues as a result of this. We hope to have this up to an acceptable level very shortly as we know how frustrating it is.

Again my thanks for your constructive review

Yours sincerely

Manager

Been to Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!