“Great staff great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Quay, Bantry, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bantry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kenmare
“Great staff great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We try to visit The Maritime 3 or 4 times a year and each time it exceeds our expectations. We booked the Penthouse suite and although the outside looks a bit weather beaten, the room itself is very spacious and comfortable. So good in fact we had dinner and breakfast there. I visited the bar while my wife had treatments in the Spa, both proved to be a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. We both left the Maritime with our batteries fully charged and relaxed, which was the whole point of our visit. Big thank you to all the staff, as always they could not do enough for us.

Room Tip: The Penthouse rooms are worth the money
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear bobbyblot

Thank you for the very kind Tripadvisor review about your most recent stay with us at the Maritime. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay once again. It is returning guests that prove the quality of the effort we try to give to all our visitors and I am glad we do it for you regularly. I will be passing your comments to all the team here and I'm sure they will be as well pleased with them as I am.

Again my thanks and we hope to have you both return again soon to recharge the batteries

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

stayed recently with work, and Ive stayed plenty before - good location, plenty of parking and 1 mins walk into town, plenty of pubs and restaurants close by.
The lay out of the place is starnge, seems to be split into 2 levels, and this requires taking 2 seperate lifts to get to some rooms, so its a bit of a maze - but thats not a major complaint.
Staff are fine, breakfast was good, room and pools nice.
Shame about the wooden hoarding just across the road from the hotel - kinda spoils what could be a nice view.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear brookevilledublin

As a regular visitor and contributor to Tripadvisor I was delighted with your comments recently posted about your stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I think it is great to have our frequent guests comment also as this keeps us on our toes. We know some of the imperfections in the area and with time we might be able to improve them but it is good to have reminders to see if we can try anything in the nearer future.

Anyway I would like to thank you again for the positive rating

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I always believe I am very fair in my assessments and am not given to writing poor reviews but some issues about this hotel really need to be highlighted.

Arriving after a long day travelling we were 'greeted' by the most unfriendly, unsmiling, unwelcoming receptionist I have ever encountered. Has this staff member not been trained in customer relations?? (19/9 pm) Had it been suitable I would have left straight away.

This design of this hotel means it is extremely long, meaning if your room is at the far end (as we were) using two different lifts and long corridor walks are required. (not recommended for elderly or infirm).

The room itself was very clean and well appointed. The en-suite was also spotless although warm water power very restricted - possibly because of our room's location. Wi-fi signal good although to access I had to make the long trip back to reception to obtain a unique code. (why did the receptionist not explain this??)

The bar area was very busy - bus tours use this hotel - but at least the young staff here were helpful and hard working

If you choose to stay here make sure you are used to the sound of traffic as the main road runs right along the front meaning road noise is clearly audible at all times. This of course meant early morning wakening for us.

Having had a morning walk around the town we returned for breakfast at just before 10am. (breakfast was served till 10.30). A table had to be cleaned for us - even though the room was mostly empty - and no explanation of procedeure was given. I had to ask for tea/coffee. The buffet hot breakfast was one of the worst I have been offered. The various items had obviously been sitting under heat lamps for quite a time as they were dried up. There was no floor service support as the waitresses seemed more interested in having personal conversations with each other. When one did appear to do some work she came to the table immediately beside us (2 feet) where she scraped unwanted food off plates and swept crumbs onto the floor before spraying the table with a bottle of cleanser!! That finished our breakfast.

We checked out shortly afterwards and will not be checking in here again. Additionally, the cost e120, was exhorbitant for the service offered.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
Dear Alasdair50

Firstly I would like to apologize for your lack of satisfaction with your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. Obviously our first impression on arrival influenced your visit with us and while the room and facilities were up to your expectations our delivery of service was lacking. For this I apologize.

My aim as manager is to deliver the highest possible standard of service on a consistent basis and your experience, while not reflective of the majority, does show that there are times that we let ourselves down badly. I will be bringing all your points raised to the attention of the persons involved and will hope to improve so that should you consider visiting again you can experience what the Maritime Service is really about.

Yours sincerely

Operations Manager
ballymena n . ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We have just returned from a 5 night stay in the Maritime. We were on a coach party, and were very quickly checked in by staff. All staff were very friendly , helpful and pleasant . The hotel was kept spotlessly clean( great decor , and really large comfortable beds) , great leisure facilities brilliant , and prob just about the best food I have tasted. If you are thinking of staying at the Maritime, dont think any longer ... just book it and go - you will not regret it .

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the bay ... try to get one
Dear jcksj752

What a precious picture you paint of your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor and we all thank you for it. I was particularly pleased that as a senior Tripadvisor reviewer you found everything so good especially the staff. I will be passing on your comments to all the team here and i am sure they will be as pleased.

As an aside I know there are people who monitor my replies so I just wonder will they get my comment on the "precious" ??

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Situated on the edge of Bantry town. Very good location. Few minutes from the main shopping and restaurant area Evening entertainment in the Hotel.Staff very helpful and pleasant. Food quality average.

Room Tip: Unfortunately rooms with view are beside main road. Provided windows kept closed quiet. Rooms locate...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear aoreilly_13

What good hotels like are return guests and frequently returning guests become part of our Family. Thank you for your kind Tripadvisor review even if it is from the Maritime's extended family. Like with all families we have our imperfections but you guys gloss over those and for this we thank you. Also thanks for introducing us to more of your family and friends and if I am correct they will be back for the First Friday Market in the future!!!!

Kind regards and we look forward to your next trip across the country!

Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

this was our 2nd stay here this year and a perfect way to round off the summer. There were 4 of us this time and from the moment we walked into the hotel we were treated lik one of the family. It is good to see that tghe standards of service are being maintained in all areas to the usual high standard.

The rooms were very clean and comfortable, Service in the bar and restaurant friendly and efficient as always, with all the staff making time to have a quick word with us. Thanks once again to James in the leisure centre for all his help in organising a birthday surprise spa break. Roll on next summer for another trip

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front, the view is spectacular.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear aoreilly_13

Once again it was great to have you return to us and this time sharing the experience with other members of your family. Thank you for your kind Tripadvisor review and I will pass it around to your extended family of friends here at the Maritime which I'm sure they will enjoy.

Look forward to your return soon

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel is really lovely if you like comfort and modern surroundings. We stayed in the family suite which was so worth the extra few Euro. We had baby with us and he had great fun rolling round the spaciouse living area. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The bar was nice and had entertainment on each night even though it was midweek. The Breakfast was just yummy and staff very helpful. The leisure cente was nice but, as per usual in hotels these days, the pool was way too cold for my liking and other guests also. I didn't want to bring my baby into the pool which was a dissappoint for me. Free parking also. The hotel is sort of 2 buildings so it takes a while to get used to the lifts for which area you need to go but you won't get lost. Very good hotel to stay in for exploring the area around. Would definately return. We were on 4th floor along the front of the hotel to have views of the bay. We didn't find the traffic to annoying but other guests we spoke to said the lower floors were noisy but its was people that lived in quiet areas and weren't used to traffic. Great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Millyhol

What a good review on Tripadvisor you gave us. I can see why they consider you a senior reviewer through the honesty of the review. Yes we were very good but you had one or two points that you expressed where we have room for improvement. I will discuss with the leisure center your comment regarding the children's pool and see if we cannot change this to your satisfaction.

Again it is really refreshing to get such a review as yours

My thanks

Operations Manager

Been to Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!