“Great Hotel - ignore any bad reviews!” 5 of 5 stars

West Cork Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ilen Street, Skibbereen, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skibbereen
Chester
“Great Hotel - ignore any bad reviews!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

We stayed at the West Cork Hotel for 2 nights over the Cork X South West Music Festival. We were anxious as we had read some dubious reviews on this site and I am delighted to say that I can't give the hotel anything but the greatest of praise. The staff were fabulous - always smiling and really helpful. Just my opinion, but it came across that the staff enjoyed working there by the welcome that was extended to us. The food was superb - breakfast was great, and we also ate in the bar and really enjoyed it. The hotel has obviously recently had extensive refurbishment but has retained it's character and charm. Our room was huge, really comfy big bed, sofa, clean and nicely decorated. It's dead handy for the shops and bars of the town and a great base to explore the South West of Ireland. Would highly recommend this anyone.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

The hotel is in a great location, central but quiet, and is at present undergoing a lot of refurbishment work which should make it very attractive (in particular, turning the old railway bridge into an extension of the bar strikes me as a brilliant idea). Our room was very large and very clean, but I would have welcomed a real wardrobe - the space was definitely there, but I've often noticed that people who refurbish hotel rooms like to waste space on things visitors can easily do without, rather than on useful features such as wardrobes (is it that they consider them vulgar, I wonder?). The bathroom was also spotlessly clean, however my husband complained that he couldn't get the toilet seat to stay upright, and the bathtub arrangements (position of taps etc) were a bit awkward.

Breakfast was nice, although the choice wasn't fantastic (why, for instance, serve industrial French yoghurt and not one of the really excellent West Cork brands?), and had the great advantage of being served until quite late. The restaurant impressed us the first time we tried it; we were less happy the second time.

The most negative feature of the WCH, however, seemed to be an absence of coordination and organisation, in other words, a lack of hands-on management. I really appreciate the fact that the manager takes the trouble to read our reviews and react to them, however, this can quickly become just a cosmetic exercise if his/her basic tasks (ensuring, as I said, coordination and organisation) end up taking second place to PR. Now, too often we had the impression that one hand didn't know what the other was doing, and that things were left a bit vague. One example: one night we came back at 11.30 (not exactly late, especially in summer) and, although the front door was open, found nobody at reception. We didn't have our room key with us, since we'd handed in before going out, as customers are asked to do, and started getting a bit worried when we rang the bell and nobody seemed to have heard it. I started wandering around to look for some member of staff, but the place looked completely deserted. Finally a young man appeared (I didn't get the impression that this was in answer to the bell) and gave us our key.

It's true there is a notice at reception reminding customers to ask for keys to the hotel if they intend to come back after midnight (meaning, I suppose, all staff will be gone by that time), but this was NOT midnight, and we felt it was unfair to customers (in a hotel where one pays around €100 a night) to have such sloppy arrangements. I wouldn't like to think that absence of any real competition in Skibbereen (the Eldon Hotel having been out of the equation for a while) is making the WCH less sensitive than it should be to the overall needs of its customers.

WCORK, Manager at West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us and we value your comments, we will certainly keep your suggestions in mind when we begin refurbishments on our bedrooms. I can only apologise that you were not met on your return to the hotel, our night porter is on duty when reception staff finish and sometimes he may need to leave the reception area to tend to our other guests.
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

The West Cork Hotel was a very pleasurable stay. In all honesty I could not find one thing to complain about, the room was excellent, the food good especially the late up to breakfast noon each day such a great idea, the bar was comfortable and well laid out. What the West Cork had in abundance was a staff who all went the extra mile in meeting our needs a rare feature these days.

I do hope to return at some stage in the future.

WCORK, Manager at West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Thank you for your comments, our 12 noon breakfast has indeed proved popular with our guests, glad you enjoyed it and we hope to see you again soon.
Worcestershire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Had to stay in Skibbereen when I missed my last sales call.Have always gone futher round coast to Bantry or Clonakilty because the only hotel in town(The West Cork )looked pretty run down and right on the main road. So was very pleasantly surprised by my stay last week.Room was large and spacious with excellent facilities and very quiet even though the builders were in.Only slight gripe was the free Wifi wouldnt reach my room, was fine in lounge and bar downstairsthough.
The food was the real bonus, they certainly have a chef who knows his stuff. The seafood chowder was the best I`ve ever had, better even than in New England...... and the homemade pies were brilliant. They do a Pie and Pint ( or wine)deal for 10 euro that comes with side salad etc and that was the best value meal I had in my whole week in Ireland.
Staff were all very friendly too, previous reviewers must have been in a different place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
WCORK, Manager at West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
I would like to thank you for your very kind comments and I hope we will see you again soon for a pie & a pint!
Kind Regards
Management West Cork Hotel
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

We went to the West Cork Hotel because the B&B we'd booked around the corner had forgotten our booking and was closed.

