“Very disappointed!” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cork
“Very disappointed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We only stayed at the Maritime Hotel for 1 night but were very disappointed! The receptionist on check-in was not the most friendliest, we had to ask where we could park. The room was lovely. The food in the Bar was nice - could have had a bigger selection of a menu. Sadly did not have a great nights sleep with the air-conditioning unit humming in the room all night and no way of switching it off - even though the panel in the room showed it was off! When we mentioned this to the Receptionist (a different one but again not very friendly) on check-out, we were told that "that would have been the air-conditioning which has to run all the time". I do not believe this to be true as we have stayed at other hotels with air-conditioning and their units do not have to run continuously! The breakfast was nice, the staff were very prompt in seating and serving guests. There was a large selection on the buffet. We feel that Reception staff could do with a bit more basic training as it spoils the stay!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Barbara M

Thank you for your recent comments which you posted on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I was a little surprised at your comments regarding our reception staff who normally get the highest of praise from our guests and i will take your comments on board.

I was particularly pleased that you found our diningroom staff efficient and the service so prompt. As with all comments by our guests I will be passing these on to the team to improve where possible and offer the consistently highest level of service.

My thanks & kind regards

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed here two nights and had a lovely stay

The hotel is located just on the outskirts of bantry and a short walk to the town square, the area is well serviced by restaurants and bars

There is lot of parking available in the underground car park

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, there was a slight issue with the safe and the staff couldn't have been more helpful

The hotel itself is modern and maintained to a high standard throughout, and the rooms/bathrooms are spacious.

The gym is a good size for a hotel gym with 4 treadmills and good free weights area, similarly the sauna/steam rooms and pools are excellent

The breakfast buffet was good and they staff served tea/coffee to our tables immediately

In relation to value for money, based on the rate we got we found the hotel to be excellent value for money

Room Tip: Most of the 4th floor rooms have a balcony - well worth paying extra for these rooms for the views o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ConorFi

Thank you for your king comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Maritime which you posted up on Tripadvisor. I am always pleased when our staff and services live up to standard but more so when a senior contributor from Tripadvisor is positively satisfied.

I will be passing on your comments to the team here and I'm sure that they will be as happy as I am.

Again my thanks

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed in The Maritime Hotel for 4 days last week. From the moment I arrived until I left I could not have had better service in any hotel. The front desk staff were brilliant, the food was excellent and the rooms were great. We were on the 4th floor in room 404 and the view from our balcony was stunning. We had dinner in the restaurant twice and it exceeded all expectations. I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody. Valerie from Dublin

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear scarlett459

Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. Like your title I am blushing with pride that we were able to give you the experience and enjoyment. I will say that when you are watching sunsets from the 4th floor you really have to wonder is there any better view.

I will be passing on your comments to all the team who will be as happy as I am I'm sure.

Thanks & return again soon

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Nice hotel in a poor town. Bantry looks good on paper but fails to deliver in reality. The review is about the hotel so i'll get back to that!

The rooms are lovely. they are modern and everything you can expect from a 4 star hotel - well almost everything. the service was below average. We checked in to an unfriendly receptionist and it wasn't nice at all!

What a pity! Staff training needed (in the basics) or just hire naturally friendly reception staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Poitiers

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor which you recently posted about your stay with us at The Maritime Hotel. I really appreciate comments, particularly from Senior Tripadvisor commentators, about any aspect of their stay with us and all our team get to review all comments.

I was particularly happy with the rating you gave to 5 areas of the hotel but disappointed that one department drew down our rating so much. Having said this I was a bit surprised that our reception, normally our frontline crew because of their friendliness, was not to your satisfaction. I will be discussing your comments with them and asking that they give 100% of their friendly personalities into the future.

Again my thanks and we will be taking action to improve.

