“Lovely hotel spoiled by poor service and uncomfortable beds” 3 of 5 stars

Liss Ard Estate
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Castletownsend Rd, Skibbereen, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 12 Skibbereen B&B and Inns
Tipperary
“Lovely hotel spoiled by poor service and uncomfortable beds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a relaxing well-appointed house hotel with roomy lounge and living areas. Decor is excellent and the grounds interesting although a bit unkempt. The high quality art creates a special atmosphere and a relaxing lounge allows for mixing with other guests and watching TV. The hotel is child friendly with a well-equipped children's play room. The bedroom was quiet and well designed with a lovely Japanese feel. Unfortunately the bed was well below standard - hard and uncomfortable and my wife developed back pain as a result. This is a major negative and is the main reason we would not consider a return visit. Housekeeping was poor - room left dusty, bed poorly made up, shower jell and shampoo not replaced. Evening meal was a major disappointment. I had asked for no peppers as I explained I have an allergy to them. The main fish dish arrived smothered in peppers and I had to wait 15 minutes for a replacement by which time my wife had finished her dish - very poor service. Neither of our meals were in any way special although quite expensive. The menu was misleading - chicken casserole turned out to be chicken curry! The breakfast was OK but several items on the menu were not available. We wanted to love this hotel but despite its many positive elements we left disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

the staff here are amazing and will go out of thier way to help in any way. there are not like in most hotels, sicophanitic, they are simply friendly. the rooms are very clean and the beds are very comfy. because its small you are treated like a guest rather than a client. I only have 2 reservations to our stay. the wifi barely worked and when it did it was exceptionally slow. We couldnt check the weather on my phone and it was neccessary!
The second thing was the choice of food at the dinnner. the food was amazing and i mean incrediable however being limited to a set menu at 32.50 wasnt great. its a pity you could have just a dinnerfor a tenner or something along those lines, other than that i loved the place. staff in the resteraunt were brilliant with my daughter. couldnt have asked for more.
If you have children you should stay here. they will love the playroom and all the facilites liss ard has to offer, you cant go wrong for a place to stay for a family holiday

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Arrived at Liss Ard for a short break and stayed in the Lake Lodge which is a ten min walk from the main house on the lake side. The setting is absolutely stunning and we were blessed with the weather. The walks between the Lake Lodge and the main house is along beautiful leafy trails. The Sky Garden Crater is an amazing feature.

The room was large and luxurious with a really confortable bed. The dinner in the restaurant was very good and the breakfast was also very good. The manager of the resort is very attentive and informative and really gives the personal touch to the guests,

Highly recommend and due to the short duration of our stay we were unable to partake in the on site activites such as canoeing, cycling and fishing. Will recommnend and hopefully return.

Room Tip: Dont choose the Lake Lodge if your not prepared to walk 10 mins to the main house.
Athlone, Westmeath, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I arrived at Lis Ard house on a long bumpy road to check in only to be informed that my accomadation was in another building. I was instructed to follow a battered 4x4 Jeep approximately one mile up a very dangerous amd intimidating road with the ever present fear of slipping off this road on my mind throughout this journey.
Upon arrival , after being greated by a very well meaning porter, I was informed by him that ,contrary to my booking ,I was placed in a self catering apartment and that i would have to travel back down the dangerous road in the morning for breakfast.
According to the webesite Lis ard house was meant to be a two minute drive from town but I found this clain to be both highly exaggerated and completely inaccurate.
After complaining to the manager , I was informed that 100% of my money would not be refuunded and I find this to be outrageous given the circumstances I incurred on my very brief visit to Lis Ard house.
Also the phone number given on the website does not work making contact both difficult and frustrating.
I have since been informed that I would be contacted by a representative of the hotel but I several working days have passed and I have gotten no word from any such representative.
As a public representative I intend to pursue this issue until the matter has been resolved to a satisfactory degree.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Celbridge, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I booked a 2 night romantic break and was not disapointed. From the initial conversation with Kate on the telephone who was extremely helpful and polite.
Upon our arrival we were made to feel at home and as mentioned by Arthur the manager, Liss Ard is not a hotel but a country house. They certainly achieved what they set out to do, create a relaxed, informal and entirely pleasureable experience.
The food was excellent, both breakfast and dinner. A well chosen menu of local, fresh produce delightfully cooked and presented. the wine list was excellent in both choice and price.
The room was spacious and tatsefully furnished. The gardens are vast and beautiful. The sky garden crater a unique and rewarding experience.
All in all a throughly enjoyable stay, the staff were attentive yet unobtrusive.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

