“Lovely Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cork
“Lovely Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Hotel is very deceiving hotel from the front, but once you enter the Reception it has a lovely classy modern feel. Lady on Front desk was lovely and very welcoming. Once you leave the lift on the 1st floor some rooms can be a bit of a maze to find. I had a lovely good sized room looking over the front of the hotel, but once I got there the thought did cross my mind as to what’s the most straight forward way to get back downstairs? But this is far from a complaint about the hotel.
It has held onto its traditional layout well while providing a very comfortable stay. The bathroom is narrow but they have worked well with the space and not as bad as some expressed.

My stay was due to work reasons on this visit but it is definitely a Hotel I would come back to and stay for a lovely weekend in West Cork.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

i emailed the hotel in advance requesting a quite room and was emailed back straight away.in fact out of 4 others on our trip it was the only one that did..arrived early and had nice lunch..which had a bit of a delay cos the waitress told me my toasted sandwich had fallen off the plate so they had to make more..i wonder how many places are that upfront and instead just shove it back on the plate..had dinner here too and was lovely..staff were great..rooms are fine maybe abit warm in summer..outside you can sit on a old railway bridge that has been converted into a smoking area/beer garden over the river...nice on a sunny day .i will be back

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

This looks like a fab hotel when you walk in the door but the minute you go to the front desk expect a frosty reception. We felt like we were inconveniencing her.
Rooms were all over the place, very difficult to climb stairs with heavy baggage to the older part of the hotel. Furniture was shabby, smell of cigarette smoke in a non smoking room. Useless hairdryer. Very hot that day and couldn't leave the window open for safety reasons. No wifi for laptop.
Breakfast: couldn't get orders right, took 3 attempts to get my cousin's request correct. But when we got it, I loved the full Irish!
The following day there was a wedding at the hotel, and cars had to drive over the red carpet outside to get to the very small carpark, very embarrassing. Music stopped at 3am under my room. My cousin's room was right beside the generator and this meant she couldn't open the window in the hot room. She did get a new room the next day though. We asked for extra tea/milk etc for the room and didn't get it for 3 hours. There was only one cleaner for all the rooms which we thought was cruel to her. So, to give her a break we told her to skip our room and believe me she was grateful.
All in all, it's a fabulous part of the country but because we have no choice doesn't give the hotel the excuse for frosty staff.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
KarenBuchanan, Salesa Manager at West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Hello Lorraine,
Thank you for your review I was most disappointed to read in your review that you felt our reception staff were frosty, as we pride ourselves on giving a warm welcome to our guests.
However we appreciate feedback and we apologise sincerely for the problems you encountered while staying here. We hope that in the future we may have the opportunity to redeem ourselves,
Kind regards,
Karen
Tralee, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Our stay at the West Cork Hotel was thouroughly enjoyable and we would not hesitate to stay with you again.

The breakfast menu was marvellous and to be honest was better than most similar hotels that we have stayed in.

Our dinner on the first night was so good that we also had the E15 special on the thursday night and both the food and the service was exceptional.

Our room fitted the bill but my wife was dissappointed that we could not get the radio on the tv set as she likes to listen to Lyric radio in the morning.Prehaps we did not press

the correct button.

Skibbereen is a great gateway to the West Cork area with Clonakilty on one side and Mizen Head,Bantry etc.on the other.

Finally,I must pay tribute to all the staff at the hotel who we found to be very helpful and friendly at all times and for the great service which they provided.

All our friends and relatives have been told of our most enjoyable stay with you at the West Cork.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
KarenBuchanan, Sales Manager at West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Hello Padraig,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great reveiw. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at The West Cork Hotel. I have passed your compliments onto our staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future,
Kind regards,
Karen Buchanan
Kildare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Booked a 3 night B&B plus 1 Dinner Break. I had emailed ahead of our arrival date looking for an upgrade, which I might add I was willing to pay for. Firstly no one replied to the email, I had to phone them. I was assured the room to the front was large and recently refursibhed. Large it wasn't, refurbished it was, however it was at the front of the hotel and when I had enquired I was told it was a bit noisey but that I'd have a choice of a room at the side as they weren't booked up that week. The noise from the road was quite loud. I requested we be moved, I was given a key to the "only other available room "(!) this looked out on a flat roof with extactor fans from the kitchen.....I doubted it was the only room left but anyone given a choice would have done as we did and took our chances with nicer view and nicer room and stayed put. only to discover later that evening that shower wasn't working properly. We were told they would check the pump. Came back to the room later that night.....shower wasn't fixed! Following morning we complained and mentioned the noise from the family upstairs, who we thought were going to come through the ceiling at one point!!!!! We were told our bags would be moved to a new room...headed off for the day, hair unwashed !!! I enquired about rooms at the side of the hotel, near the bridge, which had lovely views and was told they were twin rooms. Any way, when we got back we were given a choice of two other rooms, opted for the larger one, naturally.......as we moved in so too did a family into the next room, 3 kids who sounded like 10 kids once they got started!!!! On the way down to check out on our last day two of the rooms I had enquired about were open as they were being cleaned......they were not twin rooms but double rooms!! That topped it all off for me, and yes, when I got to reception and was asked was everything ok I didn't say a word, we were encountering Receptionist No 3 at this point and as I couldn't stand to be fobbed off yet again with some more lies and excuses, I'd heard enough at that stage, I just paid the bill and left!!! Food was ok, waiting staff and bar staff were friendly and efficient. Overall impression and experience.......... disappointing. BTW, one receptionist told me that when the hotel is full they usually expereince problems with the showers...be warned!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for the feedback in your review. I was very disappointed to read of the problems you encountered while staying with us at the West Cork Hotel. I have brought all points to the attention of Management & staff and I can guarantee that the issues are being dealt with.
Regards,
Karen Buchanan,
Roswell, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

We stayed at this hotel at the end of our vacation. We wanted to be near our Irish family who lived in Skibbereen. We arrived late after a long day of traveling from the north of Galway. Although the restaraurant was closed, they made us some great sandwiches and salad to enjoy with our pint in their pub. The rooms were comfortable and clean. What makes this hotel great is the staff. Everyone was friendly, and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. While we did not eat any other meals beyond breakfast due to family plans, I wanted to enjoy the dinners they were serving. Each night they served a special that was obviously a hit as the place was packed. Our last night in the hotel, we went to the pub late after a family party only to find a large group of customers enjoying the pub and singing Irish songs. We were immediately encourage to join them and we ended out trip with great memories.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
clare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

This hotel had everything Location, Food, Room Quality.
From the moment we checked in we felt welcome. The receptionist treated us as if we were age old friends. The room was huge and had one of the most comfortable beds i ever slept in. The hotel is right on the bank of the River Ilen. The hotel have put a lovely little promenade with seating so you can relax wathing tghe fish in the river below. They have also converted an old Bridge into an outdoor seating area and you can watch the heron stalking the fish below it. We found a lovely, lively little pub up the road Cahalanes which had a lovely pint of Guiness.
So the best parts of the hotel: Food, Room, Location
Worst parts: Finally a hotel which didnt have any.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
KarenBuchanan, Sales Manager at West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review on the West Cork Hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We have passed your compliments onto our head Chef, Dean Diplock, and his hard working team in the kitchen. They are thrilled with your feedback, as our house keeping staff. We appreciate all feedback but compliments such as this give everybody at the hotel a great boost. Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future, Karen.

Been to West Cork Hotel? Share your experiences!