Yours sincerely

belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

just returned from a 4 nite stay at the hotel on a half board Wof very large circular tables to seat ten people. The menu had 3 choices for first second and third course. I thought i was the only one who did not enjoy any of the food i ate two scoops of mashed turnip but upon talking to others found the majority were the same. The second nite my husband and i paid extra to eat in the bar - the food served in the bar was very nice and resonably priced. We tried the function room the following nite again and most people were just eating small amounts I can honestly say we came out every nite still very hungry on the 3rd nite quite a number of people complained and we were fobbed off by a number of excuses ie the supplier didnt give them the meat that was ordered to name one and that it was their fault and not the chefs - you can make ur own mind up about that. The previous year we had stayed in the hotels sister hotel The Gleneagles in Killarney were we found absolutely nothing to complain about the layout, the food, the staff, and every thing was of an extremely high standard - the maritime management could do with sending their staff over to the Gleneagles to learn a thing or two. Sorry but we wont be back and neither will quite a few of our fellow travellers

Room Tip: When booking make a point of asking for a room close to reception and the lifts and at the front of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bettysayshello

I would like to thank you for your recent letter and valued feedback to Tripadvisor & The Maritime Hotel with regard to your stay with us.

We regret to hear that you have expressed disappointment particularly in relation to the food served at our hotel. However, we accept your comments fully and have made immediate steps to correct the matter in our F&B department. The beef was a major issue that week and that order was returned the next day to our butcher supplier as it was not up to standard by any means. We also have highlighted various other issues, eg rice & service to our kitchen department and they have assured me that this lapse in standards will not occur again.

To be honest, we haven’t had food complaints for a long time at The Maritime but unfortunately that particular week was so busy, that we we let our standards drop and seemed to have been overwhelmed with the large numbers.

It is certainly cause for concern for us when a guest does not fully enjoy their stay with us, and we do not wish this experience to be a defining one for you. All feedback is important to us as it highlights areas for improvement and we thank you sincerely for all your comments. Should you have occasion to visit us in the future, please contact me personally & I will arrange an upgrade for you and will endeavor to ensure that The team at The Maritime offers you a stay that is entirely memorable for all the right reasons.

Yours sincerely.

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

All my family stayed here for vacation.
The hotel is great, I would highly recommend it. The only problem I had was all the noise, a very noisy hotel, all the crashing and singing all through the night, people laughing and whistling all noise, noisy bar. That television.
But apart from the noise, staff were friendly and very good service, an excellent choice selection of food in the restarunt and in the bar also, and a very good breakfast. The room was emaculate, and hotel I love it. Also the swimming the children had a ball.
As my first time visiting Ireland I think it fantastic time in marintine hotel.
Thankyou

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Elizabeth M

Thank you for your kind rating of The Maritime Hotel which you posted on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. I am a little puzzled regarding the noise you mentioned but if this was a weekend then you were possibly in while there was an Irish wedding in progress......

I am delighted with your rating of service and staff friendliness and will be passing on all your comments to the crew as their efforts are what make an experience for our guests.

Again my thanks and hope to see you back, possibly when there isn't a wedding in place!

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I had the privilege of being in The Maritime Hotel on Wednesday May 28 . I was with a group of 22 for dinner in the restaurant and could not believe how well we were catered for . The Hotel was full to the rafters. We had a reservation and we were attended to by the very courteous bar staff serving us with pre -dinner drinks.
We were then seated in the restaurant,by a very efficient lady called Helen , orders taken by a lovely waitress, . Our food was served as ordered and was so delicious ( not a morsel of food left on any plate ).
I will definitely be recommending The Maritime to my friends and will be visiting again in the future for a short break to enjoy the other facilities including spa and swimming pool

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Bracken_9

Thank you for the very kind review you posted on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us and the service you received in the Ocean Restaurant at the Maritime Hotel. I will be passing on your comments to Helen and her team as I'm sure she will derive as much satisfaction from them as I did.

Our efforts are to strive to achieve the best and in your case it seems we made it which is great and we look forward to having you back in the not too distant future.

Operations Manager

Been to Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!