On arrival (travelling with my mum) we enquired if they had any rooms and how much they were. The lady at reception was a bit surly and would clearly preferred not to have been bothered. When I asked to see one of the rooms before we made a decision she looked at me a bit funny, like I was asking for something out of the ordinary. She showed us quite a nice room and we decided to take two at €60 pppn.

We checked in and were then left to struggle upstairs with our bags (no lift and no offer of help). Mum took the room we'd been shown and I took the other which turned out to be more spartan, smaller, had a smaller bed and quite cold. The heating wouldn't turn on. I had a pint of Murphy's in the bar which was nice enough and there seemed to be some local regulars in the bar. We ate in the town for dinner (another unpleasant episode as it goes) as there had only been one couple dining in the starrk and univiting dining area which overlooked some scaffolding.

At 7.45 the next morning I was woken by builders, clinking scaffolding, sawing, drilling and something beeping like a fire alarm. On heading down to breakfast (by which time the workmen were using a pile driver just outside the breakfast room). There were a few other involuntary early risers at the tables but no one to greet us. We helped ourselves to juice (from concentrate, not fresh) and I had a pot of strawberry yoghurt some chopped melon and apple soaked in the same OJ and a few slices of toast. An odd woman eventually came out and offered us tea or coffee, asked our room number then started demanding to know what the woman at the table next to us had had to eat. We declined the fry and checked out.

On mentioning I wasn't best pleased at being woken up by the building works and that we probably wouldn't have stayed had we been informed there were building works going on to the receptionist (nicer than the previous day's) she didn't apologise but told us they’d tried to ask them to leave it as late as possible (as if it were beyond their control when they pay their builders to work!).

It was okay, but I wished we'd got back in the car and driven on down the coast a bit further and found somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed June 2009
WCORK, Manager at West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2009
I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay and I am sorry that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay.
It is true at present we are carrying out refurbishment, which will enhance the hotel greatly especially with the addition of the lift we are installing which should be up and running within the next two weeks. As with all refurbishment there is a certain amount of disruption to our guests (which we advise our guests in the form of a letter in their room)
I would hope should you choose to return to Skibbereen that our refurbishments will be complete and you will have a more enjoyable stay.
Thanks again for sharing your comments,
Kind Regards
Management at The West Cork Hotel
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

The Room was terrible, the wallpaper oldfashioned and dirty the curtains haven't had a wash for a long time, the itchy blunkets a health hazzard and the cold shower in the morning due to lack of hot water epic.
The location and local amenities are as expected for a small town but the actual hotel was dissapointing.
No one at the reception desk when we checked in and on the day that we were going home the man at the reception didn't even ask us how was our stay!!! Extremely rude, seemed disturbed by the fact that he had to be interupted as he was reading a newspaper!!! Class...
We will never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
WCORK, Manager at West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
Dear Ms McCarthy

Thank you for your review, your comments are very much appreciated - it will help us to further improve our facilities.
Since your stay we have re-decorated a number of our bedrooms and we have also removed the blankets and replaced them with duvets.
I do apologise for you not being welcomed on arrival and also that you were not asked how your stay was. As we are a small hotel during the quite season it is not always possible to have a receptionist on duty throughout the day. We have recruited recently and we would hope that should you decide to return to visit us that we can make your stay an enjoyable one to be remembered.
Managerment
Limerick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

My husband and I spent the easter weekend at The West Cork, Hotel which was a great base for us to cycle around the local area. If you're anything like us and enjoy the outdoors and want somewhere cozy to relax after an action packed day cycling from Skib to Ballydehob and Schull then this is the place to do it!! The bar food is great if like us you don't fancy a sit down meal in the restaurant (but we did have a lovely brekkie there each morning!) The staff were geniuely friendly and went out of there way to help us, they even stored our bikes safely for us!! Thanks to everyone for making it a memorable trip for us - hope to see you all on our return trip when we hope to cycle to Mizen Head!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to West Cork Hotel? Share your experiences!