“Quirky 1940s charm and good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bantry Bay Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bantry
Bantry Bay Hotel
You added Bantry Bay Hotel to your Saves list
Wolfe Tone Square | Bantry, West Cork, Bantry, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bantry
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Port Dover, Canada
“Quirky 1940s charm and good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Ireland is a land where the B&B is king. That said, when I arrived in Bantry (solo) I wanted to try something different and so for €50 chose to stay in the Bantry Bay hotel. Bottom line is I've stayed in much worse for much more in my native Canada. Had I been travelling with my wife and it been €50 per person then I would be voting negative. For just me however - with my bohemian tastes in travel - it was fine. Constructed in the 1940s (1946?) you have to expect small rooms, odd window placement and cranky plumbing. Taken in the context of a small provincial european hotels however it was clean and no little effort has been spent trying to create a pleasant atmosphere in the common areas - Effort that I felt succeeded with a nautical theme that felt more right than contrived and little surprises like a first floor parlour/reading room that was a trip back to 1910. I suspect the extensive pub and restaurant downstairs brings in more revenue overall than room rentals - short of investing the winnings of the Irish sweepstakes I can't see how the owners could do more with this place than they have. Where I DO recommend this place is the location and the food. Located on the central square you can not get more central to Bantry, its pubs, restaurants and waterfront. I wanted to enjoy a pint or two and some local pub music and so didn't want to have to drive to and from a B&B on the outskirts of town. The Bantry Bay fit the bill perfectly for me and the breakfast the next day was a highlight. After 10 days of either "Full Irish" or porridge for breakfast I was delighted to find I could order a filet of fresh plaice for breakfast here. Maybe not YOUR idea of breakfast but it was delicate and as fresh as fresh can be and one of the best breakfasts I had during my 3 weeks in Eire. My advice regarding the Bantry Bay Hotel is to put aside 21st century North American expectations and try and imagine an earlier time. While probably not worth €100 for a couple if you factor in great breakfasts it is good value for the solo traveller. I personally would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed for one night and was not tempted to stay another. Rooms are very old fashioned and noisy. Shower !! better off jumping into the bay. The breakfast was nice however. Verdict too expensive would have been better off going to B&B.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
hua hin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We walked off the street as we found the exterior to the hotel charming.The staff were charming and the bar was great and welcoming with good food and Guinness . That is it really were it starts to go abit wrong .For the fans of "Doctor Who" well it was like getting into the tardis and out again into a 1980's room.The decor was very dated and the bathroom was as bad.So if your a fan of retro revival holidays with the chance of using some old beds it's for you.The morning after started as bad , a dray delivery at 7:30 woke us up ,and I am sure the truck was completely emptied and rearranged again,which happened under are bathroom window.Could the management arranged for a later delivery? Or had a word with driver to tell him people are still in bed ?We could hear the room above awake as well.So to some it up move on! If they had spent as much money on the rooms as the bar it would be a winner , but there you go.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
vivian o, Owner at Bantry Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Jason S,
Many thanks for posting a review following your recent stay at the Bantry Bay Hotel.
It is probably fair to say that it is a review of two halves and while we welcome your positive remarks regarding the service you received, the Wheelhouse bar experience and so on, we also take much interest in your comments in respect of the less positive aspects of your stay.
We are acutely aware that many of our bedrooms are in need of redecoration and upgrading at the moment. In fact, we have recently carried out such work in some of our bedrooms but it is a work in progress.
The Bantry Bay Hotel is a small independent, family-owned hotel and as such we try to improve and invest in our facilities when, essentially, we can afford it. In recent years we have invested significantly in certain areas of the hotel and while some of this investment will be obvious to guests e.g. the hotel lobby, more of it will be invisible to most guests e.g the hotel kitchen.
In normal circumstances, the hotel bedrooms would have been improved in the past 4-5 years but, unfortunately, the economic realities we face mean that this has been impossible.
As for the keg delivery in the early morning, on investigation it appears to have been something of an abberation and one for which we apologise to you.
In conclusion, we appreciate your comments and hope that we can learn from them.

Yours sincerely,
Vivian O'Callaghan,
Proprietor, Bantry Bay Hotel
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Great location.
Plain but good value bar food and nice bar.
€100 for a tiny double room with an incredibly squishy mattress in this day and age. Tiny 20 year old remote control tv with 4 channels.
Decent breakfast and very charming service by the receptionist/waitress/general do it all.