I could write hundreds of words to describe the most delightful 2 night stay I had here when I brought my parents. However you have to experience this first hand to fully appreciate the 5 star service at this amazing hotel.
From the minute of our arrival to the time of our departure we were treated so well....Arthur is a fabulous host and we wanted for nothing.... The rooms, the setting, the food and the service all come at a standard so high it is refreshing. It was so relaxing especially being able to unwind in the gorgeous drawing rooms before and after dinner! A beautiful entrance hall awaits adorned with a piano that I was able to play.... They even had music books...So it was nice to be able to provide some background music after dinner !!
My parents loved every moment of our stay.... Both enjoying back massage treatments in the beauty rooms that Arthur so kindly arranged for them. Nothing was too much trouble.
Outside the grounds of the hotel were enchanting .... I loved my walks around the park with so many hidden places...

So thanks a million to Liss Ard .... I will definitely be returning !!!

• Stayed May 2012
Cork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Was really looking forward to staying here, but sadly left feeling very left down.

And the BAD, it started before we even arrived. We got a phone call 2 hours before we were supposed to arrive telling us our room might not be available on arrival. Check-in is not till 2pm so to say a room would not even be available until even after that late in the day is not a good start. I asked them to prioritize our room if they could and they said they would. Found out afterwards that there were at most 3-4 rooms being used the night we stayed, so why they could not have 3-4 rooms cleaned before check-in is a bit strange.

When we arrived were told that the main house was not ready to use as they were still cleaning it after a wedding the night before (this was 2:30pm), when shown to our room we had to pass bundles of dirty sheets and towels in the hall as well as empty beer bottles. We then had to step over more dirty sheets and a hover to get to our room (photo uploaded). The hover (although moved further down the hall) and the sheets now moved to the side of the hall, they were still there when we checked out the next day. Never saw a cleaner the whole time we were there.

The room itself was spotless and the decor was very nice, but we had booked a "Garden Mews Superior Room". The room beside us we not being used and the door left open, so I had a look as this was also a superior room at the same price, it was about 50% larger in size and had a fridge and bath. I asked to be move but was told the sink was broken. As all the empty rooms had their doors open I could see that we seemed to be the only ones without a fridge or bath. Not really Superior.

The grounds although very beautiful seemed to be open to the public. We went for a walk and was meet by a man (not a guest) walking four big dogs through the grounds, that started barking at us the moment we were in view, and three teenager drinking cans in the sky garden. Not what you want from a romantic walk.

Dinner that night in the main house was the best part of our stay, food was beautiful and the service from the waitress was excellent. Great value at €37 per person. The rooms of the house are really beautiful.

Slept well, the beds are very comfortable.

Breakfast though was a big disappointment. The full irish consistent of 1 Sausage, 1 Rasher, 1 Fried Egg (and 1 Tomato, but thats really a garnish). No offer as to how the egg might be cooked or other options for breakfast.

Overall, the whole stay seemed like we were the after thought. There was a weeding the night before and it seems like that was the priority and the guest the next day forgotten about.

Could be brilliant but the little details really left them down. I can see how it has a good rating because if things ran smoothly it could be great and at €125 for a room for the night it is not bad value.

But things have to run smoothly everyday, not just on the big days.

Room Tip: If you book a Garden Mews Superior Room make sure you get No.6 not No.5, they are both classed as Su...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Liss Ard Estate? Share your experiences!