• Stayed July 2012
vivian o, Owner at Bantry Bay Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Celticcoffeman,
Thank you for your review posted during July 2012. I must apologise for the delay in responding but I wanted to do so when I had some positive news to impart!
Since your review we have invested in new beds and televisions throughout the hotel. So, if you could be persuaded to return us on your next visit to Bantry, we can promise that as well as a warm welcome you will enjoy state of the art flatscreens with plenty of TV and radio channels and a seriously comfy bed!
Again, our thanks for your review,
Kinds regards,
Vivian O'Callaghan
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stopped in there one Saturday night lately not wanting to travel all the way home to the other side of County Cork. The front of the Hotel looks ok and the reception area is very modern..however that is where it stops.
The rooms were less than warm and my fiancee had to ask them to turn it on after all it was December. The heat eventually came on and was promptly turned off again at around 12am that night.
I didnt shower in the artic conditions in the bathroom either and the next morning we were leaving early so went with just a sink job!
The TV was ancient and the duvet less than 10tog if you asked me they werent expecting a crowd that night to drop in
We were told on arrival that the front of the hotel could be noisy at night so we asked to be put at the back of the hotel.
The Chowder we had for dinner was excellent and looked forward to a great breakfast...which was only average and served in the bar. We had to choose our cereals and other items from off the top of the end of the bar while some guy enjoyed his pint first thing in the morning....not good!
I wont be rushing back and wished I had now gone out the road to one of the other hotels.
Finally, please upgrade your hotel you have a prime location and the half hearted effort isnt impressing anyone...!

Room Tip: Ask if there is any action going to be happening front of the hotel at night so you can leave and go...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
vivian o, Owner at Bantry Bay Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Madge 871,

Thank you for your recent review of The Bantry Bay Hotel. We are working extremely hard to improve our guest experience and reviews like yours are extremely encouraging.
We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Vivian and Pauline O'Callaghan
cork ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

didnt stay in hotel,but popped in for lunch with my inlaws that were on hols from London.The bar was empty and it was just after 2.30 the waitress reeled off what was left, my inlaws asked was she speaking gaelic she was hard to understand.she told us to sit we expected her to drop a menu but it took her about ten minutes to get one to us,we saw an all day breakfast ,she had to check to see if the chef would do it(all day breakfast!)ordered a breakfast toasted special and a panini,it took forever panini was burnt to a crisp on one side and turned upside down on plate to hide it,i had to change it, it was inedible,it took 35 mins to get the first lot of food ie all day breakfast toastie and panini teas and cofees came 35 mins after ordering them,had to wait another half hour for replacement panini.which was supposed to be spicy chicken it was regular chicken covered in sweet chilli sauce,got two portions of undercooked raw chips ,couldnt complain as i was ashamed in the company of my inlaws.cost 31.50euro wont eat there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
vivian o, Owner at Bantry Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Dear Dianecon,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Bantry Bay Hotel.
I can only convey my disappointment and regret that some of the food you ordered was not of the desired standard and I apologise on behalf of everyone at the Bantry Bay Hotel.
I was particularly dismayed to read about the poor service that you alluded to in your review and investigated thoroughly the circumstances surrounding it.
The facts I uncovered are somewhat inconsistent with those presented in your review and I feel that in the interests of the Tripadvisor ethos and in fairness to the staff member concerned, I should point out these inconsistencies. Security footage from the hotel bar on Nov 11th 2011 suggests the following:

- You and one of your guests arrived at the hotel at 3.34pm and proceeded to sit down.
- You were presented with menus at 3.36pm and it was explained to you that, at that time of the day, the menu was limited to soups, sandwiches, paninis, wraps etc.
- You were joined by a third person and when asked at 3.40pm whether you were ready to order, you indicated that you were not.
- At 3.43pm, your server, responding to a request by one of your party, enquired as to whether an "all day breakfast" could be prepared and at 3.45pm your order was taken.
- Your server returned to your table a further three times before delivering your food to your table at 4.06pm.
- At 4.09pm, you returned your panini to the kitchen.
- At 4.19pm your replacement panini was served to you.

Your version of events suggests a member of staff who is ineffecient and unintelligible which, with due repect, is unfair if not mildly insulting.
I fully appreciate that the accuracy of one's recollection of an event can diminish over time. However, given the potentially serious repercussions for employees, I would urge you strive for greater factual accuracy when posting future reviews.

We would be delighted to get the opportunity to reverse the experience of your last visit and hope that you might consider calling to us at a future date.

Yours sincerely,

Vivian O'Callaghan,
Proprietor.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

nice rooms friendly staff,ideal location for shops bars restaurants and nicely priced

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Bantry Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!